Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 03:06 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We are spending this summer in Utah and it is a beautiful state. But at 80% LDS, we just don't feel its the right place for us longterm.
If you like Utah physically, parts of Eastern Idaho, Wyoming, Eastern WA and Eastern OR are broadly similar. I'm in Eastern WA and at least the part of it I'm in is fairly low COL. Does get hot in summer, I hear 100F is possible this weekend, but usually the heat does not last long term, same with cold - I have seen -20F for a day or two in winter.

I hear you on Utah. To me the practical problem is when one's neighbors average about 8 kids each, the tax bite to pay for schools is going to be big.

When you say you want to be near "water" - do you mean salt water, or will a lake or river do it for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 03:11 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Nevada and AZ, we worry about lack/expense of water.
I wouldn't rule out Boulder City, Henderson and Las Vegas. Yes, we get water from Lake Meade, but Nevada uses much less than its allocation share because of excellent water recycling programs. Monthly water bills are no problem. Electricity is inexpensive as well.

You can also do what many of us do - have a primary home and a vacation home in another area.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:32 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Check out this site
https://weatherspark.com/averages/33...-United-States

Plug in any town/zip code and look at the bell curve for temps across the year
Also has daylight info, cloud cover/patterns, rain by month...through...

Honolulu looks pretty good but don't know about humidity levels
There are local/close areas listed upper right
These are based on weather stations' data so might not be exact town you are asking for

Last edited by loves2read; 05-31-2016 at 03:41 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 03:44 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
East TN, southwest VA, and western NC have fairly mild climate, but it's humid in the summer, although no Florida.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:48 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
We have decided to rule out Oregon and Utah. We want mild weather. Near enough to a city for outings. Near good hiking. Near water. Probably in a place where there are many other retirees to connect with. Texas is not for us because the weather makes hiking difficult about 4 months out of the year and there's little natural beauty. SC is too humid. Nevada and AZ, we worry about lack/expense of water. We don't want CA because we think taxes are high as well as real estate in any areas close to good cities. Same applies to Seattle & Portland.

Anyone happy in the Tampa Bay area? Anyone liking the Philadelphia area for retirees?

Any other ideas? We will use all of 2017 to travel to different potential destinations so I am planning now.....
You might still consider Oregon; just choose Southern Oregon.

Crater Lake is there:

Check out the map for Southern Oregon, which includes northern California for nice outings, too.

We enjoy the Ashland Shakespeare Festival:

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 05-31-2016 at 04:01 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 04:06 PM

519 posts, read 582,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
You might still consider Oregon; just choose Southern Oregon.

Crater Lake is there:

Check out the map for Southern Oregon, which includes northern California for nice outings, too.

We enjoy the Ashland Shakespeare Festival:
You do realize Crater Lake gets over 450 inches of snow a year! Central OR gets a real winter and a hot summer. The big, big plus is, however, that humidity is extremely low (it being high desert).

Old 05-31-2016, 04:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
WA state, southern or northern border.

Benefits of sales tax free Oregon, or recreation centric BC.

Columbia Gorge from East of Vancouver, WA to White Salmon, WA is pretty nice. As is area from far NW corner of WA, east to Mt Baker.

I live very cheap... $100/ month for food and entertainment, free heat ( my own firewood), no air conditioning needed in house or car, no water or sewer fees country home, $87 / month full electric home. Fuel is free (waste cooking oil), insurance is $300 / yr car, $600 / yr home. Property tax kills me, on my primary home cuz I fight the assessor and he fights back. I have 5 other investment homes that have fairly reasonable taxes <$2000/ yr, some lower than $1200.

I bought a 3 acre place with view, shop, 3 barns and small home for $85k. ( it needed work). Garden spot, flowers, orchard, grapes, berries, are awesome,
20 min to PDX airport, yet in a Nationally protected scenic area. (Very few neighbors, never any additional homes will be built). I know of 3 places sold last yr for under $130k 5+ acres with home. Usually a modular or fixer. 2 very nice 10 acre horse places sold for $280k each. (Stables, barns, shops, houses). You really need to dig, best to get the deals BEFORE the realtors find them. I exclusively use public GIS info, and drive around looking for potential bargains. You MUST keep engaged in the search. I have been looking for deals daily for 23 yrs. (bad habit). You can find a preferred area, then rent, or buy your less than perfect place in that area, and wait till the right one comes for sale.

Being 20 min to a wonderful international airport, and within 30 minutes of 20+ colleges, and infinite food and hobby / spare part supplies is very nice for a retirement locale. Many opportunities for volunteering, teaching, PT employment. Plenty of medical, including VA and a very competent medical school. (Nice if you have insurance.... I don't)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-31-2016 at 04:41 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 04:32 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
You do realize Crater Lake gets over 450 inches of snow a year! Central OR gets a real winter and a hot summer. The big, big plus is, however, that humidity is extremely low (it being high desert).
I mentioned Crater Lake as a place to visit from Southern Oregon, not to live.

I don't think Ashland (altitude 1,949) gets any significant amount of snow (Wikipedia says 1.4" per year), though Mount Ashland at 7,533 feet of altitude certainly does.

Ashland has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashland,_Oregon

Old 05-31-2016, 06:22 PM

519 posts, read 582,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I mentioned Crater Lake as a place to visit from Southern Oregon, not to live.

I don't think Ashland (altitude 1,949) gets any significant amount of snow (Wikipedia says 1.4" per year), though Mount Ashland at 7,533 feet of altitude certainly does.

Ashland has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashland,_Oregon
Lived in Bend OR for many years. It gets cold and it gets snow. Great, great place to live, but not a mild climate by any means.

Ashland being on the West side of the Cascades will be milder, but the pass on 5 outside of Ashland is always getting treacherous conditions in the winter. As I said in an earlier post, OR could fit the bill if you don't mind rain. If so, Willamette Valley (west of Cascades), and farther west to the coast, is a mild climate.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:39 PM

854 posts, read 1,703,680 times
Quote:
We have decided to rule out Oregon and Utah. We want mild weather. Near enough to a city for outings. Near good hiking. Near water. Probably in a place where there are many other retirees to connect with. Texas is not for us because the weather makes hiking difficult about 4 months out of the year and there's little natural beauty. SC is too humid. Nevada and AZ, we worry about lack/expense of water. We don't want CA because we think taxes are high as well as real estate in any areas close to good cities. Same applies to Seattle & Portland.

Anyone happy in the Tampa Bay area? Anyone liking the Philadelphia area for retirees?

Any other ideas? We will use all of 2017 to travel to different potential destinations so I am planning now.....
Why did you rule out Oregon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement