Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 06:08 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

thought about Ruidoso but it probably lacks lot of the amenities that OP would want
Very small town except July 4th weekend when all the Futurity people come to town
And IMO not that attractive --very monotonous scenery for most part
El Paso is closest airport and not an easy drive...

There is no one location that is going to be perfect
Dallas in winter is pretty cold...

And for hiking have you considered the altitude effect of higher elevations....
Are you acclimated to that where you are now?

I enjoyed looking at various locations at the link I posted...
Santa Barbara CA had almost a perfect bell curve / split of weather conditions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 06:18 PM

519 posts, read 582,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Santa Barbara CA had almost a perfect bell curve / split of weather conditions...
Santa Barbara CA (and places like it... La Jolla for example) suffer from one major drawback... and it is a WHOPPER.

Everyone agrees with you and so real estate is very, very expensive.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:38 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We have decided to rule out Oregon and Utah. We want mild weather. Near enough to a city for outings. Near good hiking. Near water. Probably in a place where there are many other retirees to connect with. Texas is not for us because the weather makes hiking difficult about 4 months out of the year and there's little natural beauty. SC is too humid. Nevada and AZ, we worry about lack/expense of water. We don't want CA because we think taxes are high as well as real estate in any areas close to good cities. Same applies to Seattle & Portland.

Anyone happy in the Tampa Bay area? Anyone liking the Philadelphia area for retirees?

Any other ideas? We will use all of 2017 to travel to different potential destinations so I am planning now.....
Is politics important?
For those with a right wing orientation, definitely check out the Villages. It is Republican heaven. Fox radio playing on the street. Buy there only if it's right for you. Not my cup of tea.

For the rest of us, check out Venice. You are less than 30 minutes from most parts of Sarasota

Old 06-01-2016, 06:53 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
We spent a week in Prescott and we also spent a week in Flagstaff. Decided Flagstaff too cold and found Prescott kind of boring but its still on the "B" list. We spent a few days in Las Cruces. Good hiking, boring town. Proximity to El Paso good for cheap trips back to DFW. We may revisit Las Cruces, since its been a few years -- its on our "B" list. I am a not seeking a Rebulican Haven; pretty liberal.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:54 PM

We are in Nokomis--easy access to Sarasota stuff for most part and Venice...
Lot of people like Englewood...close to Manasota Key...small historic downtown but Venice's is larger/nicer

Didn't know that about Villages...
I read what some people in my neighborhood post on NextDoor and think it is full of Rush Limbaugh's cousins...most of whom don't live on my street thankfully...

Old 06-01-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Santa Barbara CA (and places like it... La Jolla for example) suffer from one major drawback... and it is a WHOPPER.

Everyone agrees with you and so real estate is very, very expensive.
La Jolla is our favorite; we visit once a year. I used to have a condo there and wish i still had it.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:43 PM

We rented house in La Jolla on ocean for friend's wedding several yrs ago...it was in July...mthought would be hot but like SF I guess where July is cool
Lot of fog in morning and chilly...my husband and daughter had to buy fleeces...
I loved it...go inland a few miles and find plenty of heat/sun...
San Diego,has lot of micro-climbs...

Old 06-01-2016, 11:00 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
We rented house in La Jolla on ocean for friend's wedding several yrs ago...it was in July...mthought would be hot but like SF I guess where July is cool
Lot of fog in morning and chilly...my husband and daughter had to buy fleeces...
Well, yeah, Southern CA is just about perfect from the view/hiking/weather perspective of the OP....except he/she ruled out CA for the taxes and real estate costs.

OP, when you're in the Sarasota/St. Pete area, I'd recommend a visit to Anna Maria Island. Or maybe not....now that I'm here, I don't want any more traffic or visitors! I don't know what the criteria are for "good hiking" -- does it have to be hilly? Because hilly, Florida is not. However, the nature preserves are numerous and gorgeous.....I wish I had the physical ability to walk or kayak them all. One of my main criteria, like yours, is view, and I just love being surrounded by water in this area -- Gulf of Mexico, Tampa Bay, Sarasota Bay, Palma Sola Bay, Manatee River, etc. For what you're looking for, forget about The Villages -- it's in the middle of nowhere, not close to the Gulf or the Atlantic or any major city, and is definitely Rush Limbaugh World.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Well, yeah, Southern CA is just about perfect from the view/hiking/weather perspective of the OP....except he/she ruled out CA for the taxes and real estate costs.

OP, when you're in the Sarasota/St. Pete area, I'd recommend a visit to Anna Maria Island. Or maybe not....now that I'm here, I don't want any more traffic or visitors! I don't know what the criteria are for "good hiking" -- does it have to be hilly? Because hilly, Florida is not. However, the nature preserves are numerous and gorgeous.....I wish I had the physical ability to walk or kayak them all. One of my main criteria, like yours, is view, and I just love being surrounded by water in this area -- Gulf of Mexico, Tampa Bay, Sarasota Bay, Palma Sola Bay, Manatee River, etc. For what you're looking for, forget about The Villages -- it's in the middle of nowhere, not close to the Gulf or the Atlantic or any major city, and is definitely Rush Limbaugh World.
Doesn't have to be hilly! I will check this out. Thanks so very much!

Old 06-02-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I am trying to stay under $600K. Check out properties and you will find for that I will get a small, not very updated 2 bedroom condo with no view other than the neighbor's balcony..... Realistically, over the years, if I live there for 20 years the view will be more important than many things as we become more sendentary...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement