Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:26 AM

496 posts, read 552,743 times

Advertisements

I only know (for sure) one man who colored his hair from gray to brown. I think he did it for a part in a play. He has thick, wavy white hair, and one day he turned up with thick, wavy brown hair. He'd dyed his eyebrows, too. He looked at least 10 years younger. I don't believe in this "fools no one" stuff - who cares? He looked younger, even though I knew it was fake! I don't know him well enough to ask what reactions other people had, if any.

I guess it was temporary dye, because it gradually washed out over the next few weeks and then one day he was gray again. I don't know any men who get their hair colored professionally, which would last longer but also need touch-ups, like women get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 09:41 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
I started to color my hair in my fifties when the grey came in unevenly and have found I like it so have continued ever since. I try to avoid the solid color 'shoe polish) look. It is easy with the home products available and I do it for myself, not others.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:42 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Gawd, I started going gray when I was about 18, salt and pepper in my 30s and full-on Anderson Cooper white in my 40s, anybody that knows me would just burst out laughing if I walked in with brown hair, much less the snickers from strangers at the desperation of hiding the obvious. And the maintenance- forget it! I prefer the occasional, "love your hair color do you dye it?" "Why yes, kiddo, I do dye my hair white haha".

Old 06-01-2016, 09:53 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Gawd, I started going gray when I was about 18, salt and pepper in my 30s and full-on Anderson Cooper white in my 40s, anybody that knows me would just burst out laughing if I walked in with brown hair, much less the snickers from strangers at the desperation of hiding the obvious. And the maintenance- forget it! I prefer the occasional, "love your hair color do you dye it?" "Why yes, kiddo, I do dye my hair white haha".
Yeah...the maintenance is too much for a lot of woman....it would take real dedication for guys! But the key is to try to start when it wouldn't be such a shock. But I think you'd be surprised how quickly people forget...especially if the dye job is a good one and kept up.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:50 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
No coloring for me. I don't want to fight a losing battle. I also don't want to look like a Taiwanese or Chinese politician...

Old 06-01-2016, 10:55 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
If I still had enough hair to work with I might consider dying it dark purple and whipping it up into a tremendous mohawk or spike.

Alas, it's a desertification process up there ... so I keep it cropped short at a #1 or at most #2. Maybe I'll go for the Fully Monty at some point but the drag about that is having more surface area to shave.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:09 AM

492 posts, read 405,466 times
To get a good, natural look, dye your hard a shade lighter than your natural color. The greys and whites will pick it up, and look like soft highlights.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:23 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Harrison Ford finally came to his senses and realized the dyed look wasn't working even for him.
That said, everyone who dyes his/her hair in an attempt to look younger should do so for his/herself only. No one else is fooled or even cares. IMO there's nothing wrong with that, most of the 'grooming' things we do are for ourselves only. But seeking validation from others will never work.

But then I've had a 'thing' for silver-haired and bald men ever since I can recall, at least back to my 30s, so I'm probably biased!

Old 06-01-2016, 11:33 AM

496 posts, read 552,743 times
Better yet, paint it with glow-in-the-dark paint, and you won't even have to turn on the lights in the bedroom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
To get a good, natural look, dye your hard a shade lighter than your natural color. The greys and whites will pick it up, and look like soft highlights.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:09 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In my day View Post
I Just because we are retired or semi retired (me)
Interesting, I thought you had been Retired Now for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement