U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:48 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
That's lovely, but you must take off those rose-colored glasses when it comes to your fellow citizens' situations.

Even if YOU did well, not everyone will, for many reasons. And, that's life. Don't put down others who may not have as much. I'm a single person, and have never had anyone else to share the costs, so it can be a bit harder. As they say, 2 can live as cheaply as one. And, there are those who are single parents with children, who are hardly making it.

Do not tell others that "everyone can do it" because that is just not true. I'm glad you're happy, but don't hold things against other people if they don't have as much and tell them it's all their fault.

There are many things we can't control, and the rest, we try our best!
Hold the phone. You're complaining on the board that it's impossible to retire, and I'm telling you that it is quite possible along with tangible ways to do it. Yes, we're a two-income household, but we made fundamental lifestyle choices that put us in a much better situation. You probably have many of the same options open to you. That's not putting you down. That's offering a different perspective on things, from a person who extricated himself from dire financial straits. In other words, I've walked the walk, thanks.

And as far as the rose-colored glasses crack is concerned, I can tell you that we've faced more than our fair share of adversity. Please don't assume that you're the only person on the planet who has had difficulty. We just took stock of our lives and changed the way we lived in order to stop living hand-to-mouth. Maybe if you'd do the same, rather than wallowing in self pity, you'd be writing a different kind of post in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 11:13 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,025,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hold the phone. You're complaining on the board that it's impossible to retire, and I'm telling you that it is quite possible along with tangible ways to do it. Yes, we're a two-income household, but we made fundamental lifestyle choices that put us in a much better situation. You probably have many of the same options open to you. That's not putting you down. That's offering a different perspective on things, from a person who extricated himself from dire financial straits. In other words, I've walked the walk, thanks.

And as far as the rose-colored glasses crack is concerned, I can tell you that we've faced more than our fair share of adversity. Please don't assume that you're the only person on the planet who has had difficulty. We just took stock of our lives and changed the way we lived in order to stop living hand-to-mouth. Maybe if you'd do the same, rather than wallowing in self pity, you'd be writing a different kind of post in a few years.
I certainly NEVER said I was the only one - I said there were lots of us. If I've misunderstood what you've said, I'm sorry.

And, I don't feel self-pitying - I'm just discussing facts and situations that people have. That's just life. And, that's OK - some do well, some don't, for whatever reason.

I just feel that some on here (not only you) seem to be saying that EVERYONE can do it - that is just not true, IMHO. And, I don't mean necessarily me - I mean lots of people out here in the world. And, there are as many reasons as there are people who have a hard time financially. And, it's often not just their fault. It seems that some of you think it is all their fault, yes?

Or, maybe I've totally misunderstood, so I'm sorry. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 19,230 times
You should retire when you feel like crying after entering the building in which you work!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:45 AM

150 posts, read 667,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollfolkWdTNRQ View Post
You should retire when you feel like crying after entering the building in which you work!
Oh boy, I hear ya!!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:30 PM

30,697 posts, read 49,495,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm sorry. But eight years ago, my wife and I were practically broke. Today we have a net worth over $800,0000. ....
Some would insist that no matter what you did, or didn't do. It was entirely 'luck'.

Your work, your saving, your investing, had no result.

It is all just dumb luck.

One guy can spend twice what he earns, and another guy can live on a tenth of what he earns; but the real reason that anyone gets ahead is the same reason that one might win the lottery.

What a joke.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:38 PM

30,697 posts, read 49,495,894 times
Quote:
I tried to be positive and to help folks as long as I could in my career.

But when the primary purpose of your job is to kill others, after a while it got very difficult for me to hold a positive attitude about it.

My last duty station was killing Christians in the defense of Muslims [Kosovo a purely religious war with no political objectives, strictly two religions fighting each other].

And then I was forced into retirement due to my old age. I was forced out due to High-Year-Tenure. I was not allowed to continue working not one day beyond my pension date.

Do I look back and say how sorry I am that I have not killed as many Christians as I could have? Had I stayed working longer? Had they allowed me to continue working for another year, how many more Christians could I have killed?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:47 AM

156 posts, read 352,305 times
Quote:
lol that's funny....That's why I never look in the mirror when I get to work...I hate to see a grown man with tears in his eyes lol..

Old 02-21-2008, 11:17 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,244,921 times
Quote:
I should have quit last year, then. Seriously, WORK is a four-letter word for a reason. I know its cliche, but you've got to pay the bills - not everyone can find the job of their dreams - stress free where you look forward to get up everyday and can't wait to get to work.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 AM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 24 days ago)

2,420 posts, read 4,319,868 times
Default Never retire

Retire for most means "stop working". Personally that's the last nail in the coffin for many. I would suggest retirement is a change, not stopping.

I will be leaving my chosen career but I will never stop working... 'cause if I did... I'd be dead the next day..... well .... maybe in a couple of days.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:47 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,025,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Retire for most means "stop working". Personally that's the last nail in the coffin for many. I would suggest retirement is a change, not stopping.

I will be leaving my chosen career but I will never stop working... 'cause if I did... I'd be dead the next day..... well .... maybe in a couple of days.
You're right, Dave - I would never want to fully stop working, and I probably can't anyhow.

This morning in USA Today on the front page, there's an article about keeping us Baby Boomers in the workforce because they will need us. My state, Massachusetts, already has a program, and many other states are coming up with them.

At least that's heartening to me, since I'll have to work. Maybe I WILL be hired when I'm 80!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement