Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 10:25 AM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

yes , for a couple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 03:32 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Food for thought about the impact of waiting until 70 for SS and using investments in the interim. What are you going to be doing with that increased SS benefit and did you really spend all of the money you drew down? Will any of the age 70 benefit be used for investing? If so that minimizes the long term consequence of using investment money. Of course the higher the benefit the dynamics change.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:03 PM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
in my case , none gets invested , all of that age 70 ss will be needed to live on so we can reduce our withdrawals from investments .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-08-2016 at 04:59 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 04:56 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
I worry that my numbers aren't right because they are so different from current spending, but right now there are 2 tuitions, max retirement funding, health insurance and out of pocket medical for a full family , extra cars and insurance for young drivers, large mortgage payment, etc. But the numbers I have say that some may actually get put in savings. Not a lot but some. We'll see...

Old 06-08-2016, 06:27 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I worry that my numbers aren't right because they are so different from current spending, but right now there are 2 tuitions, max retirement funding, health insurance and out of pocket medical for a full family , extra cars and insurance for young drivers, large mortgage payment, etc. But the numbers I have say that some may actually get put in savings. Not a lot but some. We'll see...
With Time my friend you are in the being crunched stage.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:36 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old duffer View Post
While my city data handle is OLD DUFFER, I guess I am not that old.

I am a retired person, age 62. I stopped working this year but have decided to not start collecting Social Security until I turn 70.

Once I turn 70 I will be collecting $2400 a month in benefits. If I collect benefits at age 62 my monthly benefit will be about $1500 a month.

But to wait until I am 70 to collect I have to take an average withdrawal of about 7% a year from my retirement nest egg. That is a very high percentage but it temporary for eight years. Once I start collecting Social Security at age 70, my withdrawals will go down to 3%.

So if you retired and are waiting to collect Social Security until you are 70 years old are you taking out a large percent of your retirement nest egg until you reach that age?
Are you married?

In my humble opinion if you are the answer is you want to delay collecting even if it means going through all your savings if she will rely on your social security as a survivor.

Good stock market, bad stock market it does not matter if you have social security that is protected against inflation.

And then there is that question what if you live to 94 like my Aunt did?

I am 68 and while I count the days if I can put off collecting for just two more years I will collect in excess of $3,000 while my wife currently receives half my FRA benefit because I just squeezed in by 6 days last February. As far as my wife and I are concerned, given our spending habits, with the amount of benefits we will receive we won't need no stinking savings. I really like that feeling.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
With Time my friend you are in the being crunched stage.
No kidding; I can identify line items on my current budget that are going away completely in the next few years that add up to over half my monthly budget. Even though I can see that in black and white, it still worries me that it just can't be right when I work on a retirement budget. I have to remind myself how lucky I am; most of America manages this part of life with that smaller budget or even less.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:51 PM

757 posts, read 838,116 times
I discussed this with a former and retired social security regional manager. He said take SS as soon as you can. What is your life expectancy? There is no estate associated with SS so if you die then all you put in is gone. I have had a number of friends who have either died from cancer, strokes and heart attacks before age 70. One or two died in car accidents. I realize that is anecdotally but my point is there is more to ponder than cold hard numbers. I took the money early as I could and have not regretted it. It would have taken years for me to break even and frankly, I do not anticipate living all that far beyond 70 which I am now.

Each person has their own numbers and their own stomach for risk. Best of luck.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
I discussed this with a former and retired social security regional manager. He said take SS as soon as you can. What is your life expectancy? There is no estate associated with SS so if you die then all you put in is gone. I have had a number of friends who have either died from cancer, strokes and heart attacks before age 70. One or two died in car accidents. I realize that is anecdotally but my point is there is more to ponder than cold hard numbers. I took the money early as I could and have not regretted it. It would have taken years for me to break even and frankly, I do not anticipate living all that far beyond 70 which I am now.

Each person has their own numbers and their own stomach for risk. Best of luck.
With all due respect George, I do not see how anyone ever comes out ahead betting on their own death coming earlier than most.

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 06-08-2016 at 08:34 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 08:09 PM

757 posts, read 838,116 times
Understand. However, everyone has an idea of their family health history plus their own health status. If you have parents with cardio issues, then you are more likely to develop same. I am simply suggesting to take everything into consideration when you lay down your "bet". My people do not typically live beyond mid 70s so my decision was based on how many years it would take to break even.

Best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement