Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 03:57 PM

1,155 posts, read 961,676 times

Advertisements

...will my eventual Social Security benefits be reduced based on my government pension benefit? Or do GPO and WEP apply only to people earning pensions at jobs that do not require them to contribute to Social Security?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 04:30 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Q1 = No
Q2 = Yes

Old 06-13-2016, 10:18 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Q1 = No
Q2 = Yes
I know that these answers are not necessarily true in all cases, because I have retired with a local government pension, for which I paid social security during all of my working career. I signed up for SS in April and found that I have to pay a substantial amount of taxes on my SS benefits, equivalent to 25% of my SS.

Social Security Benefits - How To Calculate Your "Combined" Income

Quote:
Determining whether or not you have to pay taxes on your Social Security benefits really comes down to two factors: 1) your tax filing status, and 2) the amount of your "combined" income. Generally speaking though, you will not have to pay any taxes on your Social Security benefits at all, if that is your only source of income.

The rule being individuals will not have to pay if your "combined" income is less than $25,000 filing as an individual, or $32,000 as a joint filer. If your "combined" income is over that threshold, continue reading below to calculate exactly your combined income, and to determine at what rate you will be taxed at on your SS benefits, as well as how to receive a copy of your SSA-1099 form.

Adjusted Gross Income + Nontaxable Interest + Half of your Social Security benefits = Combined Income

They are also withholding a $121.80 Medicare Insurance Premium from my SS payment every month.

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-13-2016 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-13-2016, 11:59 AM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Default The issue is OFFSETS - not taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I know that these answers are not necessarily true in all cases, because I have retired with a local government pension, for which I paid social security during all of my working career. I signed up for SS in April and found that I have to pay a substantial amount of taxes on my SS benefits, equivalent to 25% of my SS.

They are also withholding a $121.80 Medicare Insurance Premium from my SS payment every month.
Reed's answers are correct in all cases.

OP's original question is:
Quote:
If I earn a pension based on work for which I paid Social Security taxes......will my eventual Social Security benefits be reduced based on my government pension benefit? Or do GPO and WEP apply only to people earning pensions at jobs that do not require them to contribute to Social Security?
OP is asking about the OFFSETS - GPO and WEP - to her SS benefit impacting people who have worked and/or receive benefits under SS AND also receive pension benefits from employment which paid into SS. Taxes have nothing to do with either offset or her question.

We've already got many threads on this issue, and one current discussion here

SS question: Can I collect SS from my wife's spousal benefit ?

- which presumably is why this thread was started. OP's issue was clearly addressed on that thread and would have been better placed there.

Fyi - we have tons of threads on taxation of social security and the tax torpedo - and how combined income - which threshold is very low - can trigger the tax. Again, not the subject of this thread.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-13-2016 at 12:25 PM..

Old 06-13-2016, 12:59 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Reed's answers are correct in all cases.

OP's original question is:OP is asking about the OFFSETS - GPO and WEP - to her SS benefit impacting people who have worked and/or receive benefits under SS AND also receive pension benefits from employment which paid into SS. Taxes have nothing to do with either offset or her question.

We've already got many threads on this issue, and one current discussion here

SS question: Can I collect SS from my wife's spousal benefit ?

- which presumably is why this thread was started. OP's issue was clearly addressed on that thread and would have been better placed there.

Fyi - we have tons of threads on taxation of social security and the tax torpedo - and how combined income - which threshold is very low - can trigger the tax. Again, not the subject of this thread.
Thank you for explaining that, I appreciate it. I was unclear on what the GPO and WEP was referring to.

However it appears to me that the answer to the first question is still Yes in many cases.

Quote:
Question 1: If I earn a pension based on work for which I paid Social Security taxes......will my eventual Social Security benefits be reduced based on my government pension benefit?
Answer: Yes, if your "combined" income is exceeds the threshold of $25,000 (single) or $35,000 (couple).

Old 06-13-2016, 02:29 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Thank you for explaining that, I appreciate it. I was unclear on what the GPO and WEP was referring to.

However it appears to me that the answer to the first question is still Yes in many cases.

Answer: Yes, if your "combined" income is exceeds the threshold of $25,000 (single) or $35,000 (couple)

Again, apples and oranges, given what the OP asked about.
Taxation by the IRS has nothing to do with reduction or offset of benefits by SSA due to GPO or WEP.

Possibly except there would be less to be taxed if benefits were reduced by WEP or GPO.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:28 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:

Answer: Yes, if your "combined" income is exceeds the threshold of $25,000 (single) or $35,000 (couple).
To segregate her first Q from the whole is to take the Q out of context. The question was never about OP's net SS benefit after taxes. It was about GPO/WEP offset to her SS benefits because of her govt pension.

Under GPO/WEP, SS beneficiary will actually receive a smaller SS benefit. This reduction is taken by the SSA before it pays the benefit. Whereas, income tax paid to the IRS on SS benefits after the benefit has been received is NOT a direct reduction of the SS benefit itself.

Further, there are many ways to reduce overall tax liability in retirement and perhaps reduce $$ of SS exposed to taxes - whereas there is no way to use tax sheltering techniques to reduce or circumvent the GPO/WEP offset.

In this case, the GPO/WEP offset does not affect OP at all, because her govt employer participates in SS.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-13-2016 at 04:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement