Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:38 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Since you've received suggestions that are even warmer, I'll throw out Oak Ridge TN. Very affordable, Highly educated, art center with classes, adult education. Politics are all over the spectrum.
Any colleges near Oak Ridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 07:10 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Since you've received suggestions that are even warmer, I'll throw out Oak Ridge TN. Very affordable, Highly educated, art center with classes, adult education. Politics are all over the spectrum.
No denying that part of the country is beautiful, very appealing and probably named Top 10 Destination on the Rise with good reason!

Visit Knoxville, TN

But Oak Ridge is 62% Republican.

Knoxville, too. No Democrat has represented the district since 1855.

The county primary election turned out 65,000 Republicans and 26,000 Democrats.

Property Assessor 44,000 GOP win.

County commission number of voters turning out seemed to be dominated by GOP.

TN primary election had 855K GOP voters versus 371K Democrats. Now, Trump slayed that state which indicates at least it isn't super ideological like, say, a Cruz state - with demographics dependent on caucus voter party activists. Because Trump's base stretches the spectrum from Democrats to Evangelical GOPs.

Granted, you usually have a higher Democrat turnout in a general election versus primary.

But that county was hugely RED in 2012 with GOP beating DEM by DOUBLE!

I think Obama won only 4. But two of them were the state's LARGEST counties: 232K Shelby (Memphis) and 139K Davidson (Nashville). This is a classic lesson in politics how large Democrat populations are all in urban clusters. Clusters with high demand for "services". Services cost money. Even though I'll mention my GOP county provides plenty of services including free bus transit and we just built a $10 Million Intergenerational Recreational Center. (Even though I wasn't thrilled with that but it was a private/public partnership).

Tennessee Election Results 2012 - Map, County Results, Live Updates - POLITICO.com

The problem is, when Liberals make this one of their criteria, it doesn't exist.

If the OP were willing to compromise on THAT, their choices would be substantially greater.

IME, when Liberals say they want a Liberal area they mean they want a VISIBLY and VOCAL LIBERAL population. Possibly even "activist". A few years ago when Jacksonville FL put forward a bill to provide LGBT protections, some activists INSISTED on including "gender identification" provisions which became a sticking point. So the entire bill failed which IMO, was really uncalled for.

There are plenty of good places where the politics seem neutral or non-existent (mostly if it's a Republican county). I live in one. Maybe even Knoxville! But if a person wants a loudly LIBERAL place, it's never going to be "highly affordable".

So, OP it seems your two choices in TN are Memphis and Nashville areas.

Now go check out the crime rates.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-16-2016 at 07:23 AM..

Old 06-16-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I've heard some great things about Fairport Iowa that would fit the description of what you're looking for.
You may have nailed it!

Now, there's not a single house for sale anywhere near there but first things first!

Why this Iowa town is thriving when so many aren't

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-16-2016 at 09:59 AM..

Old 06-16-2016, 09:39 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...not exactly liberal in its leanings...
What? Have you been to Missoula or spent any time in Montana?

Missoula has long been well known as THE (though it is not the only) liberal bastion of the state.

As for the rest of the state, while the politics do lean conservative, this is a "live and let live" kind of place in general, as I find most of the western U.S. to be. But, maybe since I am generally moderate, I'm always puzzled by the need to surround one's self with only those who think the same way.

As noted by another poster, your price range for housing might be a challenge in Missoula, but it's probably doable if you're flexible.

Often, though, when people say they enjoy fall and winter they aren't talking about what we experience here in Montana. Unless there are winter outdoor activities you enjoy or you truly don't mind being inside 6-8 months a year, a location with milder winters might be something to consider.

The air in Montana is dry all year. Your preference for dry air/ humidity might be another factor to consider, beyond just temperatures. A lot of the locations suggested have more moderate temps, and some have very high humidity.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
What? Have you been to Missoula or spent any time in Montana?

Missoula has long been well known as THE (though it is not the only) liberal bastion of the state.

As for the rest of the state, while the politics do lean conservative, this is a "live and let live" kind of place in general, as I find most of the western U.S. to be. But, maybe since I am generally moderate, I'm always puzzled by the need to surround one's self with only those who think the same way.

As noted by another poster, your price range for housing might be a challenge in Missoula, but it's probably doable if you're flexible.

Often, though, when people say they enjoy fall and winter they aren't talking about what we experience here in Montana. Unless there are winter outdoor activities you enjoy or you truly don't mind being inside 6-8 months a year, a location with milder winters might be something to consider.

The air in Montana is dry all year. Your preference for dry air/ humidity might be another factor to consider, beyond just temperatures. A lot of the locations suggested have more moderate temps, and some have very high humidity.
That's a good match!

Obama had a clear win in 2012. Governor is a Dem. In the county: Sanders beat Clinton in the primary. Trump slayed Cruz indicating there's not that huge hard line Cruz-esque contingent there.

There's a bunch of houses on Trulia in her price.

The university is close.

I see a bunch of artsy stuff online.

So like you say the vision of fall and winter is different but like you, I agree the humidity is a huge factor elsewhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP adds "walkability" to the wish list though. It's pretty common.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:24 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
I'm going to weigh in, in favor of Bloomington, Indiana. It really is affordable, somewhat near a major city (Indianapolis), liberal, with a very good university, mild climate, and beautiful scenery. Most of the other towns being discussed fall short in one or more of these variables.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:34 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsl6 View Post
I'm researching different areas of the country, looking for a retirement city/town that is liberal, artsy, well-educated, and highly affordable (condo or small house under 200K, preferable 160K or lower). It would be very nice to have low taxes! I'm liberal (not an anarchist but definitely not a Republican), well-educated, very creative and I enjoy interacting with like-minded people. I'm also a fall and winter person (I hate warm weather but it's inevitable). I've always had a university town in mind, but I worry that since I would not be a part of the university structure, I would be on the outside looking in, which would frustrate me. I looked at Flagstaff and Sedona (way, way overpriced); was not too fond of New Mexico (my apologies to residents); I have Bloomington, IN on the radar screen (but fear the objection above); Tucson would be too hot and too conservative. I would move to California in a second, but I can't afford it; I've investigated the Washington State coast but I don't know if I could handle all the rain (same with Portland); I would probably like Asheville, NC, but prices are through the roof; Austin, TX might work (never been there) except for the heat and high real estate prices.

Are there any smaller, artsy, affordable towns out there, close enough to a bigger city for medical care?
Unfortunately, liberal people usually support land use restrictions that make home prices and rents more expensive, which jacks up the local cost of living. Then they want higher minimum wages to make up for it, which jacks up the COL some more. It's time for people of the liberal persuasion to connect the dots. Even a few left leaning media outlets are admitting as much:

Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities - The Atlantic

Blue America has a problem: Even after adjusting for income, left-leaning metros tend to have worse income inequality and less affordable housing.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 06-16-2016 at 03:58 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I've always heard Tucson is more liberal than other areas in Arizona. Not like Phoenix and they pride themselves for not being from what I hear. I think there are affordable cities close to Asheville you might try.
Yes, actually Tucson is pretty liberal...definitely more liberal than Phoenix...and I say that as someone who doesn't usually agree with liberals, especially on economic policies.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The OP's desires would have once been called, ''champagne taste on a beer budget.'' My mother (born 1903) used the term.
Alternatively referred to as "having your cake and eating it too". Problem is, it doesn't exist. Trade offs (aka "hard decisions") must be made.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I'm going to weigh in, in favor of Bloomington, Indiana. It really is affordable, somewhat near a major city (Indianapolis), liberal, with a very good university, mild climate, and beautiful scenery. Most of the other towns being discussed fall short in one or more of these variables.
Eh, call me a spoiled Californian, but I hardly think Bloomington counts as a "mild climate" although maybe the OP would be ok with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement