U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 AM

29,774 posts, read 34,860,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Everyone who pays into social security gets to collect something if they accumulate enough "quarters" and live to the qualifying age, and yes, you can still start collecting at 62, though at a significantly reduced rate.

I could give you a more detailed answer, but explanations of how the system works are everywhere on the internet, including the SSA site itself, so it is easy enough to learn the basics if you want.

Oh, and military retirees who also collect SS are called "double dippers".
Some would say double dippers others would call them double entitled (paid their dues) to. In fact I know a number of folks who went into the military with that as their retirement plan. 20 years military and 20 in another line of work. If government work they have two government pensions and if state or local gov't two pensions and SS. They are now comfortable and rewarded for their risk and wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 09:34 AM

433 posts, read 991,748 times
Jackslade, see item #6 on this web page. It sounds as if your wife's RR annuity will be reduced by any social security benefit to which she is entitled.

Railroad Retirement Spouse Benefits (http://www.rrb.gov/opa/qa/pub_0909.asp - broken link)

Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 AM

30,679 posts, read 49,437,227 times
As was explained to me when I retired from Active Duty; and is repeated each year at annual 'Retiree Assistance' meetings held at my nearest Navy base; when I become eligible for SSA payments my Navy retirement pay will be reduced.

Right now I get approximately $1490/month. Say my SSA payments are projected to be around $700/month. When I reach 65 and start my SSA payments I will then receive around $700/month from SSA, and I will then receive around $790/month from the Navy. [700 + 790 = 1490]

The total amount I get each month will remain the same.

My SSA policy is mine. I paid into it, even when it was available to me to simply revoke my SSA policy and stop paying into it. I elected to keep my SSA policy and to continue paying into it. So that pay-out will not be effected by my military pension.

However my Navy pension will be reduced by that exact amount.

So you can say that I will be receiving pension payments from two different sources. However do not think that my total monthly income will change, it should remain the same.

Which is why I object to anyone calling it 'Double Dipping'.

On the other hand, I do have friends who have military retiree pensions and whose disabilities are not bad, so they can seek a second career where they can strive to get a second pension. It is my understanding that those people are the ones who Clinton was focusing on for 'Double-Dipping'.

For example doing 25 years in the Army; and then 25 years doing Law Enforcement for the municipality of Oklahoma City. They would get one pension from the Army, and a second pension from the municipality of Oklahoma City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement