Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 06:51 AM

47 posts, read 210,449 times

Advertisements

I am 44 years old and retired from the military (as is my spouse) and while I was in the Social Security office applying for a replacement card, I asked employees about their thoughts whether SS will be available for our generation. Now I know they are not necessarily the guru's, nor can they predict the future, but they all indicated it will not be around for my generation.

I understand the original purpose of SS when it was instituted by Roosevelt. But doesn't it stink to think you pay all that in and get nothing? SS for me in my 60's would make all the difference in the world to supplement my families military retirement income. Just curious on peoples thoughts and are you including SS in their individual retirrement plans? Also is it true you can SS early at age 62?

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 08:13 AM

746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
Everyone who pays into social security gets to collect something if they accumulate enough "quarters" and live to the qualifying age, and yes, you can still start collecting at 62, though at a significantly reduced rate.

I could give you a more detailed answer, but explanations of how the system works are everywhere on the internet, including the SSA site itself, so it is easy enough to learn the basics if you want.

Oh, and military retirees who also collect SS are called "double dippers".

Old 02-16-2008, 08:59 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Yes you can collect at 62-benefits would be somewhat reduced but if you calculate the difference between 62, 65, 67-you'd probably be money ahead.

I don't believe that military retirees are dubbed "double dippers"-the only way that would be if a mil retiree was to take a Federal job and get a Federal pension.

Military lifers pay into SS just as normal people do.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:30 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Social Security will continue to operate for the foreseeable future. Budget pressures will probably force changes in the rules for both SS and Medicare but do not expect an end to the programs.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:29 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Social Security will continue to operate for the foreseeable future. Budget pressures will probably force changes in the rules for both SS and Medicare but do not expect an end to the programs.
I agree. It WILL be there. It may end up being trimmed a bit but it is NOT going away.

Ken

Old 02-17-2008, 06:44 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
'Double-dipping' is going from one 20-year pension, and working in another field where they also provide a second 20-year pension; then you can get two separate pensions form different sources before hitting SSA age.

Also keep in mind that you do not get a Federal pension added onto SSA. When you become eligible for SSA, you get that amount but your Federal pensions each drop by that same amount.

It was explained to me when I retired [they required that I attend a one-week course on how to retire], that my take home pay would remain the same. SSA would kick-in at some amount, and that my Navy paycheck would drop by that amount. In such a way that my Gross pay would remain consistent.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:48 AM

47 posts, read 210,449 times
that's odd.... it was explained to me that I would get my military retirement check and then I would get an additional SS check when I apply at the appropriate age. I'll do some research..... Anybody else have experience with this?

Jeff

Old 02-17-2008, 07:01 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
My husband is retired military. He receives his full military pension, a second pension from his job after retirement-which he had for 20+ yrs. and full social security.

From what I understand if you are retired military and then take another Fed position there would be adjustments.

Hope this helps-make double check with your military ombudsman.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:46 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
If we would just tax salaries over $90,000 (you don't pay SS over that amount of salary), we'd be in fine shape.

So, why don't we do it? I have to pay on 100% of my salary, why not them?

About a third of retirees live ONLY on social security. I doubt the Baby Boomers will EVER let it go. Of course, Bush, the lame duck, was trying to take everything away that FDR did to leave some kind of "legacy" - a legacy of what, I don't know.

People like him don't have to deal with social security - he's from money - he has NO idea what people are up against.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:00 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
If we would just tax salaries over $90,000 (you don't pay SS over that amount of salary), we'd be in fine shape.

So, why don't we do it? I have to pay on 100% of my salary, why not them?

About a third of retirees live ONLY on social security. I doubt the Baby Boomers will EVER let it go. Of course, Bush, the lame duck, was trying to take everything away that FDR did to leave some kind of "legacy" - a legacy of what, I don't know.

People like him don't have to deal with social security - he's from money - he has NO idea what people are up against.
That is incorrect. Once you earn over $90,000 in a year, only then you stop paying social security on all paychecks for the rest of that year. What's more, people in that income range only get out of social security what they put into it. Further, social security was set up under the notion that you would draw benefits based on what was put into it.

However, you can blame FDR and LBJ for creating a situation that is financially untenable. The worker/beneficiary ratio has narrowed dramatically over the past 60 years. Further, LBJ decided that it was perfectly okay to pillage the Social Security funds in order to pay for his Great Society program. While I'm not a Republican, why you're laying this at the feet of George Bush is beyond me. What you have on your hands is the world's largest Ponzi scheme, one that will fall apart in my lifetime. And, as voters, we are all responsible for the coming fallout.

What's more, this is a crisis that has formed in slow motion. Twenty-five YEARS ago, people were pointing to the looming demographic crisis, and nobody had the political courage to do anything about it then. It has been absolute public knowledge that Social Security would be insolvent by the time the Baby Boomers died, even if SS taxes were raised 50%. Every financial magazine, financial planner, bank, and personal finance guru has been screaming it from the housetops since the early 1980s. Why weren't you paying attention? When I was 22, I knew the Social Security wasn't going to be around.

Of course, there are plenty of bright spots, namely that household wealth has soared over the past 25 years, and 70% of all workers now have investment accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement