Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 08:31 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Spokane has both the heat and cold, as does most of eastern WA. If you don't like extreme heat or cold, western WA could be a good fit, but how do you feel about rain? Our reputation for a lot of rain is a bit overblown at 40-60"/year it's the same as much of Florida. The problem is that we don't get occasional heavy downpours, we get 8-9 moths with a slow, constant drizzle, and even when not raining, clouds and overcast. I happen to like that, and the green surroundings that come with it, but some find it depressing. In retirement you need to be in a place that you enjoy thoroughly. in the less urban areas you can expect the property taxes to be about 2,000 on a $200k house, the problem is in finding a single family house in a nice area that cheap. You have to get pretty far out from the greater Puget Sound area to find homes in that price range, and it may be a double-wide. Port Angeles, for example, will have older, small houses (2 BR 1 BA 900 SF on minimum size lot) in the $150-200k range. PA has a decent but small hospital, most shopping you need, but more in Sequim 20 minutes away. Sequim also has the events/fairs/farmer's markets you are looking for. Sequim itself might be a possibility, with more sun, but due to it's popularity with retirees from California and the Seattle area, prices are higher. The biggest thing there now is builders offering brand new homes for sale "on your lot." Some of those are under $200k but you still have to buy a lot and pay for all of the site development and utilities.
If one does not mind outright desert I'd think the Tri Cities area might be a sort of good compromise between extremes of weather, rainfall / winter sun shine and cost. Down there it does not seem as prone to extreme cold as Spokane (summer though ... watch out).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 05:49 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Chelan, WA was featured on Gordon Ramsey's "Hotel Hell" last night. What a beautiful place! Now I want to visit.
It's incredibly gorgeous. Wife and I did think seriously about buying a property there and building. The property had views of 4 lakes, orchards, vineyards, and mountains....stunningly gorgeous is all I can say It is a small, internet was slower than where we live so we reluctantly decided not to pursue it at this time.

Wife and I decided to buy in the Tri Cities. Definitely not as beautiful and it looks a bit corporate and sterile but you probably get the most for your money in the state, it's big enough to have more to do, about 3.5 hours to Seattle, low crime, the best climate imo in Washington state, with great bike trails and boating, and most importantly, our daughter is there.

I would also thoroughly consider and research Wenatchee for anyone thinking about Washington on a budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement