Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 02:43 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times

Advertisements

I am a healthy 66.

Well, I was doing just fine with relaxing, riding my bike, hiking, playing music, visiting with friends (not a lot of family stuff as we don't have a large family), going to the gym and some other activities for the first four months. Then I got this horrible cold at the beginning of month five. Hung on for four weeks. Lost my voice for three weeks had no energy and would have coughing fits so bad I pulled muscles in my chest. By the end of the cold, I was bored from doing "nothing". I had to cancel visits, playing music at church no energy to hike or bike. Then after I got well, I pulled a muscle in my back and "relaxed" for another five days.

So here I am wondering what to with myself. I even feel some very mild anxiety, which I've been told by retired friends and my pastor is normal until I get some direction. So direction it is! Time to find out where to volunteer and be involved with peopleand the community!

Starting to get some leads and ideas:

Docent at a historical park nearby. I love history.

Signed up for a senior leadership training program, which introduces one to agencies that get things done in the community.

Get more involved at church-events and outreach

Maybe join a service organization like Rotary (never thought I would do such a thing, but a friend did and he thought it was great)

Work at the Senior Center?
What I don't want to do is go back to work. Don't need to and don't want to go through this process again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 02:52 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Check out the local animal shelters. They always need people to walk the dogs and interact with the animals. And this would give you exercise too! Being around animals is good for almost everyone psychologically too!

Old 06-18-2016, 02:56 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
Fostering animals is an awesome opportunity.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:06 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,966 times
I volunteer in the ER at our local hospital. It has been very rewarding.

There are a lot of volunteer opportunities in hospitals beyond the gift shop. See what yours has to offer; you might find something that's a good fit for you.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:56 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Fostering animals is an awesome opportunity.
We have group called Cat Rescue in my area. It was on the list I was given of volunteer opportunities in our community. Their blurb spoke of fostering litters of kittens and then finding homes for them. I joked; Hey Honey how about this? She jokingly mentioned divorce. Neither of us like cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
I volunteer in the ER at our local hospital. It has been very rewarding.

There are a lot of volunteer opportunities in hospitals beyond the gift shop. See what yours has to offer; you might find something that's a good fit for you.
Good idea.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:55 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Finding the right volunteer job/activity may well be just the ticket, but don't neglect going to the gym/riding your bike. (You wrote that you did the latter during the first four months of retirement, before you got the nasty, stubborn, severe cold.) At our age a few years off can be a real disaster, whereas at age 40 one can bounce back.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:46 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Do you like to learn? Some colleges let seniors sit in free of charge.

How about traveling?

Old 06-19-2016, 07:45 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
My retired neighbor is a volunteer chaplain at the local hospital and finds it very rewarding.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:53 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
I tried the volunteering thing but quit because some of those volunteer leaders are nuts.

Try something that you can extricate yourself from easily. No commitment until you are sure it is something you will enjoy no matter what happens.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:47 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I'm having a hard time understanding the anxiety caused from not having any direction?

I'm just the opposite. Having direction and feeling like a robot every day I had to go to work caused way more anxiety then I'll ever feel when I have a boring day. I just remind myself how often I felt the need for one of those boring days when I was stressed to the max at work.

I don't want any structure in my life and the only commitment I can tolerate is roller skating on Friday mornings.

I can't imagine working at my job at 66, and at 58 I was just done feeling like a robot on auto pilot.

I hope you find a way to enjoy the freedom of being able to go where ever the wind blows. Having the imagination to do that is enough of a challenge for me for now.

Some day I'm going to take an upholstery class, when I can bring myself to allow that commitment into my life. For now it's all about spending time with friends and having fun. Nope, don't feel like cleaning house today. Let's go ice skating instead. I miss that sea bass at PaPa Spiro's down the street from the rink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement