Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 04:50 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't miss my job at all, although I always enjoyed what I did for a living. But after over 40 years, I was happy to be done. At least for now, lol. The people I do miss though.

You guys are missing your colleagues, I don't. Most of my friends retired before I did and the new generation of teachers were, let's say they were insufferable to be around.

I do miss some people I worked with 40 years ago and a couple guys I was in flight school with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 05:08 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Miss what job? I don't remember a job.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:52 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
I missed the paycheck, not the job.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:34 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,036 times
I hated my last job before I retired and that's why I went early at age 63. I never for a minute missed it, only rejoiced in not having to step foot in that place again.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:41 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
I can't answer the OP's question because I've only been retired for 2 1/2 years & my worst day in that time has been better than my best day at the cubicle farm.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:36 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
My mother retired just last month. I asked her to tell me candidly if she missed anything at all about working and she said "no, not a thing." She said that she had never felt so free in her life and it was like being on a summer vacation that will never end. She literally threw away the alarm clock next to her bed.

Seriously, you must have a pathetically boring life if you would miss working.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:33 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,079,845 times
Really? I guess if you had pathetically boring jobs that would be true. How sad that so many here equate misery with their careers of the last 30 or 40 years! Talk about your messed up objectives. I guess I Never realized how lucky I am! My life, even besides my career, is not boring in the least, for me.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:41 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
As others mentioned, I miss the smart people I was privileged to know and work with for decades. Highly educated, extremely smart, diverse, demanding, interesting thinkers. I benefitted from the experience. Really miss that. The day-to-day grind, of course not. Now I sleep til noon and do what I please when I please. It's been almost seven years now. Took me four years, at least, to get out of the mental "work" mode. Dreamt about the place for years. Not recently, however.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:50 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
When I retire (unfortunately 20-30 years away), what I'll miss least about working is all of the forced interaction with people I don't really like or care about, the fake small talk and pleasantries, and social expectations of the workplace.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:51 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
My mother retired just last month. I asked her to tell me candidly if she missed anything at all about working and she said "no, not a thing." She said that she had never felt so free in her life and it was like being on a summer vacation that will never end. She literally threw away the alarm clock next to her bed.

Seriously, you must have a pathetically boring life if you would miss working.
O.K., it is a sad and regrettable reality that many people hate their jobs. That has been attested to by many posters in this thread, as if any more proof were needed. It is a logical conclusion that people who hated their jobs will not "miss" those jobs when they stop doing them. No argument possible there.

But what I don't get is why it is necessary to be obnoxiously insulting toward other people who derive(d) satisfaction, fulfillment, gratification, and pleasure from their jobs. Why is it so hard to grasp the idea that just because you have had a particular personal experience doesn't mean that other people could have had a different personal experience? Why universalize your particular personal experience? I like classical music, but I am under no illusion that my enjoyment of it is universal, and I have no desire to be obnoxious and insulting toward those who do not enjoy classical music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement