Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 03:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
This is kind of how I feel. I saw a few of my older relatives move into such environments and I then saw them move back OUT. But I don't feel completely like that. If our senior center offered something I was interested in, I'd go. Especially if they offered it during the day and not at 9am--I'm RETIRED. I do not want to go anywhere for 9am.

Not interested in Bingo (did that when I was 6 years old), or knitting (tried it, can't do it), or line dancing.

However, I went to a water exercise class at the Y and truly enjoyed it. Yes, it was in the warm water, therapy pool, and yes, many of the people were in their 80s and 90s. They were an inspiration to me.

I got bored after a few years but that's bad on me. I admire those people who have been going for many years. I'd like to take some drawing lessons but around here they're really expensive. I don't care what age the participants would be, some of the older ones could definitely teach me a thing or two.
Those were the things that turned me off at my former senior center. But I have to say others who participated seemed to be having a great time.

One thing they offered was drawing lessons at no charge and some of the people did very well. They had an art show with their works at the end of the term. For me though, it held no interest.

I'm with you on the nine o'clock thing too. The former SC took trips to see the Cleveland orchestra and I truly wanted to go. But it meant getting up at seven am to get to the SC on time to take the van to orchestra hall for a nine o'clock meet and greet, lecture and then by eleven the performance. I went once but almost fell asleep during the concert. I am not and never or ever will be a morning person. I always had trouble getting up for work. I don't want to do it for fun.

My new SC's activities don't start until around ten or eleven. I can handle that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 03:31 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
seeriously at post #33,

you do realize that many older people would love to ride a bicycle, hike, and do other physical enjoyable things, but they are unable to do so due to physical limitations, severe arthritis, lack of enough strength, degrees of frailty, bad pain in the knees or legs or feet, circulation problems, etc., don't you?

I do not see knowledge of this or recognition of this in your post, nor in the posts of others who agree with you.

Many, if not most older people, would not choose to not do physical enjoyable things. They would, indeed, love to. Even just walking can be difficult if one has any of the factors I list above.
My post was to say that I agree with the original poster who found a particular activity to be depressing and that's all it was. I'm not trying to solve the frailties or economics of aging and I wasn't addressing them so no lecture, thank you.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Those were the things that turned me off at my former senior center. But I have to say others who participated seemed to be having a great time.

One thing they offered was drawing lessons at no charge and some of the people did very well. They had an art show with their works at the end of the term. For me though, it held no interest.

Lad to see that you have relocated successfully. Lakewood is a great town.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:58 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I think that a lot of it has to do, as mentioned, with the ages involved. Since I retired a couple people have told me I need to go to the local Senior Center since I'm bored (which I'm not, I have no clue where they got that idea). Here's the problem, I'm 62 (or will be on Saturday) and regularly get mistaken for 50 or even 45, it happened the other day by someone who should know better since she knows my kids and their ages and the oldest one turns 33 this year. It may be because I'm still active and don't move like I'm all stoved up.

I also spent all day Saturday on dragon boats (think a 60 foot or so canoe with a flat bottom drawing about 8 inches of water) on the Chesapeake, so what most people see of me is hopping and popping around doing things like that or physical labor.

Also, most of the Senior Center habitués are late 70s into early 90s so low impact activities (think Pinochle) are the activity du jour.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
seeriously at #33 and #62, but that was not the content of your #33 post. You seemed to be blaming older people who have diseases or who become some degree of frail or have some loss of strength for not being able to take hikes, bicycle, kayak, and the whole array of the more physical activities.

Your tone & content at #33 was exactly that - condescension to those who cannot participate in sports, and no recognition of or knowledge of the array of physical limitations which can beset older people - as if they too would not love to participate in sports and more rigorous sports.

Diseases and limitations may beset even you in the future, although you'll probably say how healthy and vigorous you are, which is great. But even the most healthy & vigorous sometimes get diseases or problems of growing older.

Last edited by matisse12; 06-21-2016 at 05:14 PM..

Old 06-21-2016, 06:56 PM

274 posts, read 252,577 times
My 90 year old mother in law swims and gardens. She won't go to any senior center events because she "doesn't like to be around old people". She'll take any senior discount that's offered, though, and why not?

Old 06-21-2016, 09:30 PM

474 posts, read 318,052 times
Over 55 communities aren't prisons or nursing homes, you're free to live your life the same way you lived it before moving in. Come and go as you please, associate with the people you want to, avoid eye contact with those you don't. Just like living in any neighborhood. They offer activities for people who WANT to join in, they don't drag people to card games or potluck dinners. No one is going to force you to go to a concert, take a trip or swim in the pool.

I'm looking forward to moving into one of these communities (pretty soon) and look forward to starting a whole new chapter in my life. I've downsized and have started making final plans for the big move. All I have to do now is buy myself some bingo daubers and I'm good to go!!

Old 06-22-2016, 03:29 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
All I have to do now is buy myself some bingo daubers and I'm good to go!!
LOL!!! I have an 89 year old aunt who lives for bingo and goes minimally 4 nights a week and the other 3 nights she is playing poker with the boys

Old 06-22-2016, 04:59 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjimmy View Post
My 90 year old mother in law swims and gardens. She won't go to any senior center events because she "doesn't like to be around old people". She'll take any senior discount that's offered, though, and why not?
My 85 year old MIL babysits young great grandchildren, drives the older ones to band camp, picks others up from work or anything they ask of her if she can. She gardens and takes care of a house with 1.75 acres and several outbuildings. She has family gatherings and dinners and goes to birthday parties and sees old friends for half the year.

The other half she heads to her 55+ community in FL. She loves the sunshine and being outside. She hangs with the singles women group mostly and goes to plays, cruises, exercise class and swimming, concerts and shows in various areas and takes a roadtrip with a group of close friends to planned destinations.

She's living life to the fullest in both places and will as long as she is able. She has hit legendary status with the younger family members. The stories they will tell when she's gone and actually the ones they tell now are a tribute to her. She enjoys people of all ages and wouldn't limit herself by refusing to be with older people and activities. What an engaged and lovely person she is!

Old 06-22-2016, 06:18 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
seeriously at #33 and #62, but that was not the content of your #33 post. You seemed to be blaming older people who have diseases or who become some degree of frail or have some loss of strength for not being able to take hikes, bicycle, kayak, and the whole array of the more physical activities.

Your tone & content at #33 was exactly that - condescension to those who cannot participate in sports, and no recognition of or knowledge of the array of physical limitations which can beset older people - as if they too would not love to participate in sports and more rigorous sports.

Diseases and limitations may beset even you in the future, although you'll probably say how healthy and vigorous you are, which is great. But even the most healthy & vigorous sometimes get diseases or problems of growing older.
lolol! You really think I'm going back to check my tone in previous numbered posts to prove you right? Dear matisse, you are a primary example of what's wrong with living in an environment made up of only seniors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement