Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 04:10 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,534,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
My wife and I very rarely ever go anywhere at night. We don't need to, so we don't. I still have excellent night vision so that's not the reason. We live in the country and night driving means pitch black and no ambient light.

More and more we don't want to go any where. We have a nice oasis at home with plenty of privacy and room on our acreage to do what ever we want. There are times when we realize that it's been a week since we were off our property.

I have plenty to do at home, gardening, yard work, shop work, and for entertainment we have Dish network with all the channels and with pay for view movies, we watch the latest movies just a few months after they open at theaters. We have a main movie room with 70" HD TV and surround sound. In another room we have another 60" HD TV for news viewing and media access.

Except for food, we have almost all other supplies delivered by UPS. Our fuel expense before retiring was $500-$700 a month, now it's below $100.

We did considerable traveling up until about 5 years ago, and now traveling does not hold much interest to us.

Over all we are very happy with our current situation.
I am the opposite of this. I also live in the country and find night driving easy. No traffic and my headlights work well. It's only a 15 minute drive to town.

The last thing I want in life is social isolation. Sure, I like relaxing at home, but I also like to be engaged with people and have community involvement. Also, thru my former job, I learned that not engaging with friends helps with developing dementia. Being socially isolated can make personal loss much harder to face- so important to have support from friends.

I'd go nuts if my only source of entertainment was my TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 04:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,121,941 times
We tend to stay home in the evening. I am not sure what has driven this, but I have noticed it.

I like being out later when we have a longer day though. When night falls so early during the winter, I just want to be home where it is warm.

If you are having with seeing at night, then that is a very good reason for not driving after dark.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:13 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,640,610 times
When I was working I always missed home. I do go out now to go shopping or go camping or in the fall, to view the foliage and go to a farm for cider and donuts.

Now I stay home a lot, gardening, reading, on the computer, playing with the dog, cooking, just being home and relaxing. When I was working I was always on the go and Saturdays were the worst day of the week. Saturday was the day I had to get EVERYTHING done. Sunday consisted of getting ready for Monday --I was a teacher and had to prepare, also getting clothes ready for the week.

So now I have the time and opportunity at last. Just staying home is so pleasant!

Old 06-25-2016, 08:19 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I'd go to a lot more local events if they didn't start so late. Some of the music shows start at 7 or 8 pm, which is fine, even 9pm is okay, but the ones that don't start until 11 or so? That is just too late. I get up between 6-7 in the morning and getting home at 2-3 from a show leaves me groggy the next day.

Also aimless road trips are less appealing than they were when I was younger, I am sick of the car and tired of driving at this point. A road trip with a destination (camping, the beach, the mountains, off to see family) is fine, but a "lets just drive" ... nah.
Understood... but when you're retired you can sleep in the morning of and the morning after....take a nap in the afternoon....then stay up as late as you want! That all sounds really fun and decadent to me!

Old 06-25-2016, 08:55 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,744,354 times
To whomever left me a rep point and asked about Tramadol...yes, it relieves my pain without making me nauseated or sleepy. It may work differently for you, of course.

It is an opioid, though, and you will develop tolerance and/or dependency if you take it every day. I don't, so I haven't.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:10 PM

8,323 posts, read 6,412,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I am the opposite of this. I also live in the country and find night driving easy. No traffic and my headlights work well. It's only a 15 minute drive to town.

The last thing I want in life is social isolation. Sure, I like relaxing at home, but I also like to be engaged with people and have community involvement. Also, thru my former job, I learned that not engaging with friends helps with developing dementia. Being socially isolated can make personal loss much harder to face- so important to have support from friends.

I'd go nuts if my only source of entertainment was my TV
I'm in a high population area and go to a big church. I am single and live alone, I go to a church event every day except Thursday and often go shooting with my friend then.
Because of this I have a lot of friends, they make me feel good, and I am happy because of this.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:23 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,587,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am afraid of becoming a home body so I try to be active and make plans so we do go out, and often I go out by myself. It is easy for me to be a home body so I have a need to actively resist it.
does anyone else feel that way? what do you do?
Yep. I peg the meter for being an introvert. But even introverts need some human interaction to avoid becoming 'eccentric' (or worse).

I walk a 1.8-mile round trip every morning to get my Starbucks. And I volunteer shelving books at the library, twice a week, 2 hours at a time.

And I fight the urge, when DH wants to go out on some errand, to stay home. It gets me moving and gets me out into the "room with the big blue ceiling".

But I decided as soon as I retired that I wasn't going to try to drive after dark. It's just that much more difficult, and driving has never been really easy for me at all.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:47 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,079,611 times
I am still working full time 8-4:30, M-F in a in a very busy high level people interactive environment. Evenings and weekends unless there are errands to run or family functions to attend you will find me at home recharging my batteries more often than not sitting in my Lazy Girl recliner

Old 06-26-2016, 03:55 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,911,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Tonite, around 3am, I headed over to Chinatown for a late dinner... And, yes, I do have night vision, have had it for 10 years now!
I'm not a homebody. I make sure I get out of the house every day, even if I don't need to and even in bad weather.

3 a.m. is quite a late dinner. Where I live, it is almost impossible to get dinner after 10 p.m.

What do you mean when you say you've had night vision for 10 years? I've been able to see at night since the day I was born.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:29 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,745,338 times
My home is my castle that's why I'm a homebody. But seriously, even living in London where I just hop on the bus to go anywhere, I would still be home early. Only twice, we went out for a night concert and theatre during our stay here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement