U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 09:34 AM

17,423 posts, read 21,267,665 times

Advertisements

Tonite, around 3am, I headed over to Chinatown for a late dinner (still working a night shift a few days a week and sleeping all day) and I wasn't but a mile from my house, and there were 2 bicyclists, riding abreast, in the right travel lane, with no back lights! The 6 lane avenue, where I came upon them was quite darkened. I almost ran both of them over! And, yes, I do have night vision, have had it for 10 years now!

Another time, I pulled out onto a busy road, late night, and? A car came racing by with no headlights, I almost ran right out in front his path!

I only go out one night a week now for a late dinner, and after this scary episode, and the other one, there's one more factor to my staying safely at home!

I do, occasionally, late night, ride my bike over to a 24-hour Jack n The Box, 4 blocks away, and sometimes I'll even ride my bike to a local bar for a nightcap, but driving a car becomes more scary as I get older, daytime or nighttime, but then I've always been a Nervous Nellie behind the wheel of a car, and it's only getting worse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 10:14 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,695,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What Factors In To Your Becoming More Of A Homebody As You Get Older?
Nothing yet.
In fact, we are out and about more than before because we now have the time.

But we are more than likely back home by 11pm... we are tired!

Old 06-24-2016, 10:51 AM

1,815 posts, read 2,245,535 times
Originally Posted by tijlover What Factors In To Your Becoming More Of A Homebody As You Get Older?

The fact that I am tired of dealing with people and crowds and traffic. I get enough of it every day going to work. After work hours, I want to be in a "no people zone"

Old 06-24-2016, 11:01 AM

7,328 posts, read 4,174,565 times
I think that mobility issues are a factor for many people. I'm seeing that with my father, who has unfortunately developed spinal stenosis. He just can't walk too far anymore, and while he still goes out every day, he won't attend any events that might involve lots of walking or standing (and he's not interested in a mobility scooter).

Old 06-24-2016, 11:15 AM

306 posts, read 338,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Originally Posted by tijlover What Factors In To Your Becoming More Of A Homebody As You Get Older?

The fact that I am tired of dealing with people and crowds and traffic. I get enough of it every day going to work. After work hours, I want to be in a "no people zone"

^^^^this totally!

Old 06-24-2016, 11:45 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,303,645 times
My wife and I very rarely ever go anywhere at night. We don't need to, so we don't. I still have excellent night vision so that's not the reason. We live in the country and night driving means pitch black and no ambient light.

More and more we don't want to go any where. We have a nice oasis at home with plenty of privacy and room on our acreage to do what ever we want. There are times when we realize that it's been a week since we were off our property.

I have plenty to do at home, gardening, yard work, shop work, and for entertainment we have Dish network with all the channels and with pay for view movies, we watch the latest movies just a few months after they open at theaters. We have a main movie room with 70" HD TV and surround sound. In another room we have another 60" HD TV for news viewing and media access.

Except for food, we have almost all other supplies delivered by UPS. Our fuel expense before retiring was $500-$700 a month, now it's below $100.

We did considerable traveling up until about 5 years ago, and now traveling does not hold much interest to us.

Over all we are very happy with our current situation.

Last edited by Garthur; 06-24-2016 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 12:33 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,733,500 times
I am afraid of becoming a home body so I try to be active and make plans so we do go out, and often I go out by myself. It is easy for me to be a home body so I have a need to actively resist it.
does anyone else feel that way? what do you do?

Old 06-24-2016, 12:37 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,458,283 times
Garthur, I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with you staying on your country acreage for very long extended periods, months and months or longer, if you wish.

You have so many activities at home that are fun for you, why leave your country acreage to leave just to be leaving.

You say sometimes you realize you haven't left your country acreage for a week. A week is a very short amount of time. If you have nothing you wish to do off the premises, then there is nothing wrong with just enjoying your home, your home activities, and your land.

You also have a companion. It sounds idyllic and enjoyable.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:45 PM

1,926 posts, read 993,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am afraid of becoming a home body so I try to be active and make plans so we do go out, and often I go out by myself. It is easy for me to be a home body so I have a need to actively resist it.
does anyone else feel that way? what do you do?

I don't think of being a "home body" as something negative. When I worked, I was never home enough, or I was home getting ready to go to work.

I am happy at home. I am always asking myself "is this trip necessary?"

In our small city, I can go to the grocery at midnight without seeing a half dozen people out.

The people on bikes do worry me, day and night. The older streets don't have designated bike lanes and some riders swerve in and out of traffic.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:24 PM

6,130 posts, read 9,095,981 times
During summer here, I rarely go anywhere, cause of the heat. But I do miss getting out and doing stuff. The rest of the year there isn't a day when I am home all day long. The weather controls my goings and comings in AZ.

I, too have a bike. I have not ridden it for at least 3 years. Keep thinking maybe some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or