Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 05:05 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times

Advertisements

Which is why shot guns are best for home security. And why people like semi auto's with huge clips.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:12 AM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
read my posting about shotguns . they are of limited use and should only be used from one fixed position in a safe room . do not wander the house checking out noises or rounding up family members . if you need mobility only use a handgun . shotguns at close range have to be aimed pretty close to be on target as they spread no wider then a cigarette pack and can easily miss under stress .

they also present a problem trying to keep a bad guy at bay and dialing a cell phone or using a flashlight , as well as can result in permanent hearing loss for anyone around you ..

it is way to easy for anyone to grab that barrel and pop it out of your hand . leverage is not a friend .

it can be popped away from you in a second as this bad guy with a shotgun found out in a real life robbery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCP1AGC2pBk

even trained professionals will not wander a house by themselves with a shotgun or any long arm . it typically take a 9 man team to safely clear a house and protect those with long arms . your odds alone of doing it safely are pretty poor with that shotgun .

usually the 2nd defenseman gets a shotgun .

1 x Team Leader
1 x Pointman
1 x 1st Defenseman
1 x 2nd Defenseman
1 x Rear Security
Cover Element / 2nd Entry Element
2 x Marksmen
2 x Observers / Recorders

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-26-2016 at 05:39 AM..

Old 06-26-2016, 05:40 AM

interesting interview with massad ayoob , he is the top trainer for law enforcment and civilians with ccw permits and is the founder of lethal force institute the worlds premier training facility . .

he discusses the roll of a shotgun .

Rem870.com: What do you think about use of a shotgun for home defense?

Massad Ayoob: Excellent in the role of “artillery” once family has been gathered in one spot. If user has to move to gather up children, go to the front door, etc., I recommend handgun instead of shotgun.

Rem870.com: When to use?

Massad Ayoob: As noted above, the shotgun comes into its own in an ensconced home defense situation. When one hand has to be operating lights, coordinating a telephone, etc., I would recommend the handgun instead.

Massad Ayoob :
My own view is that if I can only have one firearm for home defense, I want it to be a handgun for reasons of versatility, but if possible I’d rather have one handgun and one long gun readily available to each person in the household who’s likely to be using deadly force to protect self and family.

I teach the handgun as “infantry,” the long gun as “artillery.” If I have to go mobile, I want a hand free to work communications, illumination, doorknobs, etc. If I have to scoop a little kid and carry same to a safer position, a handgun will be more workable. Same if I have to answer an insistent pounding at the door…which might just be a cop, who won’t take it well if I open the door holding a 12-gauge or a .223 rifle. But if the whole family is barricaded in the safe room and criminals are kicking down the door, it’s probably shooting time, and a .223 class autoloading rifle or a fast-firing shotgun gives way more power and hit potential on multiple targets in unforgiving circumstances.

For a very long time, the shotgun has been the traditional choice of long gun for defense inside the house. In recent years, though, .223 rifles such as the AR15 have become hugely popular for this function. In this week’s class, two thirds of the students are using shotguns, and one third, autoloading rifles. .

The shotguns and rifles should go along with handguns and not used as either or .

Old 06-26-2016, 06:48 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
All you need to do to know this is to follow the political scene through good sources of information - not Fox TV News and not right-wing talk radio, as examples.
You mean like MSNBC ? FWIW - I don't watch Fox (or CNN or MSNBC for that matter). I do keep CNBC turned on on the TV or car radio during market hours (when the market is closed - I tend to listen to "Radio Golf" in the car). I get most of my "news news" from newspapers - both physical papers (I get the WSJ and our local paper) and on-line links from various news aggregation websites. Like Google News and Drudge. And - before you dismiss Drudge - note that it has lots of the links to the New York Times and the Washington Post these days (enough links so I go through my free monthly allowance at those papers on a regular basis). Overall - my approach to the news is I want to find out what is going on - as opposed to hearing anyone tell me what I should think about what's going on.

Note that there are various politicians/"talking heads" who are seeking to ban guns other than "assault" guns:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...matic-weapons/

Robyn

Old 06-26-2016, 07:04 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Do not buy a gun from a gun store. You will be subjected to the ''background check'' which will then identify you as a gun owner. Buy it from a private party. That's perfectly legal in Florida. It's fine to look at guns at dealers, but do not buy one there. The government can only take it if they know that you have it. You don't need a co-owner.

There's a good website that puts folks together. Florida has a large population so it should work well. I've looked at it here, but everything I like seems to be three hundred or more miles away. There are both dealers and private parties listed. Gun shows are great places to both buy guns and meet some great people. Your first question to a seller should be, ''Are these private sale?'' The tables that have a hundred guns in boxes are dealer tables.

ARMSLIST - Florida All Categories Classifieds

I wouldn't buy a shotgun as a first gun. They're clumsy and can be difficult to maneuver in close quarters. Contrary to what several posters have implied, they do no not have the pattern of a garden hose. On average the shot pattern spreads at the rate of about one inch per yard. The last blunderbusses, cartridge guns made about 150 years ago, had rifled barrels to help spread the shot pattern. The Taurus Judge uses either .410 shotshells or .45 Colt. It's an excellent gun, but beware of recoil. It may or may not bother you. Mathjak's choice is excellent. I prefer the model with a shrouded hammer rather than a concealed hammer. My daily carry is a similar aluminum frame gun chambered in .38 special.

Product: Model 638

Most gun accidents involve males in the 16-24 age group. This same group also has the highest overall accident rate as well as the highest violent crime rate.

I've been a gun hobbyist for more than sixty years. I love learning about the history of the technology and individual company products. Shooting is great fun.

I recommend that you begin by taking an NRA course in your area. Dealers should know about them or call the NRA. Try to handle and to shoot as many different guns as you can. It's not hard to use a gun effectively.

https://home.nra.org/
Good point about buying. I'm reading a book now - The Mandibles (which I recommend - it was written by the fellow who wrote "We Need To Talk About Kevin") - and the government confiscates everyone's gold. Of course - the first thing it confiscates is things like shares in the GLD - which are easy to find. We have lots of local gun shows here - and we'll check out some out.

Also thanks for the information about various types of guns. My husband and I will have to start doing our homework. In terms of practice - our yard would be a great place to practice except that we're a "non-hunting community" (our HOA got that designation because a lot of hunters were shooting things like ducks in the marshes and bullets were winding up in peoples' back yards). Robyn

Old 06-26-2016, 07:06 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
You are contradicting yourself. If you go through a background check and a fingerprint check and pay for a permit, then you get to have the gun. So therefore it is not correct that only bad guys get to have guns in your state/city.
I was being a little facetious... which obviously didn't come across as intended.

I probably should have said "In NY the criminal element has an easier time of obtaining weapons because they purchase them off the streets from other seedy characters thereby avoiding background and fingerprint checks.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:07 AM

read any of massad ayoob's books or watch his video's . they are the best source of information you can find

Old 06-26-2016, 07:17 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times
WOW!! I can't believe some of the advice the OP is getting, from firearm selection, to the many scenarios of attack, to karate lessons to lasers and alarm systems. Can only imagine the OP's head is spinning. IMHO- it's really about the threat level of where you live or travel, the chances of an incident in the ghetto in Chicago are much greater than something life threatening happening in Mayberry. The gun isn't an ultimate guarantee of safety, it's just part of a plan for your security and sense of well being, burglaries and break ins are statistically crimes of opportunity, the harder you make it for the perpetrator the more likely they'll move on to an easier target. If you're out and about, don't look like a victim, pay attention to your surroundings and be aware. It's 90% common sense. As far as what your final scenario could be in the unfortunate chance you are faced with it, the type of weapon isn't likely going to matter, you'll fight for your life and the lives of your loved ones. I feel safer knowing I have a weapon if I need it and if it can be deployed in time to protect me, but if that decision arises it will be an action of absolutely last resort. In my 64 years I have never drawn my weapon on anybody, nor has any of my family been in a life threatening situation, I think the threat is less than the headlines might indicate.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:22 AM

everything we insure against pretty much have the lowest potential odds of happening . but since it has to happen to someone that is what we protect against .

a personal protection plan is like the proverbial three legged stool . alarm-dog-firearm

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-26-2016 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-26-2016, 07:37 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
WOW!! I can't believe some of the advice the OP is getting, from firearm selection, to the many scenarios of attack, to karate lessons to lasers and alarm systems. Can only imagine the OP's head is spinning. IMHO- it's really about the threat level of where you live or travel, the chances of an incident in the ghetto in Chicago are much greater than something life threatening happening in Mayberry. The gun isn't an ultimate guarantee of safety, it's just part of a plan for your security and sense of well being, burglaries and break ins are statistically crimes of opportunity, the harder you make it for the perpetrator the more likely they'll move on to an easier target. If you're out and about, don't look like a victim, pay attention to your surroundings and be aware. It's 90% common sense. As far as what your final scenario could be in the unfortunate chance you are faced with it, the type of weapon isn't likely going to matter, you'll fight for your life and the lives of your loved ones. I feel safer knowing I have a weapon if I need it and if it can be deployed in time to protect me, but if that decision arises it will be an action of absolutely last resort. In my 64 years I have never drawn my weapon on anybody, nor has any of my family been in a life threatening situation, I think the threat is less than the headlines might indicate.
you are right.

I read lots of posts in our town page about burglaries etc. But they leave things right out in the open - laptops and purses in cars. Lawn equipment right by the sidewalk. I remember our across the street neighbor left some tools on his driveway. It is on a curve, so you can just scoot over in your vehicle, open your door, and pick up whatever he leaves - and they did.

We keep our property lit up like a prison yard at night. Everyone else has theirs pitch black because they don't want to pay extra on their light bills. Things disappear. There are a lot of small time druggies around here that need cash for a quick fix.

I don't even answer my front door. I go around the back, stand behind my fence with my German shepherd next to my side and see who it is.

We live in a very small town, but still trust no one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement