Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:06 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,724 times

Advertisements

I think this is related to many threads we've had here about friends.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/06...-they-age.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 09:54 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
My life isn't like that. At least not yet. The older I get the more people I know. I am more socially active than anytime since my 20's.

It might be location.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:01 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
My life isn't like that. At least not yet. The older I get the more people I know. I am more socially active than anytime since my 20's.

It might be location.
Same here.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:19 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Having moved a couple years ago, we found that establishing new friendships at our age is more difficult. Many common social interests (job, career, kids, dating) no longer exist and "interviewing" new friends, like speed-dating (?), takes a lot of time and effort to find good ones.

Most retirees have long-established 'old friends' and are not actively pursuing efforts to make new ones. (At some point, people get pretty comfortable with themselves and less concerned with validation, advice or social interaction with others).

Last edited by jghorton; 06-27-2016 at 10:31 AM..

Old 06-27-2016, 01:18 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Having moved a couple years ago, we found that establishing new friendships at our age is more difficult. Many common social interests (job, career, kids, dating) no longer exist and "interviewing" new friends, like speed-dating (?), takes a lot of time and effort to find good ones.

Most retirees have long-established 'old friends' and are not actively pursuing efforts to make new ones. (At some point, people get pretty comfortable with themselves and less concerned with validation, advice or social interaction with others).
I don't have that problem either. I don't actively pursue people to be my friend. It just happens. It doesn't take time since I am doing what I want to do when I meet them and it certainly requires no effort.

When I hear people on here say it is hard to make friends I wonder what they do all day.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:02 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,131,639 times
Susan, thanks for this---enjoyed it. So maybe there is an evolutionary neurological precedent for my weeding out my social garden!

Old 06-27-2016, 02:09 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
thinkalot, where do you meet your new friends?

Old 06-27-2016, 02:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

When we moved to Arizona I found the opposite to be true. We made a lot of friends in the 15 months we lived there.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:46 PM

1,204 posts, read 934,816 times
I have an alternative theory to offer, both for monkeys and for people who narrow their social circle as they age. Being social is a biological necessity for mating and reproducing. As we age, the biological drive fades. For those of us who aren't overly sociable by nature, the subconscious imperative to get out there and keep the human race going, fades. We can be content with less interaction. Some, of course, are just wired to be sociable, and enjoy lots of company and friends; thus some of these responses will be that we have as many, or more friends than ever. But for those who don't enjoy high levels of interaction, nature allows us to say enough is enough, and fall back.
Yes? No? Maybe?

Old 06-27-2016, 04:49 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslandRetired View Post
I have an alternative theory to offer, both for monkeys and for people who narrow their social circle as they age. Being social is a biological necessity for mating and reproducing. As we age, the biological drive fades. For those of us who aren't overly sociable by nature, the subconscious imperative to get out there and keep the human race going, fades. We can be content with less interaction. Some, of course, are just wired to be sociable, and enjoy lots of company and friends; thus some of these responses will be that we have as many, or more friends than ever. But for those who don't enjoy high levels of interaction, nature allows us to say enough is enough, and fall back.
Yes? No? Maybe?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement