Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:59 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Now that I have been retired for more than 5 years, something that I never really prepared for, I find that every once in a while I find myself overwhelmed by a rush of memories covering everything from my early life to about 25 years ago.

Do others find this happening to them too?

It will be 10 years this December for me in retirement, and I don't have a rush of memories about my life, but I do, occasionally have little snippets, almost like a short film of something that happened in my life come scooting across my mind. I do have dreams about my job that I retired from, and every once in awhile, the dreams become a mish-mash of present day, and days of working. It makes for an interesting night to say the least. I suppose that some of the things in our life meant more to us than we thought they did at the time, and now we re-live the moments. Whatever the reason, it's nice to visit moments in our past even if only for a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 10:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Write a book.

I just stayed with a retired couple in Wales. DW has written 5 novels since she retired. They are selling well, and she is very interesting and very excellent writer. FAR different than her 'career'. Hope she gets decent revenue, but it has been a very educational passion, and much fun as she travels around and stays with local historians to validate her content.

My spouse is suprised I can remember and recite most of our travels for last 40 yrs. down to the stops, routes, meals, and hikes / outdoor encounters. I recently re-chronicled our 12 week camping / biking trip during 1981.

Just wish I could re-experience the idyllic float trip down Snake River with sunrise on the Tetons. Mother and calf moose, and crispy spring morning. We did have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at 5AM launch. That was a first and last breakfast, but fine at the time! Chuck Wagon pancakes at Jenny Lake Lodge is still on my bucket list. One can enjoy your dreams, as well as memories.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:34 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,663,818 times
My parents divorced when I was 4, I recall my mother yelling at my dad that she wished he were dead...by the time I was 4 1/2 she got her wish. I was too young to process what I was taking in but when I recall those moments and others from her, I have regrets about not standing up and sometimes wonder who I could have been if my dad were still here. I seem to remember missed opportunities that could have taken me on easier paths. However, today I stay focused on my wonderful husband and try to push out the fear that someday, one of us will be alone.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:25 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's your memory, downsizing.

As you prepare for throwing out some of the clutter you've gathered over the decades in your brain, you have to dust off and look at your memories one last time before you put them in the pile of things to be picked up.

But seriously, I hear you. The other day, and for no apparent reason, I remembered when I was about 3 years old and wet the bed. I even remembered the pajamas I had on and trying to hide it from my mother. I never wet the bed other than that time so where did that come from? Then, I found a name in my address book and had no idea who it was or where I knew them from. The address book is only 9 years old.

I play Fun Trivia Duel on line so I know the stupid stuff I remember. I just don't know why I remember it. You would think our memories would prioritize themselves.
Hey Laura, others I know have memories of wetting the bed. For some of them, it was just last week!😆😆😆😆😆

Old 07-07-2016, 06:01 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
I too am not a depressed type person, just the opposite, but I am also thinking more about my past now that I am older. I think it is normal to reflect on things that you have done (both good and not so good) and wonder how you would have handled them now.

I also have some regrets about the kind of person I was when I was younger and the people I hurt by it. You can not go back in time, but I think it makes you a better person to reflect on some of those things and make sure you learned a lesson from them. Sometimes I wonder "What the Hell was I thinking back then to do that !"

No, OP, I think you are absolutely normal in this respect.

Don

Old 07-07-2016, 07:26 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,736 times
I'm not retired yet, but I have found that as I get older (I'm 64) and closer to wrapping up my career, I'm becoming a lot more aware of my mortality and that I have more years behind me than ahead of me. I don't dwell on the end of my life, but I find I occasionally reflect on where I've been and where I may be headed. I actually see my impending retirement as the next and final phase of life, it's kind of exciting and I'm looking forward to it.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:53 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,128,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Just wish I could re-experience the idyllic float trip down Snake River with sunrise on the Tetons. Mother and calf moose, and crispy spring morning. We did have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at 5AM launch. That was a first and last breakfast, but fine at the time! Chuck Wagon pancakes at Jenny Lake Lodge is still on my bucket list. One can enjoy your dreams, as well as memories.
We never really understand which things that happen in life are the most joyous and wonderful until many years later we can compare all of them in memory.

....like that wonderful birthday cake with your 2 year old son(who is now a grown up father himself, and a staff scientist somewhere) where you and his mother and his sister were laughing with excitement when the candles kept re-lighting after he blew them out.

I would love to be back in that moment again because I would have enjoyed it much more if I'd known how precious it would be.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Yup, the 're-lighting candles' and the hearty belly laugh of a 2 yr old. . So sweet it was, great to still have memories!

We recently accompanied a dear friend of 95 to her childhood memories of vacation / home spots in Ireland and Lake District, UK.

She wanted pictures of her, where her grandfather had stood looking over the hills.
Pics turned out great! What a beautiful day!
She was almost in heaven! Delighted by the vists and memories, and Homemade ice cream!

Old 07-07-2016, 10:14 AM

82 posts, read 80,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Now that I have been retired for more than 5 years, something that I never really prepared for, I find that every once in a while I find myself overwhelmed by a rush of memories covering everything from my early life to about 25 years ago.

Do others find this happening to them too?
I think it happens to a lot of us. I have really had a flood of memories from my childhood since my parents passed. I like to think it's God's way of helping us hold onto the sweet memories and a reflection of our life. I think it's a pretty natural part of life for many of us.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:48 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,128,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
However, today I stay focused on my wonderful husband and try to push out the fear that someday, one of us will be alone.
That of course is the one that those of us with a signifcant other of many many years all have. My wife's father in good health lived to 94. My mother is 94, and her sister is 96. We are both in our mid 60's.

I gave her an anniversary card about 15 years ago that said: "May we live a hundred years together, but that I live only one day longer than you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement