Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 AM

114 posts, read 204,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I moved to the Cleveland area first on the east side in Cleveland Heights and then to a senior building last month (lowest age allowed is 62) in Lakewood Ohio. Lakewood is great. The COL in Ohio in general is low and every thing I want and need is here.
Interesting isn't it? What you describe that makes you happy sounds like a horror show to me and if I described what I like, you'd probably have the same reaction. I too live in Ohio but spend Oct/Nov and March/April in Oro Valley which is northwest of Tucson. To the OP, how outdoor active do you like to be? Tucson is nirvana for hiking and cycling. Suggest checking it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 10:39 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
We are very happy with our retirement move to Maine. We have found it to be very low cost; in land/home prices, taxes and COL.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:48 AM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1231 View Post
Yes, I will surely look at Las Vegas. Should be a bit less hot and have fewer scorpions and other bugs than Tuscon.
Tucson is actually a touch cooler because of its elevation.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:39 AM

53 posts, read 60,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Just a point out here. You will not find Nirvana. Every place has something unappealing. Best thing to do is check out anyplace that has more than 3 checks on your top 5 need to have in your retirement. Also retire to something not from something.
There will not be a perfect place within my budget, but a few things like hurricanes and tornadoes are deal breakers. There are places without hurricanes and tornadoes and flooding that are within my budget.
I will just have to deal with weather that is not ideal. I'd like to find the "least bad" summers and winters and try to avoid scorpions and similar hard to eradicate pests if possible.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
There will not be a perfect place within my budget, but a few things like hurricanes and tornadoes are deal breakers.
Then scratch Co Springs, as it has tornadoes. About the same risk as, say, San Antonio TX.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:07 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsofmisery View Post
Interesting isn't it? What you describe that makes you happy sounds like a horror show to me and if I described what I like, you'd probably have the same reaction. I too live in Ohio but spend Oct/Nov and March/April in Oro Valley which is northwest of Tucson. To the OP, how outdoor active do you like to be? Tucson is nirvana for hiking and cycling. Suggest checking it out.
This is so true. It's nice that we are all individuals with what we like and want in our lives. The state I wish to move to has a slow pace of life with old historic towns where not much happens. I see posts about this in the U.S. forum about how boring it is, nothing to do, no where to go etc.... I long for this. I want a small town, where everyone knows everyone, low crime, and walking distance to a beautiful little quaint downtown area. I want to move to Mayberry. After living most of my life in what I consider a crime ridden hell hole where I don't even feel comfortable going out at night to put gas in my car, I want a boring, lovely little small town. One person's paradise is another person's nightmare, LOL.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:23 PM

53 posts, read 60,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsofmisery View Post
I doubt I would be doing any hiking, but I would like to be able to walk around the neighborhood to a grocery store and other shops/restaurants, library, community center, etc.. Maybe I'd walk to the grocery store every day or two and buy 1 bag of groceries at a time instead of waiting a week or two between shopping and then needing a car to carry everything.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Rio Rancho is a suburb of Albuquerque and would probably meet your requirements.
That's a pretty good suggestion. Really cheap houses, more moderate climate than Vegas and some other places mentioned (i.e., lower electric bills). Not much in the way of natural disasters to deal with.

Of course, any place with mild winters is going to have crawly things... no way around that one.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:49 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
Quote:
There will not be a perfect place within my budget, but a few things like hurricanes and tornadoes are deal breakers. There are places without hurricanes and tornadoes and flooding that are within my budget.
I wouldn't necessarily rule out an area due to tornadoes. They make big news when one hits a town, but really, the odds that one will hit your house are pretty low. And really, tornadoes can happen anywhere, so there aren't any guarantees. I was in two tornadoes in mid-state New York- one when I was a kid and the second one about 20 years ago- no damage to our house either time. I was also living in Iowa City when a tornado ripped right through town and passed literally within 100 feet of my house. I didn't have any damage at all to my house.

I guess what I am trying to say is that tornadoes don't read the rule book that they are only supposed to happen in tornado alley, and you might be ruling out some great places based on what a preconceived notion of the relative danger of living in an area that has tornadoes.

I live in a medium-sized city in the upper midwest now; we get tornadoes in our state, but for the most part, even though the news makes a big whoop about it, they touch down in a field somewhere and don't cause any damage. It is freaky when the sirens go off, but I really don't worry about tornadoes.

JMHO.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:06 PM

416 posts, read 260,279 times
Visit Sun City AZ. You can get a nice 1300 sq ft 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo for anywhere from $75,000 to $125 K. There's no school taxes so your property tax will be around $400 to $500 a year. Rec fees will run you $472 with access then to 8 rec centers and 130 clubs. There's shopping centers in the heart of the community as well as a first class hospital. Golf cars are a preferred mode of transportation and makes life way simpler.

The summers are hot, but otherwise the temps are delightful. I don't know of a more enjoyable way to live for seniors for so little money. Check it out, you won't regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement