Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 07:14 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,932,563 times

Advertisements

I had never heard of this company or knew what a Courtyard Garden would be. I see Epcon has lots of neighborhoods/developments in Ohio, none in Michigan, and a couple dozen neighborhoods/developments in North Carolina.

From the site map of an Ohio Epcon development it appears each structure is comprised of four conjoined units, meaning individual owners share common walls with two different neighbors, and share a conjoined 4-wide driveway with one of those two neighbors. Is this accurate?

"Many of the single-family homes we build in Epcon Communities are designed with a garden courtyard. The home wraps around this outdoor living space, providing a private space. For relaxing, gardening, dining, or entertaining, these courtyards are a popular feature."

Where are the individual Courtyard Gardens? They do not appear to be adjacent to the homes.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 06-19-2019 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 08:14 AM

231 posts, read 495,070 times
Looks to be a different plan than the ones in N.C. No common walls here. Each builder seems to be paying for the Epcon name an marketing, but can build as they desire.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:33 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Only 1 week before the movers were scheduled to move our furniture, I fell and seriously broke both my legs. I spent 4 months in hospitals and rehab so my husband had to take care of the move, getting the new house semi-organized, and visiting me in rehab every day. That was 18 months ago. DH simply had too much to handle and I've had complications and been in a wheelchair all this time.

I love our new neighborhood and new friends. Since it is a new neighborhood, we all were new to each other and pretty much a good friendly group. There are always some who don't care to socialize and stay to themselves which is fine.

I love my courtyard garden and quite frankly I spend more time outside than I did in our bigger house and garden. Everything is so much closer.

But as far as Epcon quality we have found, at least in this neighborhood, we are not so happy. They obviously picked the cheapest way to do lots of things and so many issues have come up and of course, redos. I think before the last house was finished they had 3 or 4 different construction managers. The management company employee we have to deal with is a PITA but now our HOA has taken over and it is much better. For us it has been mostly positive.
Broke both legs? Good heavens.

Good to hear that you love your courtyard garden, and are able to get out and enjoy it, wheelchair and all. Great that you neighbors are friendly bunch. Sorry the Epcon quality isn't as advertised.

Your thread reminded me that I miss every place we've ever lived. Loved them all. Will surely love the next place as well. Hopefully, it will be a place like yours, with good neighbors and without as much work.

Enjoy.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:37 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
glad you are recovering.

I stumbled onto epcon about a year ago liking what I saw. and am willing to consider them. Glad you speak favorably about them.

sold my house and am on a one year experiment as to whether I like renting and can do well in an apartment. If after the year I feel I need a property I own, epcon will be high on my list.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Our particular Epcon community was not a franchise deal. Built by Epcon by local contractors. We found them to be plum anal about any small variation from the master plan. For example, we could add as many electrical outlets as we wanted to pay for but all the ones in the plan also had to be there. And some other things like that. We looked at one other Epcon community near Charlotte which was a franchise deal and the flexibility was unreal. Want to move the door from that way to this way? No problem. Lots of wonderful changes but not in the area where we wanted to live.
I don't think I could live in one of those shared walls community. We've been married 45 years and our first and only shared walls were our first apartment after getting married.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:37 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,692,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We have bought a lot in a new one just now being developed.

We are 77 and 70 and I am in not-good health.
Currently we live in a 5,000 sf house on a beautiful lot with 3 sides surrounded by woods. I have a very high maintenance perennial garden and a beautiful yard, all of which we pay others to maintain.

I know we need to downsize now while we can manage it and we are getting ready for the move in approximately 10 months when our new home will be ready.

If you live in an Epcon Courtyard home are you satisfied with your views and how have you adjusted to this kind of living?
I truly, truly feel for you. But I would like you to listen to me because it's very important that you do.

All of life is series of losses, one after the other. We're just so busy living, up until retirement and older age, that we either don't see that or we choose to ignore it.

Unfortunately, the frequency of losses tends to accelerate in older age; and whether or not we are conscious of it, we tend to spend time grieving.

And that's what you're doing. You are grieving. Yes, you're going to miss the woods around your present home (your home sounds so beautiful) but, for many good reasons, I'm sure, you've chosen to give it up to live in a safer place with not so much upkeep. I believe you think you had and have no choice -- and I think you made the right decision -- I think you are very wise. I also know that it wouldn't have mattered where you decided to move to -- it's not just the loss of your current home and surroundings -- it's the loss of your ability to continue to live in your current home because you can no longer physically keep it up.

Again, no matter where you move to, you will grieve the loss of your present home and the beautiful surroundings -- and you are grieving and will grieve your growing older and your inability to do what you could do, even when you were just a few years younger.

And all of this is perfectly normal. Being sad, being a bit scared, being a bit anxious -- grieving -- it's all very normal.

I'm going to suggest something that may make it all a bit easier -- see a counselor/psychologist. There are some older ones who deal with what is called "issues of aging" -- and this is an issue of aging that all of us experience. You are not crazy, you are not mentally ill -- you just need a little caring help getting through this time. (I've been looking for a psychologist, in my city, who deals with issues of aging. They are not plentiful, and I don't like them at all -- it's hard to find a good counselor/psychologist/therapist. I hope you can find one in your area and that he/she is good. But, even if you don't, you're going to get through this. I promise. It's just going to take time.)

Last edited by Fran66; 06-20-2019 at 04:59 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 02:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
I do not see any reason for No Kudzu to see a psychologist. I think you should go back and read the entire series of stuff she has written. You missed some of the positive posts.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:57 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I truly, truly feel for you. But I would like you to listen to me because it's very important that you do.

All of life is series of losses, one after the other. We're just so busy living, up until retirement and older age, that we either don't see that or we choose to ignore it.

Unfortunately, the frequency of losses tends to accelerate in older age; and whether or not we are conscious of it, we tend to spend time grieving.

And that's what you're doing. You are grieving. Yes, you're going to miss the woods around your present home (your home sounds so beautiful) but, for many good reasons, I'm sure, you've chosen to give it up to live in a safer place with not so much upkeep. I believe you think you had and have no choice -- and I think you made the right decision -- I think you are very wise. I also know that it wouldn't have mattered where you decided to move to -- it's not just the loss of your current home and surroundings -- it's the loss of your ability to continue to live in your current home because you can no longer physically keep it up.

Again, no matter where you move to, you will grieve the loss of your present home and the beautiful surroundings -- and you are grieving and will grieve your growing older and your inability to do what you could do, even when you were just a few years younger.

And all of this is perfectly normal. Being sad, being a bit scared, being a bit anxious -- grieving -- it's all very normal.

I'm going to suggest something that may make it all a bit easier -- see a counselor/psychologist. There are some older ones who deal with what is called "issues of aging" -- and this is an issue of aging that all of us experience. You are not crazy, you are not mentally ill -- you just need a little caring help getting through this time. (I've been looking for a psychologist, in my city, who deals with issues of aging. They are not plentiful, and I don't like them at all -- it's hard to find a good counselor/psychologist/therapist. I hope you can find one in your area and that he/she is good. But, even if you don't, you're going to get through this. I promise. It's just going to take time.)
Why comment when you obviously haven't read the full thread? The whole move was my idea. I have had all my really favorite plants transplanted to our new courtyard. We have been in our new place almost 2 years--well my family has been here that long but I broke both my legs right before our move and I was in the rehab hospital for 4 months so it took me a bit to get there.
The point is I love this new place. I see trees and woods behind us and in my courtyard from every single window. Our birdfeeders are a constant buzz with activity. I wake up to beautiful birdsong. My mental health is just fine, thank you.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:00 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
I lived in many states so I looked at Epcon’s locations in those states. Pretty much the boonies IMHO. Good luck if it works out for you! Looks nice, just not in places we would want to be

Old 02-24-2021, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 903 times
Default Fences at Courtyards by Epcon Charlotte Area

We are looking at relocating to Charlotte area and love the concept of the Courtyards by Epcon. We have been looking at one in an established community in Huntersville and another one in Wesley Chapel. The issue is that we are looking for a walkout basement home, which they have but will not allow you to fence in any part of the yard. The HOA's are trying to say that if you have a walkout basement your upstairs deck is now considered your courtyard. That does not make sense at all. So if you buy a one story with a courtyard you can fence that in for privacy, but if you want a basement you cannot have a fence. We have two dogs that we do not want to put on a leash every time they have to pee. We do not intend to leave our dogs out to live in the fenced yard or to stay unsupervised, we just want somewhere they can potty. They do allow dogs in their communities, but not allowing a walkout basement home to have a private fenced area seems unreasonable. Anybody else with this experience? If so did you fight to get a fence and did you win?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement