Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 10:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times

Advertisements

There are many opportunities in 'old age' to meet very fun, decent, and caring CLOSE - supportive friends.

Good Friends are great
Volunteer more....
Master Gardener
Community events
Usher at music / drama presentations
Join community choir and drama
Travel solo to interesting places
Walk and hike and swim
Get to know your great neighbors (hopefully you have many, just seek them out).

Become good friends and pick with great choice, confidence, and care, those who you will share more of yourself / time with.

There are zillions of excellent fish in the sea. 'Luck' is a poor substitue for substance. Invest yourself in others, anf you will reap great rewards. SFSG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 10:06 AM

237 posts, read 224,637 times
Why should this be a surprise to anyone? Seniors, more than anyone, know that life is precious and each day should be savored, whether it's with a romantic partner or anything else.

Something that really bothers me is how so many people see seniors as something less than a full person. Maybe some have some diminished capabilities, but they are still fully human and deserve respect as a fellow human. I really hate when people "baby talk" to seniors - very disrespectful.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Funny, as I grow older, I am so aware of being lonely and wanting a significant (man) other in my life. They are hard to find at my age of 74. Seems the dating sites are full of guys who seem to want multiple experiences rather than find "the one" for a meaningful relationship.

With modern day medicine, thankfully most STDs can be relieved with medication for a few days. Or some other type of medication.

I've spent a large part of my life worrying. I gave that up about a year ago. If a decent man came along who was unfortunate enough to "get something" but it happened long ago, why should I throw the "baby" out with the bath water? Why would I expect perfection when I am far from being perfect myself? I've just been lucky!
Don't ever give up! Even if it's just a date, you probably enjoyed the evening and it's practice!

Just look at this forum. There are so many cool people here I would love to know better just from reading their posts over the years. Life is supposed to be an adventure!

Old 07-15-2016, 02:02 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Don't ever give up! Even if it's just a date, you probably enjoyed the evening and it's practice!

Just look at this forum. There are so many cool people here I would love to know better just from reading their posts over the years. Life is supposed to be an adventure!
Was not able to rep you, but I wanted to say thank you for your positive response.

I've made some changes in my thinking and finding not only more peace, but more freedom. Best feeling yet!!

One thing is for sure, I need to get out more.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:49 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
I'm surprised The Hebrew Home at Riverdale, which is the focus of the New York Times article, has 870 residents!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/ny...T.nav=top-news

That's huge!

It's in the Riverdale section of the Bronx - in New York City.

Bronx Nursing Home Facility

And the residents have a dating service called G-Date which is Grandparent Date.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:50 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
NYgal, you DO sound a lot happier lately. I believe you when you say you've been thinking things through and that you're finding contentment. Maybe your contented self will attract a new partner, you never know.

My 74 year old friend who is in love just emailed me that they are taking day trips, going to restaurants, he came over and stayed until midnight. She says he's really easy to be with as they are alike. It just took a little while to find him! (next adventure will be sex--he's asking about it, she is kind of up in the air at this point.)

Old 07-15-2016, 10:19 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Such a Happy thread! Love is found regardless of age. I feel sorry for those who say no thanks cuz " I am too old".

Old 07-15-2016, 10:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Was not able to rep you, but I wanted to say thank you for your positive response.

I've made some changes in my thinking and finding not only more peace, but more freedom. Best feeling yet!!

One thing is for sure, I need to get out more.
Great news! Freedom comes more readily as you release demands on yourself and others. (Easier for / on others too!...). Some of us are WAY too controlling, and that is OUR loss. As they say..."take time to Smell the Roses" (I'm still working on that one...)

Make an effort to become a 'low maintanence person', that is a lot of fun to be with, and to be around.

My F-I-L got snatched by a high maint floozie, before M-I-L was cold in the grave. It has been a very difficult last 15 yrs for him and the rest of us (including HER kids who are quite irritated and embarassed by her demands.). F-I-L (age 94) never once complains, but does confide in private the he will be pleased to have his family and dignity and freedom back 'someday'....He says that he is moving in with us the day she 'passes'. . Thats's OK, he and others are welcome anytime. We have a big place and are seldom home. He can feed the dog!, so we can stay away even longer.

Low Maintenance people are So Much Easier to be around. This makes a HUGE difference if you end up being their caregiver!!!!!.

Nagging, demanding, complaining people..... They are best left alone to sit in the corner and count their incoming pension. Like Scrooge McDuck (It better not be late by one day!)

Old 07-16-2016, 04:46 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
It is always nice when someone finds happiness. As with other times of life this is no time to settle for less than you want.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:47 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
in_newengland: Thank you for your kind words and support. I do feel happier these days because I realized no matter what I end up doing, I only have to worry about taking care of me and making sure I like whatever it is. Not worried about what others think anymore.

StealthRabbit: Nice words to read, thank you. I am not a high maintenance person, never expected much out of others but always expected a lot out of me. And when I failed, it was not good. Holding myself up to others expectations got pretty tiring.

I am free at last and it's a really nice feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement