Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 05:07 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times

Advertisements

Can't have anything to do with the high cost of living....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 05:49 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Nothing pretentious about it if it's stating fact.
You are correct about having some hard earned letters after your name. I work with 5 nurses in my department between the ages of 55-64 that were hired within the last 5 years because they had the varied work experience and credentials required for the positions that younger nurses who applied did not have. These nurses all worked in private sector jobs for 25-30 years and "retired" from them with small or no pensions. Their goal in addition to needing the income was to get in 5 health insurance vesting years of government service so when they leave which likely for 4 of them will be before they are Medicare eligible age 65 they will have health insurance to cover the gap and beyond. And with their $100K plus salary despite only 5 years of service will have enough pension to cover the premiums. Although we may not have these nurses for many years, their varied expertise has enhanced the positive outcomes in all aspects of my department and IMO very valuable employees to have.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:39 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I've retired twice, once for a year and a half and once for three years, and now work 40 hours every week. Retirement was not good for me. It was fun for a while, but you can only play with your toys so much before it gets old.

I also saw myself slipping healthwise and intellectually. I got very little exercise and was starting to sleep in later and later every day. I also had no mental stimulation, but now I solve problems for customers all day and find my brain getting sharper. I also feel useful again. Just this week my manager said "If you ever left the place would fall apart." That recognition feels great.

Currently, I am 71 and plan to stay on the job as long as the body holds out. The extra money also lets me invest in my car hobby to a bigger degree than if I were not working.

Don

Old 07-23-2016, 08:57 AM

268 posts, read 345,020 times
Never living below your means is not a great way to go thru life or this will happen you you too!

Old 07-23-2016, 09:04 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Nothing pretentious about it if it's stating fact.
Absolutely not. It's hard work to get those letters behind your name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
Never living below your means is not a great way to go thru life or this will happen you you too!
I am guessing you did not read the article.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:53 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
You are correct about having some hard earned letters after your name. I work with 5 nurses in my department between the ages of 55-64 that were hired within the last 5 years because they had the varied work experience and credentials required for the positions that younger nurses who applied did not have. These nurses all worked in private sector jobs for 25-30 years and "retired" from them with small or no pensions. Their goal in addition to needing the income was to get in 5 health insurance vesting years of government service so when they leave which likely for 4 of them will be before they are Medicare eligible age 65 they will have health insurance to cover the gap and beyond. And with their $100K plus salary despite only 5 years of service will have enough pension to cover the premiums. Although we may not have these nurses for many years, their varied expertise has enhanced the positive outcomes in all aspects of my department and IMO very valuable employees to have.

I was talking about my wife. She is the one who wanted to go back to work and has the letters after her name. I majored in accounting and could have had "CPA" after my name, but a few years of cubicle life disabused me of that notion. I enjoy my retired life and have no interest in going back to work.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:24 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've retired twice, once for a year and a half and once for three years, and now work 40 hours every week. Retirement was not good for me. It was fun for a while, but you can only play with your toys so much before it gets old.

I also saw myself slipping healthwise and intellectually. I got very little exercise and was starting to sleep in later and later every day. I also had no mental stimulation, but now I solve problems for customers all day and find my brain getting sharper. I also feel useful again. Just this week my manager said "If you ever left the place would fall apart." That recognition feels great.

Currently, I am 71 and plan to stay on the job as long as the body holds out. The extra money also lets me invest in my car hobby to a bigger degree than if I were not working.

Don
That's great, nothing wrong with that. But not everyone can count on being indispensable at age 70.

I realize some people have trouble being retired and without direction, but it really is kind of easy to become your own boss. Just make rules for yourself about exercise, mental and physical, and having some kind of hobbies and social life.

I always remind myself that all we really have in this life is time, and we should try not to waste it. I don't need a boss, and actually hated having a boss. I felt like one person had complete control over my life and my future. Even if they were very nice, they could still give me a hard time if for some reason they were just having a bad day. And some of them were not nice at all. One boss I had, for quite a long time, used to remind me of a vicious wild animal. He literally would growl and snarl if he was mad about something. And he was almost always mad. Not just at me, that was his personality.

Boy, now that I think about it, I am so glad not to have a boss.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:07 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,635 times
Quote:
I was talking about my wife. She is the one who wanted to go back to work and has the letters after her name. I majored in accounting and could have had "CPA" after my name, but a few years of cubicle life disabused me of that notion. I enjoy my retired life and have no interest in going back to work.
I understood it was your wife returning to work and that is what I responded to. Glad you are happy retired and glad your wife is happy working.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:07 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
I am three years behind you and plan to do the same thing and that is work as long as the health holds out and I feel like it. Right now I feel like it so it is off to work I go!

One thing I like is knowing I can walk away anytime I want. If I had to stop work tomorrow my wife and I would be just fine and able to enjoy a comfortable and secure retirement.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:03 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I am 61 and haven't been working due to a lot of things. Luckily I have my late husband's pension. But like someone posted I found I had no purpose in life, no reason to get up in the morning. I did some gardening and some charity work but it's just not the same as going to work and earning your own money. I always thought it would be great not to have to go to work but after a while, unless you're wealthy enough to take vacations, etc., there is only so much "fun" you can fill your day with.

I went back to work this past May - part time, two days a week from 11-5. I feel sharper and less like I'm just wasting what's left of my life. I am punctual and flexible to fill in for people when they go on vacation. It was a field I had never worked in but I have picked it up quickly as I was an administrative assistant most of my working life.

I'm sure for a lot of those grandmas who are still working it might be the economy, it might be that they are raising grandchildren because their kids can't or won't. It might be that they like working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement