Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:43 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times

Advertisements

Peak earning yeas doesn't matter near as much as how much you spend. If you try to live a typical middle class lifestyle on a typical middle class income, you'll have problems saving, because you're spending so much money "keeping up." The only guaranteed way to save for retirement is cut expenditures and forget buying all the junk that most average Americans spend all their income on. So forget new cars, leasing Beemers, or a big Lexus. Drive used cars with lots of miles, eat out as little as is possible, cook meals at home, buy a smaller house, with lower taxes and upkeep expenses, find out how to vacation on the cheap, cut back on the jewelry, purses, shoes, new outfits, and guys, a toy is fine, not a garage full of boats, ATV's etc. The big keys are what you spend and what you save. I've read stories of guys who made minimum wage and yet had their houses paid for and money in the bank, because they were cheap, thrifty, frugal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 10:07 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Peak earning yeas doesn't matter near as much as how much you spend. If you try to live a typical middle class lifestyle on a typical middle class income, you'll have problems saving, because you're spending so much money "keeping up." The only guaranteed way to save for retirement is cut expenditures and forget buying all the junk that most average Americans spend all their income on. So forget new cars, leasing Beemers, or a big Lexus. Drive used cars with lots of miles, eat out as little as is possible, cook meals at home, buy a smaller house, with lower taxes and upkeep expenses, find out how to vacation on the cheap, cut back on the jewelry, purses, shoes, new outfits, and guys, a toy is fine, not a garage full of boats, ATV's etc. The big keys are what you spend and what you save. I've read stories of guys who made minimum wage and yet had their houses paid for and money in the bank, because they were cheap, thrifty, frugal.
Precisely - don't buy a depreciating item on credit unless it is absolutely unavoidable. Pay cash for the boat, etc. and don't deplete your emergency fund to do it.

The keeping up and the more more more thing is going to sink me for awhile with a bad job fit. Had I not spend like I had, I'd have at least had a fighting chance from this setback.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:33 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Buy a Tri-plex house. One structure with three apartments in it. Move into one unit, and rent out the other two.

Find a handy-man you trust to be on-call for repairs.

Beyond the closing costs, you will never make a single mortgage payment from your earnings. The money for monthly payments will flow from the tenants. This gives you a better standing of financial independence.

If you decide to rent to college students, you will always have young people around to help trimming shrubs or moving furniture, etc.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:53 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Buy a Tri-plex house. One structure with three apartments in it. Move into one unit, and rent out the other two.

Beyond the closing costs, you will never make a single mortgage payment from your earnings. The money for monthly payments will flow from the tenants. This gives you a better standing of financial independence.

If you decide to rent to college students, you will always have young people around to help trimming shrubs or moving furniture, etc.
( LAST PARAGRAPH )

Many times on Judge Judy there is a landlord trying to recoup damage done by tenants prior to moving out.
When it involves college students, many times her reply to the landlord is........."what did you expect when you rent to young college kids " ?

Old 07-26-2016, 11:32 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:

Like they say - LOCATION! The first question to ask is what is happening in my location. Renter or landlord market? Does one WANT to be a landlord? And, live right next/attached to your renter? Do you really want to hope that your tenants help trim shrubs or move furniture????

I live in a seller's (and landlord) market. But good luck in finding a RELIABLE, let alone trustworthy and capable handy man. Shoot - the trades are dying for decent workers here.

I'm 57 and bought my first house 3 years ago because it was much cheaper than renting. I previously lived in SF so buying wasn't an option until I relocated. And if I listened to those who say don't get a 30 year mortgage (horrors!) at your age, I'd not be sitting on a townhouse that has doubled in price in 3 years. So like they say - location location location.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:33 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:

This works better sometimes than others. Many people make bad, bad "pets".

Submariner, how did you vet your tenants? Or did you just stick with Navy towns and rent to sailors, who generally do pay their bills and don't trash the place?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:31 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This works better sometimes than others. Many people make bad, bad "pets".

Submariner, how did you vet your tenants? Or did you just stick with Navy towns and rent to sailors, who generally do pay their bills and don't trash the place?
As a sailor I lived near Navy bases, the easiest tenants to find were sailors. One property we had also had a high percentage of Air Force, so we rented to AF personnel also. There was a huge difference in take-home pay that was shocking, but it worked out.

Any time you have problems with a sailor not paying his rent, you contact his CMC and rent money is paid immediately.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:34 PM

28 posts, read 26,870 times
Thank you all for advice and the alternate options.

Rent higher than mortgage and rising prices are both reason why I'm considering buying. And yes, location is everything.

My son and DIL are financially responsible people. I renewed my current lease a few weeks ago, so we will have at least months to work out all potential scenarios.

I'll have to check back in to let you guys which direction I chose.

Thanks again.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:35 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,395,161 times
First off welcome to the board livelife. There are a number of us here from the DC area for whatever reason.

I have also researched reverse mortgages and have learned that the general consensus is the fees are way too high to justify. As for sharing the house that's a tough call, too much of a good thing may not be best.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:37 PM

28 posts, read 26,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
First off welcome to the board livelife. There are a number of us here from the DC area for whatever reason.

I have also researched reverse mortgages and have learned that the general consensus is the fees are way too high to justify. As for sharing the house that's a tough call, too much of a good thing may not be best.
Hi DaveinMtAiry. Thank you for welcome. I've also thought that a "good thing" may be too much. At least I am not pressured to make a move. I recently renewed the lease on my apartment. So I'll continue my research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement