Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:27 PM

28 posts, read 26,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There isn't enough information to give reasonable advice. All we know is age 58 and NOVA.

If your total net worth is low, you're running out of time to do anything but rely on your children for housing. If you're high enough income and have a bit of 401(k) match, you can save about $250K between now and full retirement age with a $24K max contribution plus an employer match. That would give you about $10K/year of income stream.

An awful lot of people with no/minimal pension, no home equity, and low IRA/401(k) balances are going to be faced with retirement math where they really can't retire until age 70. The Social Security check as primary source of income simply isn't big enough to afford housing, utilities, Medicare/supplemental premiums, a car, food, and the rest of middle class trappings. With a small in-law apartment, it becomes possible.
Hello.
I hope everyone had a great holiday. Thank you for your advice. Please do not misunderstand. I am not in any way planning or needing to rely on my children for housing now or in retirement. Some people may need to live with their children, and that is okay. I am simply looking for ways to maximize my income for retirement.

I make a good income in a very high cost of living area. I have a 401k and I am taking advantage of my employers 6% match, as well as contributing to an HSA and a 401k Roth. I am not maxed at 24K, but reducing my housing would help to reach the max contribution. Since I plan to work to 66, I plan to take my pension at 62 and that will add to my emergency account. Which would be around $50K. I won't need it for living expenses, since I'll still be working. Currently I am estimating 45K in retirement. It's not a lot, but better than most. Worst case scenario...surely I can live someplace in this great land on $45k.

Thank you for the advice. Will work on 10K income stream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 09:30 PM

28 posts, read 26,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Livelife

Regardless, I would try and cut down the entertainment and travel expenses. Put that money away (Mutual Funds) for retirement when you will have plenty of time to do both.
I look into Mutual Funds...I don't quite understand how they work, but will research.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement