Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:01 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times

Advertisements

Fidelity also uses this security technique for some services. I complained when I needed to send a wire since I had texting turned off on my phone but they gave me no other option (except traveling to one of their offices) so I relented and turned on texting in order to accomplish the transaction.

I am not sure what transactions you can perform from the SS website that requires this level of security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 09:03 AM

252 posts, read 234,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Because that would defeat the entire purpose of the two-step authentication process.

The whole point is to require two different means of communication to authenticate your account. If your computer security has been compromised by a keystroke logger or by some other means, then SSA emailing you a code obviously wouldn't be adding an additional level of security.

What SSA is doing makes perfect sense and should have been done a long time ago. I can't believe that people are actually looking to complain about a Government agency adding another level of security to protect their account.

Bank of America offers email as a choice. If you are afraid of keylogging - two points.
1) You can copy paste.
2) The code can only be used once. So you get in first and the code is no good any more.

If I get the code on another device, I still have to put it in the little CODE: box which means typing since it goes into the original device.

Also the code comes to the phone even when it is the SAME device and the phone browser is being used.

The additional "level" is the code delivery, not the device since same device can exist with the phone delivery method.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:07 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
...I would wager that the subset of seniors who have online accounts, but don't have a cell phone is quite small. If they're not online anyway, then this doesn't really affect them.

Then if you don't want to use a cell phone you can just use your landline to call SSA and get whatever information you need, right?...

I have a plain-vanilla cell phone fotr emergencies only that offers no options other than calling. I dont text so why should I (or anyone else) have to buy a new phone just so I can access my Social Security account?

And I doubt that, once this requirement goes into effect, SSA will give anyone info over the phone. People will probably have to go through the USPS verification process, which will mean the info wont be furnished for weeks.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:17 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Another way to look at it is that mySSA accounts are accessible from a computer. This implies a certain level of geekyness and technological proficiency. We're worried about seniors our parents age, without cell phone texting capability accessing their accounts. I would rhetorically ask, how many of our parents have and use a computer?

Not many, I suspect. All of us here are comfortable with computer use, and probably most of us with an internet connection also have cellular telephones. We are fortunate in that our generation came into adulthood just as home computers were becoming economically viable. Many of us were part of that pioneering technological revolution and most of the rest of us became the first users of the technology in our employment and daily lives. I think we're worrying about something that is not really a problem. Just the way I see it.

As mentioned above, some of will be affected because we don't have texting phones, but as also stated, I suspect the percentage who lose access will be quite small.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:26 AM

527 posts, read 1,408,357 times
The fact that when I want to access my SSA acct from my computer.

I have to put in my username/password (find password), then find my cell phone and wait for a text for a pin # and then go back to my computer to put in a pin is totally wrong.

I suspect this will accomplish 2 things, yes, makes access more secure.
and yes, less and less people will use online access.
to much trouble to get into your acct.
I have enough trouble just keeping a up to date list of passwords for online whatever.
Just pick up phone and call or walk in

It should be optional for those concerned with security not mandatory.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:29 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,015,992 times
How often does an elderly senior access his Social Security account? Or the Medicare site? Hardly ever.

Both the elderly seniors and the younger seniors who refuse to own a cell phone can go to their local SSA office for assistance. You know, like everyone did back in the "old" days.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:34 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
The fact that when I want to access my SSA acct from my computer.

I have to put in my username/password (find password),then find my cell phone and wait for a text for a pin # and then go back to my computer to put in a pin is totally wrong.

I suspect this will accomplish 2 things, yes, makes access more secure.
and yes, less and less people will use online access.
to much trouble to get into your acct.
I have enough trouble just keeping a up to date list of passwords for online whatever.
Just pick up phone and call or walk in

It should be optional for those concerned with security not mandatory.
Or, knowing this is the process, plan to have your cellphone at your computer desk, wait for the text, pick up to phone, enter the PIN, set the phone back down....

Old 07-29-2016, 09:51 AM

344 posts, read 416,722 times
I have an account and I never got the email being talked about. My curiosity got the best of me so I went to the site (which is usually a PITA because I only go once per year and have to change the password, which I just had to do!). There was nothing on the site or in my message center about this new thing.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:55 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
I have an account and I never got the email being talked about. My curiosity got the best of me so I went to the site (which is usually a PITA because I only go once per year and have to change the password, which I just had to do!). There was nothing on the site or in my message center about this new thing.
I also checked and found the same as you. I did, however, remember my password.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:04 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,093 times
Quote:
And did she have a computer and use email?

I didn't think so.

I would wager that the subset of seniors who have online accounts, but don't have a cell phone is quite small. If they're not online anyway, then this doesn't really affect them.

Then if you don't want to use a cell phone you can just use your landline to call SSA and get whatever information you need, right?

Or are you really suggesting that SSA should continue to put tens of millions of people's accounts in danger of being hacked because you don't have a cell phone and don't want to be inconvenienced by making a phone call?

What I want is an alternative to obtain the security code to enter by having them give me an alternative to get the security code. I.e. provide my landline number to them and when I go on line to access my account I can click on something to have them call my landline with a number to call to get the number they would normally text to a cell phone.

Many seniors are on line, but, use a landline rather than a cell phone. You usually have one or the other - but, not always both. There should be a way to provide the second level of security via a landline as well as a cell phone.

I rarely need to go on line to My social Security, but, often need to access My Medicare account to see details of Medicare charges. I am concerned that they will also implement the same verification to use my Medicare account.

I am all for a second line of security - that is not the issue. It is the requirement to have only one method to obtain that second level of security for a government web site that would cost me several hundred dollars a year I object to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement