Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 04:54 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
... I can't believe there is no alternative if you do not use a cell phone. Did a 20 year old design this new requirement?
Probably. Stay tuned, because this dunce move is going to blow up real good in the coming days. (I'm especially amazed by the part where they didn't notify customers about this until a week before August begins. )

CALL YOUR CONGRESSCRITTER. I know they're on vacation now. Make 'em work anyway! Call their local office, not their Washington office. Demand action. Free phone or bust!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 05:03 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Please click on the following SSA link and select the 6th button down, "If You Want Extra Security":

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/verify...tid.html#&a0=5

This is what you will see (highlight is mine):

Quote:
"We offer you the choice to add extra security when you create an online account. In addition to your username and password, you would be required to enter a unique code we would send to your text-enabled cell phone each time you want to sign in. Your text message rates still apply.

To add this feature, you will first have to provide us with one of the following to verify your identity:

The last eight digits of your Visa, MasterCard, or Discover credit card;
Information from your W2 tax form;
Information from a 1040 Schedule SE (self-employment) tax form; or
Your direct deposit amount, if you receive Social Security benefits.
In the past, we told you Social Security would never ask for your credit card number or other financial information. We have changed our policy for this one service. Now, we may ask you for the last eight digits of your Visa, MasterCard, or Discover credit card for some other financial information. Our new security process and federal guidelines require that we do this so we can be sure that you are who you say you are when you conduct online business with us.

This information provides extra security because even if someone gets your username and password, he or she will not be able to access your personal information.

Once you give us this additional information, we will send you a letter in the mail in five to 10 business days. You will need this letter to complete the process to add extra security.

You can upgrade to extra security or disable it at any time."
This feature is OPTIONAL!!! You DO NOT have to participate in this! It is strictly for those who CHOOSE to use it, for "Extra Security". If you DON'T have a cellphone, don't WANT to get one, don't do texting, and are happy with the way you now use the SSA website, NONE of this applies to you!

I'm amazed that this thread is still going, with endless bickering over cell phones, texting, inconvenience, and all the rest, for something that is NOT MANDATORY!!!

Last edited by Nor'Eastah; 07-30-2016 at 05:12 AM..

Old 07-30-2016, 05:09 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I know a dozen people who receive Social Security benefits. And not a one of them has received a notice about this.
Perhaps they don't receive communications from the SSA via E-mail. Those of us who signed up recently were asked if we wanted to "go green" and send and received messages to SSA — and access our account information — via E-mail. I thought that was the environmentally sensible thing to do so I've communicated that way exclusively with the SSA since the day I signed up for SS.

I got an E-mail from SSA this week informing me of the change. What I think is most stupid about it is their waiting until literally DAYS before the change to tell anyone.

They're making this change in August and in November seniors will be accessing their SS accounts when they sign up for Medicare supplemental insurance plans. It doesn't matter if this change is mandatory. First of all, what's mandatory today will probably be required soon. And those who deal with senior citizens should KNOW that the elderly freak out very easily over change. This was rolled out very stupidly.

Clearly this change was orchestrated by people who spend their lives on "smart" phones and assume the rest of the world does, too. They aren't thinking in the least about customers like my 90-year-old mother who reads E-mail on her desk-top computer but could not turn on a cell phone (hand arthritis and mild cognitive disabilities), let alone send a text.

I repeat my earlier message: CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE IN CONGRESS. They'll love a big brouhaha right before election day.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 07-30-2016 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-30-2016, 05:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,419 times
Once again because of others the onus is put on us to protect ourselves instead of they who are supposed to protect our data. They should identify, prosecute and fine or jail anyone found guilty of unauthorized access to our information. I have never read a news story about this happening. Has anyone else? I emailed them questions about this new feature and they didn't answer my questions, they just reiterated the same info as the original notice. And they didn't include my email content with their response to provide context. Anyone and everyone that uses email to communicate knows how important it is to provide context, apparently everyone but them. I think if they want to use this method they should provide text capable phones to all those who don't own them, like me.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,419 times
@Nor'Eastah

It is not mandatory if you don't want to access your info.

In the body of the notice I received it is stated:

"If you do not have a text-enabled cell phone or you do not wish to provide your cell phone number, you will not be able to access your my Social Security account".

So Nor'Eastah what did I miss?

Old 07-30-2016, 05:24 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbig View Post
So Nor'Eastah what did I miss?
What you missed - what we all missed - was a hard copy letter from SSA via USPS, giving at least 30 days notice of a change in policy. That is what would be required for this, not an email.

A substantial portion of retirees (esp the older ones) do not even have an email address, let alone a computer! Nothing of this importance will ever be sent via email!

Please check the link in my post #82, and read it for yourself. It is a direct quote from the SSA website, and you will NOT be required to log in, to read the quoted section. So there's NO risk.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:33 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
...This feature is OPTIONAL!!! You DO NOT have to participate in this! It is strictly for those who CHOOSE to use it, for "Extra Security". If you DON'T have a cellphone, don't WANT to get one, don't do texting, and are happy with the way you now use the SSA website, NONE of this applies to you!

I'm amazed that this thread is still going, with endless bickering over cell phones, texting, inconvenience, and all the rest, for something that is NOT MANDATORY!!!

IT'S OPTIONAL ONLY THROUGH TODAY. STARTING TOMORROW IT'S REQUIRED. Below is an email from SSA that was received in response to an inquiry about the new text requirement:

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration. On October 17, 2014, President Obama signed an Executive Order on cyber security, which requires Multifactor Authentication for any agency applications that access personal information. Multifactor Authentication is a security process that requires more than one method to verify the user’s identity. An example would be a password (something you know) and a text message to a registered cell phone (something you have).

Social Security is introducing this multifactor requirement to move proactively forward with securing our electronic services. Prior to July 2016, SSA offered Multifactor Authentication, but only for customers who opted to register for a my Social Security account with extra security. Effective July 30, 2016, each time a customer wants to access his or her account, he or she needs to enter a username and password. Next, a one-time security code will be texted to the registered cell phone number on the account. Once he or she enters the security code and accepts the Terms of Service, the my Social Security home page will display.

If you do not have a text-enabled cell phone or you do not wish to provide your cell phone number, you will not be able to access your my Social Security account. If you need assistance troubleshooting your authentication, we recommend that you speak to one of our representatives to better assist you. Please contact us at our toll free number, 1-800-772-1213. You can speak with a representative from 7a.m. to 7 p.m. on business days. Our phone lines are busiest early in the week and early in the month, so if your business can wait, it’s best to call at other times.

However, if you’re planning to file for benefits, you should call us as soon as possible. You can help us serve you better by having your Social Security number handy when you call. People who are hearing-impaired may call our “TTY” number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on business days. Callers from Alaska, Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands may receive different “live” service hours. However, they will continue to have automated services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:35 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
Quote:
...Nothing of this importance will ever be sent via email!...

No, SSA doesnt have to notify anyone of changes via USPS or email. The notification will come when someone tries to log in to the SSA.gov website. Try logging in tomorrow (August 1) and see what happens.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:48 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Please click on the following SSA link and select the 6th button down, "If You Want Extra Security":

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/verify...tid.html#&a0=5

This is what you will see (highlight is mine):

This feature is OPTIONAL!!! You DO NOT have to participate in this! It is strictly for those who CHOOSE to use it, for "Extra Security". If you DON'T have a cellphone, don't WANT to get one, don't do texting, and are happy with the way you now use the SSA website, NONE of this applies to you!

Incorrect. I'm an SS recipient, and I got the email myself yesterday. The email says that not only must we provide SS with a text enabled cell number, we have to enter a different passcode SS will text to us every time we log into the SS website before we are able to access our account. It is the result of an executive order which now requires multifactor authentication when we communicate with governmental agencies.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:51 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Why do they want your credit card number and why hasn't this been on the news?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement