Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 07:30 PM

123 posts, read 84,385 times

Advertisements

One more thing for which I use my phone : I use the calendar to remind me to take my blood pressure meds every evening. I have the compartmentalized pillbox, but the extra reminder helps; I have gotten sidetracked and not remembered the meds until the next morning before I started setting my reminder on the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 09:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I am sort of surprised that so many of us are not smartphone users. Most of the people I know who are my age do use them.

I take the point about picking and choosing technology, as I certainly have picked and chosen. However, I do feel that mobile computing is something that will only become more ubiquitous than it is now, and to fail to embrace it will have ramifications later. But I also am aware that I am a lousy prophet.

I am not interested in having a programmed house. That seems to be a trend that will continue. I am on the fence about a self driving car. The blind spot indicators on new cars seem to be a really good thing though. I am also on the fence about an Apple watch. I might get one of the fitness wearables a some point though.

But mobile computing is huge, and I don't see it slowing down. Those of us in our late 60s who have not adopted smartphones might wish we had adopted them if we live another ten years. My mom waited too late to learn how to use a computer. If she had started in the late 1980s she might have been able to use one to surf and shop. I think she would have enjoyed it for a few years. That's how I view using smartphones; learn now because in a few years I will be too old to learn.

I don't worry too much about how smartphones are affecting person to person interactions. For me, they enhance my interpersonal interactions. I love posting pics on social media to my family and friends, many of whom live far from me. I enjoy seeing their pics and texts too. And, communicating with my kids via text takes place much easier than if I used email or phoned them direct. I grew up hearing how watching TV was changing our children's lives, me being one of the children involved, and honestly, I don't think my generation was corrupted or degraded by TV watching. And TV allowed so many of us to share milestones, such as the space launches and the walk on the moon. But there were many people who metaphorically wrung their hands over the evils of TV.

I do think that we have the right to choose how we want to use electronic media. And, of course, we have the right to say no to all or part of it. And, we have the right to embrace all of it if we want to.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:11 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am sort of surprised that so many of us are not smartphone users. Most of the people I know who are my age do use them.

I take the point about picking and choosing technology, as I certainly have picked and chosen. However, I do feel that mobile computing is something that will only become more ubiquitous than it is now, and to fail to embrace it will have ramifications later. But I also am aware that I am a lousy prophet.

I am not interested in having a programmed house. That seems to be a trend that will continue. I am on the fence about a self driving car. The blind spot indicators on new cars seem to be a really good thing though. I am also on the fence about an Apple watch. I might get one of the fitness wearables a some point though.

But mobile computing is huge, and I don't see it slowing down. Those of us in our late 60s who have not adopted smartphones might wish we had adopted them if we live another ten years. My mom waited too late to learn how to use a computer. If she had started in the late 1980s she might have been able to use one to surf and shop. I think she would have enjoyed it for a few years. That's how I view using smartphones; learn now because in a few years I will be too old to learn.

I don't worry too much about how smartphones are affecting person to person interactions. For me, they enhance my interpersonal interactions. I love posting pics on social media to my family and friends, many of whom live far from me. I enjoy seeing their pics and texts too. And, communicating with my kids via text takes place much easier than if I used email or phoned them direct. I grew up hearing how watching TV was changing our children's lives, me being one of the children involved, and honestly, I don't think my generation was corrupted or degraded by TV watching. And TV allowed so many of us to share milestones, such as the space launches and the walk on the moon. But there were many people who metaphorically wrung their hands over the evils of TV.

I do think that we have the right to choose how we want to use electronic media. And, of course, we have the right to say no to all or part of it. And, we have the right to embrace all of it if we want to.
When I was 22, I got my iPhone in 2008 with a summer job. Yes, The Weather Channel app was revolutionary then. So was Bloomberg's app (for awhile, the only viable financial app IMO). That's not even counting the simple games it played and other tech I've long since forgotten that I couldn't previously do with my dumb phone.

Bottom line is that out of all my bills, my iPhone would literally would be the last thing I'd give up beyond food, transportation, and utilities. Like Internet, I think mobile voice and data is an essential utility now. It is a job searching tool, a way to manage financial accounts, a GPS, a phone/answering machine, camera, calculator, compass, text communication device, etc.

Like any tool, people have to use it in a sensible manner, but that doesn't mean the tool is intrinsically flawed.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:50 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I keep my grocery list on my notes utility of my iPhone, so yes I will stop and look at it, just like you see others stopping and looking at a piece of paper in their hand.
Well, the difference is for me, even if I am to look at a list or coupons, I am conscious to stand away from or park my cart so as not to block others or an aisle. My point about phone users in general is that many times, they appear to be unaware of others or their environment. (During the shopping trip I referenced, there was certainly more of the "Excuse me" / "that's okay" being uttered).

Old 08-02-2016, 11:38 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Too old to learn? Really now. I took far, far more technically complex courses than how to use a cell phone at the university many years ago. My daughter has a smartphone and I have checked out some of its options. And it does have some neat features.

Here's the thing though. I am cheap. And admittedly so. My flip phone was given to me (else I wouldn't have one), the plan to use it costs $10 a month. If someone gave me a free smartphone and a plan to use it didn't cost me more than I am paying today I'd be very interested. Otherwise, forget it. It isn't compelling enough for me to spend an extra dime on one. Learning whatever is the least of my worries. Spending money for a marginal benefit (to me) is.

The entire concept of communications has certainly been a revolution though. Thats for sure. Whatever the mode you choose to access and use it.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:11 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
It seems to me that a lot of the uses that people attribute to the smartphone are simply internet uses, like banking, Yelp, posting social media photos, etc. A laptop or pad could do the same things with a larger screen/larger type. I am a little confused if people require their phones because they use them as they would a larger computer, or if the phones do stuff that no other device can do for them.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:26 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
If you read up-thread, it is stated that some people's adult children will not usually communicate or initiate a conversation using email or a phone call, and will only mainly communicate by texting their parent(s), thereby using a cellphone or smartphone to text.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-03-2016 at 02:20 AM..

Old 08-03-2016, 03:30 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
It seems to me that a lot of the uses that people attribute to the smartphone are simply internet uses, like banking, Yelp, posting social media photos, etc. A laptop or pad could do the same things with a larger screen/larger type. I am a little confused if people require their phones because they use them as they would a larger computer, or if the phones do stuff that no other device can do for them.
Yes.. it must just be due to convenience, preference and lifestyle, as we have seen here. I think those who like them use them extensively as a portable computer. My lifestyle just doesn't demand it, being happy with the computer, iPad and Cell with home Wifi. Otherwise, the Cell is for long-distance or when out and don't pay for a data plan.

I have an issue with the "smart" (android) phone, since so much is related to Google. My experience was that, though having had a Gmail account for a time which I used to originate the phone with, I found I did not like how Google "operates". I ended up with so much spam mail piled up on the phone and computer (but NOT the iPad, for some reason). I was not really using that account for email, but had signed up with a few sites. You would think it would just be simple settings to resolve it, but persisted no matter what I had tried to do to remove the spam. I cancelled Gmail, knowing I would need to reset the phone (and iPad) altogether, having previously set up with it. I also don't care about apps in general, many which appear integrated with having a Gmail account and only use Google for searches. (I just didn't know fully what I was getting into when switching cell phones, being urged by a relative, also). But if others like it, fine.

To mention:

My Cell service - $100.00 year, approx $8.33 a month.
Hi-Speed Internet - $30.00 mo.
Land line - $2.00 mo. (I have a discount, local dialing and no added features).
Cable & DVR - $72.00...(arghh)

I feel the "bundles" that are pushed may be unnecessary and even if it looks good initially, it will change, so I have separate services. I think many are just used to this or think it is all that is available.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:12 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
When I was 22, I got my iPhone in 2008 with a summer job. Yes, The Weather Channel app was revolutionary then. So was Bloomberg's app (for awhile, the only viable financial app IMO). That's not even counting the simple games it played and other tech I've long since forgotten that I couldn't previously do with my dumb phone.

Bottom line is that out of all my bills, my iPhone would literally would be the last thing I'd give up beyond food, transportation, and utilities. Like Internet, I think mobile voice and data is an essential utility now. It is a job searching tool, a way to manage financial accounts, a GPS, a phone/answering machine, camera, calculator, compass, text communication device, etc.

Like any tool, people have to use it in a sensible manner, but that doesn't mean the tool is intrinsically flawed.
iPhones don't waste time surfing the web and becoming addicted, people do.....

Old 08-03-2016, 06:01 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Well, the difference is for me, even if I am to look at a list or coupons, I am conscious to stand away from or park my cart so as not to block others or an aisle. My point about phone users in general is that many times, they appear to be unaware of others or their environment. (During the shopping trip I referenced, there was certainly more of the "Excuse me" / "that's okay" being uttered).
Anyone can stand on an aisle blocking traffic. Seniors packed together visiting. Happens a lot in my small town.

And couples shopping. One is pushing the cart and the other one is next to them and searching the aisles. Total aisle blockage! I always wonder why couples grocery shop together.

Just examples of things I see in my small town grocery store.

I used to live in the big city 20 years ago and I would never want to grocery shop there again. Totally different experience. Lots of aisle interference and that was before the smart phone explosion.

And honestly, I notice the aisle blockage, but it doesn't bother me, I just turn around and go down another aisle.

Gotta relax and enjoy the golden years. Who knows how much longer we have. Why waste it getting mad at people with cell phones.

BTW, I just spent my vacation with a person that was irritated by everything. I don't want to be like that. She also can't have a bowel movement. Lol. Wonder why!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement