Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 06:01 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

Advertisements

The issue is Luddites vs. Techy people.

I am old (late sixties), but tech savvy.

I don't understand Luddites.

I bought my brother (81) a CD player and CD's for his Bday because he has no internet service, does not know how to text or take pictures on his phone - has no computer and doesn't even know how to email. I can't comprehend.

I also have a man (around 80) who helps me out with a property - again, he can't take a picture and text it to me (does text, though, thank God). I think it has to do with a combination of laziness and fear - fear of what, I could not tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 06:03 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Weird that people would prefer NOT to have GPS directions SPOKEN to you, free - on your phone. Just weird. They probably still have antennas on their TV's, if they even HAVE TV's!

Old 08-04-2018, 06:16 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The issue is Luddites vs. Techy people.
Well... actually it isn't. The Luddites were so against technology that they espoused, and actively engaged in, the physical destruction of new innovations. There's a difference between people who choose (for whatever reason) to personally not use tech, and those who think that new tech is somehow evil and don't want anyone at all to be using it.

Unfortunately the term "Luddite" is often used to refer to people in the first category when in fairness it should only be applied to the second.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:21 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Well... actually it isn't. The Luddites were so against technology that they espoused, and actively engaged in, the physical destruction of new innovations. There's a difference between people who choose (for whatever reason) to personally not use tech, and those who think that new tech is somehow evil and don't want anyone at all to be using it.

Unfortunately the term "Luddite" is often used to refer to people in the first category when in fairness it should only be applied to the second.

True about the original Luddites, but the term has evolved since then. Most people today realize that the Luddites of today are just technology-averse, but not destructive about it.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:24 PM

3,082 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Weird that people would prefer NOT to have GPS directions SPOKEN to you, free - on your phone. Just weird. They probably still have antennas on their TV's, if they even HAVE TV's!
Having a digital antenna is a lot cheaper than supplying comcast, verizonetc with too much money for poor service.
Not much different than cell phones.
People use to rely on themselves instead of their phones. Now people are afraid to take a walk around the block or in the woods or a drive in their car without being attached to a cell phone. Not worth the effort to keep the thing charged.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:31 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I'm 84, my daughter bought me an Iphone a week and a half ago. I was reluctant for a long time because I knew the learning curve would be very high. I was totally right. My desktop never leaves the desk, but the phone is portable, which gives it some justification.

We still have our land line for present, we will see how long we will keep it as we go along.

Some things grow on you. My car has automatic headlights. Last week I rented a car which did not have them and found I was annoyed with it.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:56 PM

409 posts, read 484,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
My adult kids are on them all the time. Being a child of the '60's I cannot relate to the need to be tethered to a piece of electronics 24/7. I do however have a cell phone and keep it ino the car for emergencies. It came in handy a couple of times in NJ in late night winter snowstorms.
This exactly. I have a cheap phone I think I paid $20-ish for and put $10 of minutes on it, which I almost never use. It's primarily for emergencies. I see young and old people with cell phones that they use seemingly non stop. I don't relate at all.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:39 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
In agreement with Lily4 and Lancers. My little Samsung flip phone is an occasional convenience,
e.g., for a friend to call and say he'll be a little late for our lunch date. It's 8 years old, and still works fine
(the battery has been replaced a couple of times).

Old 08-06-2018, 08:06 AM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
I am still working and require an I phone for work. When I retire I will keep it. We got rid of our land line last year.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:23 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
We have I phone 8 pluses. We don’t want to do without them. Besides texting and searching the internet, we can access our security cameras from wherever we travel. We have apps that find rest stops and gas stations. It is handy for finding restaurants and points of interest for sightseeing. We do still have a landline because it was bundled with our cable and internet.

Sometimes texting is better than talking on the phone. For example, yesterday my son and DIL were negotiating a contract to buy a new home. One was on their phone, back and forth with their realtor, who was in contact by computer with the sellers realtor(who was in contact with the seller some way.). We were texting advice,as they asked for it. This was over a span of three hours. All of this in real time, while we were in the comfort of our own home.

Oh, and when searching for our retirement home, my husband was not with me. I texted photos and videos to him. And when we decided which one, I put in our offer, and negotiated, with his input that he texted to me.

I’ve had smart phones for many years, no I could no. Longer do without one.
Completely agreed.

A person on a budget can get a $140 iPhone SE from Walmart and $35/month for 2GB of 4G LTE data. That would likely be sufficient for a casual user. I had an iPhone 6 plus for four years before the second device start failing.

There are tons of things the smart phone is useful for. I would cut out virtually everything else if times got tough before giving up my phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement