Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 02:08 AM

915 posts, read 1,624,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Yes. Just because you have an advanced degree does not mean you are smart.
and conversely, just because you don't set the clock on your car doesn't mean you're dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 03:36 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
and conversely, just because you don't set the clock on your car doesn't mean you're dumb.
I had a friend who had PhDs in Physics and Math and was a Math Professor at a major university. But he could not figure out how to run his VCR or get rid of the blinking "12:00". So I made a couple of house calls and gave him instructions. But he could never remember how to do it. Fortunately, his daughter came home from college and had all Summer to teach him. I hope she was around to get him up to speed when cellphones came along.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:57 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
I have a Cell phone, have had a few, but as others mentioned, also really don't use it, keeping in my purse for when needed and for making long-distance calls. It is a "Smart" one from AT&T and found I don't use all features and just pay the "Go Phone" service once a year. (I have no need to text.. ..yes..I usually don't have instances requiring it).

My land line is preferred with better sound quality and being more comfortable to hold. (I have a great discount on it and no special features, using with a small answering machine - (yes, no kidding). The machine is great, not needing caller ID, call-waiting. I have programmed three phone "extensions" to dial others with one digit and others regularly call me on that phone. I can use Wifi with the Cell at home, but usually am using the iPad. I have always had Mac computers and have an older desktop version, besides. There is always regular e-mailing or conversing on the landline. I am happy with all of it.

Two things - First: When being asked by some if "there is another number to be reached on", I just say no. Doctors, etc., could call home and thinking I am not here, leave a message on the Cell and I won't even know I have a message. (Those who know me know better to leave it on the home machine). I don't like how so much is assumed, now.

The other: I can't tell you how many I saw with phones yesterday while doing errands. Mostly, they are standing looking down, blocking others from aisles, being in the way. One man got my attention from a distance as I overheard him answering his phone and having a loud conversation, while in a checkout line. One kid (20-ish) kept stopping and standing in front of me, all over the store. It's all so important, now...

Old 08-02-2016, 05:24 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I think this depends almost completely on the age and physical condition of the person.

I use a cell phone exclusively. Since I'm now retired and don't know too many people where I live I don't use the phone enough to warrant a land line. But my 90-year-old mother lives with me and she can no longer use a cell phone. Her hearing problem and severe arthritis in her hands mean she cannot use a cell phone and must have a regular-sized telephone with a very loud ringer. She couldn't text even if she knew how. She uses E-mail and can Google info and play solitaire. so she knows the very basics of how to use a computer. But again, she insists she can only use a desktop because she needs a big screen and a traditional, full-sized keyboard.

The additional reason she doesn't need a cell phone is that she never leaves the house unaccompanied. She no longer drives and is a constant fall risk. The last time she left the house alone she fell on the patio and broke her pelvis. So her need for a "mobile" phone is nil. She's always accompanied by someone who has, and can operate, a cell phone.

I'm aware of the recent information that the SSA put out about password protection of online accounts. I know for sure my mother wouldn't understand the communications about that issue. She depends on me or one of her other children to do her taxes and handle her SS information and banking. She doesn't even know (or wish to learn) how to use an ATM even though I offered to teach her back in the days when she was still driving.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:44 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I believe that many seniors own cell phones but they are the flip phone type. That has been my experience when asking my retired patients. More of them have cell phones than not, but they do not have text/internet capability. A significant minority do not have cell phones as well. Almost every senior patient I ask also offers me an alternative landline phone number. They do not get rid of them even if they have a cell phone.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:53 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I have a Cell phone, have had a few, but as others mentioned, also really don't use it, keeping in my purse for when needed and for making long-distance calls. It is a "Smart" one from AT&T and found I don't use all features and just pay the "Go Phone" service once a year. (I have no need to text.. ..yes..I usually don't have instances requiring it).

My land line is preferred with better sound quality and being more comfortable to hold. (I have a great discount on it and no special features, using with a small answering machine - (yes, no kidding). The machine is great, not needing caller ID, call-waiting. I have programmed three phone "extensions" to dial others with one digit and others regularly call me on that phone. I can use Wifi with the Cell at home, but usually am using the iPad. I have always had Mac computers and have an older desktop version, besides. There is always regular e-mailing or conversing on the landline. I am happy with all of it.

Two things - First: When being asked by some if "there is another number to be reached on", I just say no. Doctors, etc., could call home and thinking I am not here, leave a message on the Cell and I won't even know I have a message. (Those who know me know better to leave it on the home machine). I don't like how so much is assumed, now.

The other: I can't tell you how many I saw with phones yesterday while doing errands. Mostly, they are standing looking down, blocking others from aisles, being in the way. One man got my attention from a distance as I overheard him answering his phone and having a loud conversation, while in a checkout line. One kid (20-ish) kept stopping and standing in front of me, all over the store. It's all so important, now...
I keep my grocery list on my notes utility of my iPhone, so yes I will stop and look at it, just like you see others stopping and looking at a piece of paper in their hand.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:59 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I'm 71 and didn't have a cell phone until I was 60. Even then, I didn't want one but my ex wife bought me one and said " Here, you need to come into the 21st century !)

I still only have a simple flip phone because all I do is make and take calls, nothing more. I don't want a phone that is smarter than me, and besides, those smart phones are too big to put in my pocket. My little flip phone works just fine, thank you.

Don

Old 08-02-2016, 07:20 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
As a senior (late 60's)) I'm happy to have the cell phones handy for instant communication anywhere I go, but I guess I put it in the same category as the indoor plumbing you mentioned, I use it when I need to. I'm aware of many of the great things the smart phones can do, and use mine when I want to access something via the phone, but part of my not using it so frequently is that I have a hard time with the small print and images that come up on the phone. So the phone sits in my purse or in the charger most of the time. I do use my tablet and computer extensively, and I have a part time "at home" job as a consultant for a continuing education company, the work is done mostly online.

My husband, on the other hand, who's 70, seems to be one of those folks who has his nose into his cell phone for a lot of his waking hours, he's fascinated that one gadget can do so many things,LOL.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:20 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
My 75 year old Stepmom (to be referred to as Mom here on out) never liked technology. She had a cell phone for a little while then got rid of it. She passed away this January

My 85 year old MIL has an iPhone and uses it a lot. She is so very much into the tech age. Has had a computer forever. Also has a laptop, kindle, cell phone and an iPad. She texts and talks on her cell frequently. She is a very active lady. Still drives, still volunteers at the library, has her genealogy meetings and goes to church every Sunday.

I'm 55 and I do have a cell but use it less than the others in the family. Most of the time, when I go to use it, I find it dead and have to put it on the charger. It gets used the most when I'm away from home. It really was my lifeline when I was out of state and mom was dying and then settling her estate.

I will keep it because it does have its uses. My son is a text'er. My daughter is a caller. I try to check it daily but sometimes life needs living

Old 08-02-2016, 10:19 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I can't say that I'd be lost without my smart phone but it is a wonderful tool. It's also been a lot of fun having it, especially when I want to talk to someone over seas on Facebook's Messenger quietly in the wee hours of the morning.

Us night owls find it hard to interact with one another when we live with people who live in the mainstream daylight world. My smart phone has opened up a whole new avenue of socializing for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement