Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:49 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,211,212 times

Advertisements

The only time I sleep through 8 hours is on the occasion I have had a few extra drinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 06:56 AM

15,217 posts, read 10,291,036 times
For the last few month I have been waking around 6:30 a.m. whether I want to get up that early or night. So natural by 10 p.m. I can't keep my eyes open plus I usually get up at least once during the night to use the bathroom and sometimes I have a hard time going back to sleep. I never wake up feeling refreshed anymore. It happened once in the 90's. :-(

I supposedly have sleep apnea but I tried the annoying CPAP machine for 3 weeks (it takes 21 days to make or break a habit) and I just didn't feel any better. And the machine was annoying on my face so I quit using it.

The good thing about being retired or even semi retired is I can take a short nap on days when I can't stay awake. I actually fell asleep for a few minutes while at the movies with my granddaughter.

I know few people in their 60's or older who say they sleep well except for one friend who goes to bed at 9 p.m. and wakes up at 5 a.m. every single day.

Don't drink anything for a few hours before bedtime and see if that helps. Is it just having to go to the bathroom that is waking you? Maybe your partner is snoring? Loud neighbor? Dog or cat in bed with you? Stuffy nose?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:58 AM

15,217 posts, read 10,291,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Since you are retired you can go to bed when you want and let your body decide when to wake up.
Do you feel tired on waking?
Try and get some physical exertion enough to make you tired.
Alcohol definitely gives sleeps interruptus haha :-)

If you don't feel tired then why worry?
I get less sleep than when younger but it seems natural.
There are some good over the counter sleep aids to try but my spouse thinks he feels woozy from them, they have no aftereffect for me and give 8 hours sleep.

Which ones?

Old 08-02-2016, 07:07 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,752,922 times
A well hydrated person should have to urinate at least once during any 8-hour period.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:08 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,300,854 times
I'm thrilled with two hours straight.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:30 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,568,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I'm thrilled with two hours straight.
That must be hard. It takes 3-4 hours straight to get enough REM sleep as I remember.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:32 AM

11,088 posts, read 9,735,285 times
Once you start taking sleep aids on a regular basis you will find it hard to stop. Unless you really are not able to sleep for some physical/emotional reason, they are for occasional use only. My poor MIL started taking them after the death of her husband, because she was worried and stressed and grieving. Now 10 years later she has had stronger and stronger prescriptions for sleep until now she is prescribed a strong sleeping pill and a strong pain medication to combine and knock her out. If she goes one night without sleep (forgetting to take them, she has dementia) she is loud, angry, upset, etc. She can't go off them now, and it's pretty crazy for an 89 year old to be addicted to that sort of medication. Her insurance won't cover it (they say this med is inappropriate for her age group) so she has to pay out of pocket.

I fall asleep usually within minutes of my head hitting the pillow. Sometimes I sleep straight through, but usually I have to get up to use the bathroom once. Sometimes the cat wakes me up (almost every morning at 4), sometimes hot flashes keep waking me up, sometimes my husband keeps nudging me for snoring, or he'll have a loud dream (talking in sleep, or sudden movements) that wakes me up. It's all good. I'm retired. If I don't get enough sleep I can take a nap. No big deal to me.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:29 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,782,975 times
I feel best with just 6 hours of sleep. I may have slept more when I was a teenager, but for decades 6 hours was the norm.

I'm a very finicky sleeper and have to be totally exhausted to sleep. Unless we're in the movie room watching a movie. It usually puts me to sleep for a good hour.

Those night shifts I did for a year and a half totally screwed me up. There are still nights I'm up until 5 or 6am. It's been a year since I've done them, you would think it would be out of my system by now.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:34 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,049,139 times
When working, I had nights where I could not sleep and always worried I couldn't do my job if no sleep. But now, being retired, it doesn't bother me at all. If I can't sleep, I get up and read. The anxiety of not sleeping is gone.

Usually I sleep very well, if the room temp is good and the mattress and pillow are right. Around 4am or so, I start dreaming of looking for a bathroom. This happens so often that I know what it means !

If I get up to use the bathroom, I can easily go back to sleep. Yes, eight hours is enough, but sometimes I take a nap in the afternoon.

You might want to try melatonin.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,680 posts, read 57,964,398 times
As I aged.... Waking up 'stiff' is an incentive for me to NOT be in one position for over 6 hr.

Since I worked 30 yrs of night shift. Sleep has never been a priority or necessity. I consider that a blessing.

I have to take a mild drug to keep my mind / dreams calm enough to sleep. Usually 1/2 caplet of PM tylenol knocks me out for 5-6 hrs.

I sleep best on airplanes. Last night, from the moment they shut the doors, until touchdown... zZZZzzz. Sleep is a Great use of airtravel time. I doubt I would wake up in a crash, at least not enough to care. Beats most ways to die.

Naps are nice.
I can do 10 min and be good for another 10 hrs of activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement