Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 06:16 PM

241 posts, read 272,643 times

Advertisements

We have three right now and will go to two when we retire fully next July. Will do some upgrades to WI. home and then snowbird between there and FL. We have family that uses both homes when we are not there in the off seasons.

It is added expense for sure and it presents some challenges but we like the flexibility and also have three dogs. The homes are part of the total portfolio (no mortgages) and will come back in cash when we sell one or both eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 01:34 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
A few weeks of renting in the Green Valley AZ area or Palm Springs and I'm good to go for the remainder of our NW winter. I'd thought about the hassles of two homes and decided my money had better places to park than the taxes, insurance, and upkeep, of another home. Also I'm wondering if one could possibly have both homes be equal in amenities, cars, scenery, etc. With the exception of people like sportyandmisty who have a very explicit reason (skiing) to go elsewhere, most want to just escape their hometown weather in winter in order to kick back and relax. There is no shortage of beautiful rentals in the sun belt.

The Pacific NW is a marine climate and has it's gloomy skies to deal with, but shoveling snow, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, extreme temps, are unknown to north westerners. The older we get the logistics of owning two homes will drive the sale of one of those homes and that's another reason for taking a pass on the idea of multiple homes, retirement is a good time to divest oneself from as much hassle as possible. Travel light, and travel often..

Old 08-09-2016, 04:47 PM

241 posts, read 272,643 times
We have ATV's, fishing boat, sled and hobby tools in WI. We will spend prob 9 months there/ I florida we have pleasure boat and nice weather. Perfect for us.

We rent the Florida place a discounted weekly family rate and get enough to pay year long utilities and taxes. So there are ways to mitigate cost................ I transport most firearms back and forth and do will NRA training at both locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement