Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2016, 04:15 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I am an old Kansas boy. Long story short, back in the early to mid 90's I discovered and lived off and on for a few great years, in Hermosa Beach, Ca. I loved, loved, loved it. My address was 2001 Pacific Coast Highway. Just a hop, skip and a jump from Pier avenue and the beach. Featuring the strand with all the beautiful people walking, jogging, biking, blading, skating. Anyway, there is where I would go. Great grocery stores, beautiful people and the climate is like you have died and gone to heaven as long as you stay within a quarter mile of the beach!
Sounds like you don't live there anymore. Something big must have made you move if you loved, loved, loved it so much.

In case I've blundered here...... I have never been to CA. Have lived in central NY most of my life except for my first 4 years in Buffalo, NY and then one crazy year in early 1990s in TX.

Hope you are OK now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 04:35 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,477,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's a common misconception and fools quite a few tourists. North Miami Beach is a city on the mainland that has no beachfront areas. It does not even share one square foot of it's border with the Atlantic Ocean. (At least not any more. There was a time back in the 1930s and 40s I believe when it did have a small footprint on the beach, hence the name.) There is a very small part of the city north of 163rd St. that reaches the western side of the Intercoastal Waterway, but that's as close to the ocean communities that it gets.

A lot of people confuse the City of North Miami Beach with the North Beach neighborhood of the City of Miami Beach. North Beach (as opposed to South Beach) is where my condo is and runs from 63rd Street to 86th St. in the City of Miami Beach.
Heck - I'm not a tourist - but had forgotten. I was pretty much a "south Dade" person who rarely ventured north of downtown (where I worked) when I lived in Dade County. Just like you probably rarely venture south of downtown. I used to live on the beach on Key Biscayne. Enjoyed the beach back then. Now and then. My husband was never a beach person. We live close to the beach now (about 2 miles). But hardly ever go to the beach. The most fun we have now in terms of the beach is going to the JAX Beach pier when a (relatively small) storm is coming in. Watching the surf. And the surfers. 40+ years in Florida enjoying outdoor things (including golf and tennis) tends to take its toll in terms of skin cancer. So we have to be careful in terms of our sun exposure now. And pretty much stick to golf.

The best part about living very near the east coast anywhere in Florida is it tends to be a touch cooler than parts inland during the hot months. Like usually 3-4 degrees. We were at the Town Center in JAX today. About 12 miles inland from us. And it was - like I said - about 3-4 degrees hotter than where we live. Conversely - in the winter (we get some cool temps in the winter here in NE Florida) - it's also warmer here. Especially overnight. Robyn

Old 08-27-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
I agree. Or until you get skin cancer.
Pretty much everyone in my family has lived in Florida since the 60's/70's. And we all have had skin cancers (in various ways/shapes/forms). Can't say we're super careful these days. But we don't toast ourselves on the beach either. Robyn

Old 08-27-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
and where you live has a cool stretch of ethnic restaurants and a nice Publix as well as being convenient to SoBe (to the South) and Surfside and ritzy Bal Harbour to the north.
There isn't a place in Florida where you can't throw a stone and hit a Publix. Or two. Or three .

My brother lives in the more southern part of Miami Beach. And - although he has some stuff within easy distance of his place - some restaurants and supermarkets (he walks or uses Uber - forget about driving and parking) - he's basically a prisoner on South Beach unless he wants to deal with super awful traffic in the metro area. For example - he saves his Costco and similar shopping for when he comes to visit us. Because the drive to his closest Costco - probably the one on Biscayne Blvd. and about 150th Street - is horrific. Especially in season (which is pretty much the only time he's there). In many parts of Florida - especially SE Florida - one has to take the bad ---> awful traffic into account in terms of deciding whether it's a good fit for you.

My brother also has to deal with things like Urban Beach Weekend. Which many residents don't like:

Miami Residents Rally To End “Urban Beach Weekend” | News One

Overall - it's certainly not a place everyone will appreciate. I never liked the area - even when I lived in Dade County. But your mileage and the mileage of others might vary.

BTW - there are certain things in south and parts of central Florida that are (much) more expensive than things in other parts of central Florida and north Florida. Things ranging from insurance. Property - auto - Medigap. To the cost of housing. All factors to be taken into account.

Also - the airport isn't known for being particularly good. And the taxi service is awful. My brother uses Uber now. But only for 2-3 mile rides from where he lives. Not a very good test. Robyn

Old 08-27-2016, 06:30 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,534,932 times
does your brother work or is he retired?....I realize traffic can be awful crossing the causeways, going to and in Brickell, and elsewhere (though I am coming from SoCal where it's at least as bad)....the beauty of SoBe is that it is walkable and one could, if they chose to, get around without a car (the 25 cent local, Uber, SWOOP, etc.)...I would and could choose when I leave the island as I will be working from home most of the time and/or be retired within 1-2 years upon relocating--I get the impression those who live there don't leave there too often, from reading the CD Miami forum and Miami 411 forum....I rented at Yacht Club for the entire month of May in 2014, including during Urban Weekend, and was able to avoid the scene by spending time in SoFi and Sunset Harbour.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:18 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Heck - I'm not a tourist - but had forgotten. I was pretty much a "south Dade" person who rarely ventured north of downtown (where I worked) when I lived in Dade County. Just like you probably rarely venture south of downtown.
LOL, no, that's not accurate at all. I've been a "south Dade" person off-and-on for a good portion of my life. Went to South Miami High, The U, lived in Kendale Lakes after college, and earlier this year bought a SFH south of downtown about a mile and a half from the Rickenbacker Causeway (since you mentioned Key Biscayne). We're also about a mile and a half from Vizcaya and less than a mile north of Bayshore Drive in Coconut Grove. In fact, we spend a great deal of time in Coconut Grove these days, which coincidentally, is where my mother grew up. (She lived on Tigertail ave., went to Shenandoah Middle School, and Miami Sr. High.) Coincidentally, we were there today and went to a movie in CocoWalk. (Saw War Dogs, which was very good, btw.)

Old 08-27-2016, 08:46 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
and where you live has a cool stretch of ethnic restaurants and a nice Publix as well as being convenient to SoBe (to the South) and Surfside and ritzy Bal Harbour to the north.
That is a very nice Publix that we have. It's also nice to be able to walk to the grocery store. (Not to mention drug stores, restaurants, post office, library, movie theater, etc.) Coincidentally, they had their grand opening in 2012 on the very same day that we moved into our condo.

The variety and number of ethnic restaurants there is astounding. It's just one right after another for about a ten-block stretch of Collins Ave. from 65th St. to 75th St. Interestingly, we were down in SoBe in a lounge one day and asked for a restaurant recommendation; the bartender recommended a restaurant a few blocks from our condo in North Beach!

Old 08-28-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
does your brother work or is he retired?....I realize traffic can be awful crossing the causeways, going to and in Brickell, and elsewhere (though I am coming from SoCal where it's at least as bad)....the beauty of SoBe is that it is walkable and one could, if they chose to, get around without a car (the 25 cent local, Uber, SWOOP, etc.)...I would and could choose when I leave the island as I will be working from home most of the time and/or be retired within 1-2 years upon relocating--I get the impression those who live there don't leave there too often, from reading the CD Miami forum and Miami 411 forum....I rented at Yacht Club for the entire month of May in 2014, including during Urban Weekend, and was able to avoid the scene by spending time in SoFi and Sunset Harbour.
My brother is retired. And you're right - he rarely leaves Miami Beach when he's in town. I would find the traffic kind of confining. And did when I lived there. By the time we left the general area - in the mid-90's - it had lots of stuff to do/see. But it was very hard to get from "here" to "there" a lot of the time. Especially on longer trips. Like visiting my parents (who lived in NE Broward County).

Still - as long as you know what you're getting into - well that's the most important thing IMO. When we went to Los Angeles a couple of years ago - well we know the traffic is bad there (although parts of the Miami metro area are as bad or worse at times). So we planned our trip to stay pretty close to our hotel in Beverly Hills. And to use the hotel car/taxis/Uber. My husband is ok with Los Angeles as long as he doesn't have to drive there . Also - it looks like you're planning to rent for at least a while when you move. That's a smart thing to do - and what many of us - including me - recommend when people relocate to a new area. We rented for 6 months here before we decided to buy/build.

FWIW - apart from wanting a single family house - there were other issues that came into play for us. Like we were looking for excellent golf/tennis facilities. And - although there were some in the Miami metro area that were of interest to us - there were "issues" at the time. One in particular was that many of the private clubs discriminated. Against blacks - Hispanics - Jews - etc. So we were pretty much out in the cold. It was much easier to find what we were looking for here in NE Florida.

OTOH - this area has its issues. Our county (St. Johns County) has grown too much in the 20 years we've been here. And it has growing pains now. Like overcrowded schools. We have the #1 school district in the state - and it seems like half of New Jersey is moving here with their kids. Our infrastructure - including roads - is overtaxed. Some of the things I would have liked to see - like better restaurants - have yet to arrive for the most part. Our big mall - the Town Center mall - which was vacant land when we moved here - now looks like Dadeland did 20 years ago on a Saturday. Downtown JAX - which was a dump with some promise 20 years ago - is still a dump today IMO.

Yet the growth has brought some benefits. Like world class medical care. Excellent food shopping (we find that we cook a lot more these days than we used to). There are lots of entertainment options - ranging from the symphony to tons of concerts. And one thing that we found that we needed after we moved here - excellent elder care for our fathers (they both moved here after our mothers died - one from NC - one from SE Florida) - well we found it here. We've been dealing with our fathers since 2002 (first one - then the other). As we get to/past 70+ - I think we're getting near the time when we might need/want something different (maybe not). But won't start thinking about it as long as my (98 year old) father is still around. It is relatively easy dealing with him here. And that certainly wouldn't be the case elsewhere (my brother and I looked for places for him in SE Florida back in 2005/6 - and couldn't find anyplace suitable). Overall - the area has worked out for us. But - considering what you've said about yourself - I don't think it would suit you. Robyn

Old 08-28-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL, no, that's not accurate at all. I've been a "south Dade" person off-and-on for a good portion of my life. Went to South Miami High, The U, lived in Kendale Lakes after college, and earlier this year bought a SFH south of downtown about a mile and a half from the Rickenbacker Causeway (since you mentioned Key Biscayne). We're also about a mile and a half from Vizcaya and less than a mile north of Bayshore Drive in Coconut Grove. In fact, we spend a great deal of time in Coconut Grove these days, which coincidentally, is where my mother grew up. (She lived on Tigertail ave., went to Shenandoah Middle School, and Miami Sr. High.) Coincidentally, we were there today and went to a movie in CocoWalk. (Saw War Dogs, which was very good, btw.)
Then you're relatively close to other places we lived. I first moved to Coconut Grove in 1971. Then my husband and I moved to 25th Road off Brickell Avenue in 1973 after we got married. Then we moved to Key Biscayne in 1975. And then we moved back to Coconut Grove (Grove Isle) in 1985. FWIW - this is the place we lived in on 25th Road:

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...opers-buy.html

It was a nice rental at the time (subsequently turned condo). I can't imagine it being torn down for a 48 story condo! And Grove Isle seems to have its issues now too:

| Miami Herald

There's been a lot of change in the 45 years since I first moved to Miami. And - from the sound of it - you've been in the area on and off for even longer. So you've seen a lot of change too. One of my major complaints after all these years in Florida is areas never seem to learn from planning (or - more properly - lack of planning) mistakes made in other areas. Robyn

Old 08-28-2016, 10:55 AM

249 posts, read 266,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I am an old Kansas boy. Long story short, back in the early to mid 90's I discovered and lived off and on for a few great years, in Hermosa Beach, Ca. I loved, loved, loved it. My address was 2001 Pacific Coast Highway. Just a hop, skip and a jump from Pier avenue and the beach. Featuring the strand with all the beautiful people walking, jogging, biking, blading, skating. Anyway, there is where I would go. Great grocery stores, beautiful people and the climate is like you have died and gone to heaven as long as you stay within a quarter mile of the beach!
I am familiar with Hermosa Beach, I lived in downtown Manhattan Beach for twenty five years and owned rental houses in Hermosa Beach, I rebuilt one rental as a spec build, I'm now rebuilding five rental units as two spec builds. You might be amazed if you haven't visited Hermosa in the last few years, lots of rebuilding!

I loved living at the beach and love Manhattan Beach, it is a beautiful city. That said, I no longer want the beach life. The lots there are small (<3000 sq ft), necessitating a tall three story house, walking to stores is easy, but when driving's necessary, its a hassle and maneuvering the small alleys into the garage got tiresome, not to mention parking's a nightmare if I had more than one guest car. Downtown all houses on walkstreets have open front yards, its fun,but the lack of privacy gets tiresome when people nicely stop to say hello and start a conversation when you don't feel like talking. I thought I might miss the cool beach breeze, but I find we like the warmer weather we have on Palos Verdes Peninsula. The salt air is harsh, but never a deal breaker for me. The South Bay is primarily owner occupied, not many vacant houses. Wonderful place if one wants to be in the heart of the action, there's plenty of good restaurants, stores, medical care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement