Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 10:23 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,602,445 times

Advertisements

Okay guys. I know a lot of you fancy the idea of retiring on a beach front. It's costly so the more we discuss it the better we learn from each other and hopefully arrive at the most suitable decision.

I have broken down the avenues of beach retirement into these 3 :

1) Beachfront House/Townhouse
2) Beach-view Condo (low- to high-rise)
3) Beach Community Property

My research identifies the following as checklist for beach retirement properties :

1) Beach front exclusivity
2) Beach shore exclusivity
3) Beach view
4) Amenities
5) Privacy
6) Foreign ownership

Combining the 2 together :

1) Beachfront House
1.1) Beach front exclusivity - Yes.
1.2) Beach shore exclusivity - No.
1.3) Beach view - Yes.
1.4) Amenities - No.
1.5) Privacy - Yes.
1.6) Foreign ownership - Depends on country
2) Beach-view Condo (3 levels or higher buildings)
2.1) Beach front exclusivity - No.
2.2) Beach shore exclusivity - Yes.
2.3) Beach view - Yes.
2.4) Amenities - Limited to what is inside the building.
2.5) Privacy - No.
2.6) Foreign ownership - Yes
3) Beach Community Property
3.1) Beach front exclusivity - No.
3.2) Beach shore exclusivity - Yes.
3.3) Beach view - No.
3.4) Amenities - Yes
3.5) Privacy - Yes.
3.6) Foreign ownership - Depends on country

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 10:32 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,940,324 times
Our preference is a spacious well appointed condo about a mile or less from the beach. Pick a beach with easy parking and if it is paid parking you will probably have resident parking permits. The cost is much less and you get a lot more for the dollar and don't need to worry about renting it out etc etc.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:40 AM

24,526 posts, read 18,069,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Our preference is a spacious well appointed condo about a mile or less from the beach. Pick a beach with easy parking and if it is paid parking you will probably have resident parking permits. The cost is much less and you get a lot more for the dollar and don't need to worry about renting it out etc etc.
I kind of like living 50 feet above sea level.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:45 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,602,445 times
Here's my narrative :

1) Beachfront House/Townhouse. The ability of exclusivity to your own beach front is the key force for paying for this type of property. The view may not be spectacular unless your house is 2 levels or up but you can go to your beach just by walking to it. The drawback is absence of other amenities.

2) Beach-view Condo (low- to high-rise). There are 2 main forces for paying for this type of property -- 1) any country allows foreigners to buy condominium units and 2) the higher level you are, the better view of the ocean you get, something lot owners don't get. The drawback is privacy as people checks in front of security and there will always be nosy neighbors close to you (not an issue for those that don't have an "active" lifestyle.

3) Beach Community Property. Amenities is the key driving force for paying for this type of property. This is perfect for retirees who want to remain active in sports and other recreations. Each beach community has their own mix of amenities for people to choose from. One example I saw have basketball courts, soccer field, beach volleyball, theater, restaurants, pools, gym, retail outlets and parks. The drawback is don't count on your property to have a view. It's just like any other subdivision but have exclusive access to the beach. Another minor drawback, is depending on your lot, you may need to walk some or even drive a bit to get to the beach.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I kind of like living 50 feet above sea level.
Yup, we are at the highest point on the island above sea level. Avoid the major flooding that happened a few years ago. More protected from storms.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,774,441 times
Having lived in beachfront condos for many years, there are several keys to reading between the lines on real estate ads. Since one is paying for the view, it's important to understand the terms used by realtors.

Waterfront - can be anything from a retention pond, canal or lake, but, not "ocean" or "gulf"

Ocean"view"/Water"View" - Means if you stand on a chair in a back room on a clear day, you might get a glimpse of the water through distant buildings.

Ocean/Water front "Community" - Means one building at the other side of the community (2-5 miles across), borders waterfront land. Another red flag is "on the water", without mentioning "direct-oceanfront view" (This means the building is on the water, but, the unit being sold does NOT have a an ocean/gulf-view)

Direct Oceanfront - (below the 2nd floor) means - Unless someone is trimming the Sea Grapes and Palm trees between the building and ocean, you have a good view of the plants.

Direct Oceanfront - (3rd to 5th floor) means you can generally see the ocean and the beach from inside the unit. (Probably the most desirable).

Direct Oceanfront - (6th floor and above) means you must go outside on the balcony to see anything, but, water. --

Corner units with wrap-around balconies are great ....As long as the building is not within about 50-yards of the adjacent view-blocking building (and the corner extends beyond the building lines of adjacent buildings.

Notes:
Prices tend to increase the higher the floor, but, anything above the sixth floor only provides a view of the water from inside. Anything above the ninth or tenth floor provides only a binocular view of the beach from the balcony. Balcony half-walls are not a problem when one is standing at the wall, but, prevent any view while seated. If possible, look for a condo with clear/glass balcony 'rails' (actual rails (90% of units) obstruct the view with anything, but, counter-height seating).

Last edited by jghorton; 08-07-2016 at 12:32 PM..

Old 08-07-2016, 01:14 PM

6,341 posts, read 7,705,450 times
If I were to stay in California after I retire, I would move into a 55+ mobile home community within the Ventura harbor. Not on the beach, but within a five-minute walk. Wonderful environment, if you don't mind mobile home communities. Complex is well maintained and is also rent controlled. The units are more expensive than elsewhere for obvious reasons.

I believe that there are some beach-front mobile home communities in the Pebble Beach area, but have not investigated them.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-07-2016, 01:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,639 posts, read 57,683,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
If I were to stay in California after I retire, I would move into a 55+ mobile home community within the Ventura harbor. Not on the beach, but within a five-minute walk. Wonderful environment, if you don't mind mobile home communities. Complex is well maintained and is also rent controlled. The units are more expensive than elsewhere for obvious reasons.

I believe that there are some beach-front mobile home communities in the Pebble Beach area, but have not investigated them.
Wisteria, of the previous popular sic; 'women retiring alone" did similar in Santa Cruz, another poster took the MHP idea to her favorite spot, Sedona. (Not beach)

I would want a real beach retirement that I would enjoy and could afford. Prefer Cook Islands, but might end up in Thailand, Malaysia, or Philippines. I had no trouble finding sub $600/ month beach homes while living in Thailand. $10 visits to the hospital were nice too! How about the $4usd / day for great food? And never have to cook! $700 rt airfare will not kill you, that is less than 3 wks USA property taxes for me.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:21 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,035,850 times
Having lived most of my life either on the ocean, ocean view, or walking distance, this is my take.

At night it is dark. You cannot see the ocean. So up to 14 hours a day (depending where you live in the world) that view you are paying a very high premium for, you will not be able to see.

Many times your view from across the street to down the block is just as good as oceanfront.

Salt air. It. Destroys. Everything. You'll have to replace your outdoor grill, kitchen etc every couple of years because salt air corrodes. If you ever want to leave your kitchen door open to the outside, it will corrode your household appliances.

Neighbors. When you live at the beach, there is almost a 100% chance for several months of the year your neighbors will be vacationers. Every week for weeks at a time you will get a new set of neighbors that think it is perfectly acceptable to put 27 people in a three bedroom rental. Can you imagine the trash they generate?

If you can afford it, buy a home a couple of blocks from the beach in a residential neighborhood and build your own pool.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Having lived most of my life either on the ocean, ocean view, or walking distance, this is my take.

At night it is dark. You cannot see the ocean. So up to 14 hours a day (depending where you live in the world) that view you are paying a very high premium for, you will not be able to see.

Many times your view from across the street to down the block is just as good as oceanfront.

Salt air. It. Destroys. Everything. You'll have to replace your outdoor grill, kitchen etc every couple of years because salt air corrodes. If you ever want to leave your kitchen door open to the outside, it will corrode your household appliances.

Neighbors. When you live at the beach, there is almost a 100% chance for several months of the year your neighbors will be vacationers. Every week for weeks at a time you will get a new set of neighbors that think it is perfectly acceptable to put 27 people in a three bedroom rentals. Can you imagine the trash they generate?

If you can afford it, buy a home a couple of blocks from the beach in a residential neighborhood and build your own pool.
A lot of yups and Bada Bings in this post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement