Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 03:51 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Word soda meaning soft drink. Seem odd to me. I think it's a northern term.
I used to marvel at my cousins in Minnesota who would call Coca-Cola "pop." But the way they'd say it, it would sound like "pap."

"Would you like a pap?"

A WHAT??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 04:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Gee! Haven't heard the word "folks" in donkey's years.

Heaven forbid, anyone should mistake me, at the age of 70, for "old."

Old 08-08-2016, 04:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Word soda meaning soft drink. Seem odd to me. I think it's a northern term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I used to marvel at my cousins in Minnesota who would call Coca-Cola "pop." But the way they'd say it, it would sound like "pap."

"Would you like a pap?"

A WHAT??
Depends upon what part of the country you are from. Easterners call it soda, in the Midwest it's pop. Or so I've been told.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:09 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Yup, it's pop here in Minnesota.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:24 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
I dislike euphemisms and I dislike it when a standard, perfectly good word or phrase has been displaced by a new word or phrase without any change in the meaning. A good example of that is "developmentally disabled" for "mentally retarded". I refuse to use the former and if that marks me as old-fashioned, so be it.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:34 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times
If someone's life experience is so limited that he/she would be baffled by the use of the word "folks," it is unlikely that anything else an educated person rich in experience would say on any topic using even the simplest vocabulary would be any more comprehensible to the pitifully limited interlocutor. Therefore, any attempt at communication with the sadly limited and socially crippled individual would be futile. If a person has been so sheltered that the use of the word "folks" upsets him/her, it is likely that conversation with an actual functioning member of the human race would induce all sorts of "triggers," and the poor, limited, baffled soul would flee to some "safe space" and later go to an authority figure and demand that the evil person who used unfamiliar words be chastised and punished for committing a "microaggression," which is apparently anything that does not conform to the existing world view and experience of the poor, baffled, limited members of our population. It's just not worth the risk trying to talk to someone like that.

in any event, if someone is too stupid to understand "folks," then I don't want to talk to him/her anyway. And I really, really do not care what his/her opinion of me might be.

It must be awful to be someone like that poor, limited, baffled creature, terrified of hearing an unfamiliar word or being exposed to a new ides. It could lead to (gasp) learning something.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:43 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post

in any event, if someone is too stupid to understand "folks," then I don't want to talk to him/her anyway. And I really, really do not care what his/her opinion of me might be.

It must be awful to be someone like that poor, limited, baffled creature, terrified of hearing an unfamiliar word or being exposed to a new ides. It could lead to (gasp) learning something.
I'm not talking about someone like that poor, limited, baffled creature, terrified of hearing an unfamiliar word or being exposed to a new idea.

I'm talking about a young man unfamiliar with the word "folks" being used in context with his parents.

Last edited by Corvette Ministries; 08-08-2016 at 04:53 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 04:56 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about someone like that poor, limited, baffled creature, terrified of hearing an unfamiliar word or being exposed to a new ideas.

I'm talking about a young man unfamiliar with the word "folks" being used in context with his parents.
If he is a native English speaker with normal mental faculties who has never been exposed to the word "folks" and cannot determine the meaning from the context of the conversation, then that young man is a poor, baffled, limited creature who ought not to be out without constant adult supervision. And if that young man does experience a mysterious word such as "folks" in conversation that he cannot understand from context and lacks the social skills to respond politely to ask what the meaning is (and to be grateful for the exposure to something new), then he ought not to be out at all.

I refuse to reduce my vocabulary to grunts and textspeak to accommodate someone else's intellectual laziness. Part of being an adult is learning how to handle the unexpected gracefully. Encountering an unfamiliar word is an opportunity to learn, not an excuse for dismissing the person using the word as old and useless.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:57 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,639,614 times
I'm 42 and I still say folks and occasionally I'll refer to dinner (my evening meal) as "supper," simply because I like the sounds of it. When we moved from Chicago to Glendale, CA, I started calling soft drinks "soda" instead of "pop". Now, that I am in Washington, I've noticed that a lot of natives says "pop." Oh well, I've been saying "soda pop," to cover all bases.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:11 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Was it an audience of retirees?
Ha! The email was sent to practicing attorneys. I'm the oldest at 64 and I believe the youngest is 34. The legal director also uses the word "folks". It's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement