Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 05:52 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

I had a heart attack years ago, and the Dr ordered me to get more exercise. I bought a Sears treadmill, not a fancy one but not a basic one either, and it was terrific. I would put on my earphones, crank up the rock and roll, and do an hour on it every night. I got in such good shape that when I went in for a stress test each 6 months, and they put me on their treadmill, they couldn't get my heart rate up high enough to stop the test. They were amazed how long I was able to run on it without getting winded.

I liked the treadmill vs walking outdoors for a lot of reasons. Didn't have to go out in the hot Florida heat and humidity, no bugs or neighborhood dogs running after you, no traffic to worry about, and if it was raining I could still get exercise.

I only got rid of it when we divorced because I had nowhere to put it in my new place. But it was great to have and did me a lot of good.

Don

Last edited by don1945; 08-11-2016 at 06:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 05:54 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I can't believe most of these posts. OP wants suggestions on what type of treadmill to get, and instead of answering the question, you're telling him her:
1. Don't get one at all.
2. Get a dog.
3. Get a rower.
4. Get a stationary bike.
5. Walk outside.
6. Get a gym membership instead.
7. You stopped using yours, so OP will probably stop using anyone he/she buys

So OP, in direct response to your question, I have a treadmill at home and love it. It is my second home treadmill. My first one was too big for my new smaller house, so I replaced it with my current model. I have run at home for about 6 years. I ma not a good or fast runner. I just do it for exercise. I like doing it indoors. Despite what some say, it is not always practical to go outside for walks. It's too hot here to be comfortable much of the year.

I don't recall what brand it is, but I purchase all my gym equipment used on Craigslist. You can save a bundle doing that. I bought this one that way. I paid $250 for the treadmill and the seller threw in a brand new Total Gym for free. I then sold the Total Gym for $125 so the treadmill was much cheaper than even the poorest quality new treadmill. This model was around $1200 new. People on CL sell gym equipment they haven't used much a lot, and if you go the used route and don't use it, you're not out so much money. Check the postings on your area and compare whatever brand the seller is advertising with the gestures and MSRP. That way you can choose the highest quality treadmill for the best price.

One thing that's important to remember when buying any treadmill: the belt needs lubricated periodically. It's easy to do. You can buy lube on ebay or an exercise store and do it yourself. It needs it every three months or so. If you don't, the belt starts to wear against the metal and can eventually lock up. It insures a smoother walk / run, just like getting an oil change on your car. I hope that helped!

Old 08-11-2016, 07:27 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Start walking outside. The treadmill is nothing more than a clotheshanger.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:10 AM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Start walking outside. The treadmill is nothing more than a clotheshanger.
For you, maybe.

Why do some people assume everyone is like them?

OP, I would recommend either a Cybex (which is expensive but rugged) or Precor. Both manufacturers have models with handrails.

The great outdoors doesn't have handrails. And nobody ever expects their first fall.

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 08-11-2016 at 08:34 AM..

Old 08-11-2016, 08:30 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I wouldn't say a treadmill is a bad thing to get. In my original post I mentioned other activities that would also provide a benefit to someone wanting to lose weight.

The reason most people here in this forum are going to say that a treadmill becomes a place to hang clothes or other items is because for most people that is what it becomes. It becomes the same thing when someone joins a gym. They are motivated to make a change, they get a gym membership, buy a treadmill or some other item, and then have no follow thru.

If you are motivated to buy a treadmill then first try basic things that will also help. Learn to stretch. You would want to do this before you jump on a treadmill anyway. Get a stretching routine in place first. Learn some basic exercises that you can do at home. Buy a jump rope and use that. These are basic things that anyone can do without the cost of buying a treadmill. Change your diet. This is a great way to save money. Reduce what enters into the body.

After you have established yourself as someone that will take the time to stretch and do some basic exercises then by all means, if you want one, buy a treadmill. Join a gym. Do anything else that will help in the process. My thoughts are only toward the majority that will not use a treadmill past the time they get it setup. First before you spend money is to start small and go from there.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:36 AM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
After you have established yourself as someone that will take the time to stretch and do some basic exercises then by all means, if you want one, buy a treadmill. Join a gym. Do anything else that will help in the process. My thoughts are only toward the majority that will not use a treadmill past the time they get it setup. First before you spend money is to start small and go from there.
Wow. Just....wow.

Condescending, paternalistic, judgmental...it never ends.

Why do you care what someone else does with their purchase?

Old 08-11-2016, 10:28 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
My preference is walking/jogging outside but during the summer (in TX it's often too hot to walk outside even early in the AM), I use Leslie Sansone walk videos. She paces the workouts for you, including warm-ups and cool-downs, and varies the movements so you work more muscle groups.
I put the videos on mute and listen to audiobooks while following her movements.

I tried a treadmill years ago and personally found it very boring. YMMV.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:28 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
As a daily walker for years, I can tell you that there is probably nothing better for your health. There is something about walking that benefits the body generally in different ways. Lower bp, lower cholesterol, lower heartrate, etc.

BUT walking doesn't help much in losing weight. Gaining muscle does. Every little bit of muscle you add, it increases your metabolism, which uses a few more calories 24X7.

It costs nothing to exercise. Yoga, aerobics, floor exercises. If you stream, there are free fitness channels on Roku. Some cable companies carry the Fitness channel. Then there are DVDs for yoga or any type of exercise (you can get them used....check Amazon).

Another poster suggested a rowing machine. I've read that's one of the best (& most difficult) whole body exercises to do. I'd get that before a walking machine, if I thought I could do it (I don't think I could...it's really hard).

Stats show that most people who get exercise equipment don't use it. SO THERE'S A LOT OF GOOD USED EXERCISE EQUIPMENT. Get a used really good treadmill machine at a used ex. equipment store.

The Total Gym is good as a modified pilates machine. It works on cardio, as well as minor muscle increase (good, if you're not in good shape). It's also good for those with back trouble or trouble with various joints.

Get yourself a couple of nice workout outfits, turn on a Fitness channel, and start going to town doing Yoga or pilates or aerobics. It's fun! It's low cost! It doesn't take up space in your home! Then walk outside every other day (carry your pepper spray). It's fun! It's free! It doesn't take up space in your home!

Old 08-11-2016, 01:01 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

Another poster suggested a rowing machine. I've read that's one of the best (& most difficult) whole body exercises to do. I'd get that before a walking machine, if I thought I could do it (I don't think I could...it's really hard).
bpollen,

Yes, a rowing machine is a great whole body exercise BUT it is NOT difficult to use. If anything, it is easier and gentler to your joints than many other exercise machines since it relies mainly on your legs, the strongest muscle of your body.

What Does a Rowing Machine Do For Your Body?

I'd strongly suggest trying a good rowing machine like the Concept 2 and to have an instructor or knowledgeable rower to show you how to use it.

You can start with the rowing machine set at lowest resistance setting. One you learn the proper body position and sequence of motion, you can increase the resistance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcaUkUmUU_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hGNM4l5so

A new Concept 2 is pricey but you get one for few hundreds dollars

http://therxreview.com/how-to-buy-a-...rower-for-250/

If there is a rowing club nearby your home, I'd highly recommend taking an introductory lesson. Actual rowing on the water has multiple benefits: exercise, fresh air, nature, scenery, social interaction, camaraderie, volunteering activities etc.

In our recreational rowing club, we have people of all ages (at least half a dozen are over 70s, quite a few 80's learn-to-rowers), physical shapes and conditions. There are also rowing clubs offering adaptive rowing for people with physical disability.

Benefits of Rowing Machine - Rowing is the Most Efficient Exercise

Old 08-11-2016, 01:07 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Wow. Just....wow.

Condescending, paternalistic, judgmental...it never ends.

Why do you care what someone else does with their purchase?
I don't really care what anyone does with their money. Advice was asked I offered mine. It is up to the OP to make a decision for themselves. No one has to take any advice offered. My advice is realistic to what others have found. Most people will spend their hard earned money on a device that will just sit there. In the end it will end up as a item in a yard sale.

For someone that wants to make the move toward better health what I am saying is start off doing something that you can do now without spending any money.

In one of your post, you are suggesting that the op spend money on a treadmill. You offer suggestions on what kind to get. My point is what if the op spends all that money and like many here in this thread are saying, the treadmill becomes a nice coat rack. Then what? All I am suggesting is to start with a basic plan and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement