Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 04:38 PM

155 posts, read 156,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Well, it's a tricky question. If you say some inflated figure, they might think they can hit you up for a loan sometime, (and probably without the intention of ever paying it back, even though they say they will). If you give a ridiculously low figure, they'll think you are destitute, crazy, or something else.

When asked, (rarely), I say, "I don't have as much as I should or could have had, but I have enough. I won't have a lavish retirement, but it will probably be a comfortable one. I'll be 'all right'".

Dead on -- you've nailed the loan thing, and these people already have a history of that sort of thing. Not too worried though.

My plan at the moment is to play it just as you suggest. "We can do it, but just barely." And, that's not even [much of] a lie, but like anything in finance, it's how you approach it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 04:39 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
I just tell them how much SS pays. That's a public number.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:40 PM

165 posts, read 174,695 times
I agree it's a rude question, and I would deflect it.

I'd say that the trick is to figure out what you need to live, then figure out whether what you already have and what you'll be receiving will cover that.

If it will, you're good. If it won't, keep working.

It's not rocket surgery.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:44 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
I have coworkers who tell me they will work until their dying day.

I've been upfront that life is too short - and I knew I simply HAD to have a part of my life NOT working because I've worked since I was 15.

Some people never figure out how to save. Or live below their means.

Sad - but not my problem.

No one ever asks "how much" and I would never be able to save the amount of money they waste in their lives.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:45 PM

22,844 posts, read 6,437,040 times
How about "enough"? They can decide how much "enough" is......

Old 08-11-2016, 04:52 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
I'm 61 and just say "enough to be comfortable".

Old 08-11-2016, 05:53 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanka01 View Post
Just retired here at age 60, and I've run into a few friends (in-laws and work acquaintances) who are a little insistent on information about how it's done. In general, these are well-meaning folks my age or older with a long history of bad financial decisions. Their first question is usually: "How much money do you HAVE?" I hate that question for a lot of reasons.

Just wondering if anyone has a good way of dealing with some of the post-retirement questions along these lines. I have no desire to offend anyone, but at the same time it seems prudent to avoid the more pointed questions.

Any interesting ways of handling this semi-delicate situation?

TIA.
I've never been asked how much money I have. But I've been asked, sort of, how I managed to retire a little early.

I tell them that I was just a workin' gal, that I worked a lot of overtime, lived frugally, never went anywhere on vacations, and saved....and that I didn't retire wealthy, by any means. I then tell them that I don't advise that anyone else do that, because it requires a lot of sacrifice and means that my life before retirement was one-sided and not as joyful as I would have liked it to be. But I did what was necessary, which was sometimes unpleasant.

I try not to be critical about others' lifestyles and choices, when answering questions about it. Some people would prefer a European vacation occasionally, instead of retiring a little early. I didn't feel I had a choice.

(But it's true that some people I knew never cared to save for their senior years, which amazed me. They'd buy expensive things, go on expensive vacations, eat out all the time, etc. So...for me, all that money went into my retirement accounts. I wish I'd made enough money so that I could save AND spend more money on fun things, but I didn't.)

Old 08-11-2016, 06:25 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,597,880 times
The correct question is not how much money I have, but how much money my wife will let me spend. I figured the difference in income to me was not much either way...so I retired.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:34 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
You all are so polite. If someone persists after you just say, "It's enough to get by", you can snap suddenly with, "None of your business."

What a rude question!

Old 08-11-2016, 07:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I wouldn't tell them the amount, just that I have a pension, SS, 401K and a few other investments The actual amount is none of their business, and I wouldn't want them to be tempted to ask for a loan. BTW, $5,000/month retirem not income becomes a million if one manages to live just under 17 years after retiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement