Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 10:04 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times

Advertisements

I loved where I worked and didn't really want to retire so early, and like you, I worked a lot of doubles on the night shift. It was killing me, and a no brainer to just quit when it felt right.

At the time I was both excited and depressed about it. I was really good at being a workaholic and I was concerned that going "cold Turkey" would have an adverse affect on my well being. I have to admit that a few times during this last year of my retirement that urge to make money did rear it's ugly head. It only lasted a few minutes then it's on to another project or fun time.

I actually watched a spectacular sunset this week that had dozens of dragonflies darting to and fro. I had the luxury of time to stand there and enjoy every glorious moment of it. Something I would have totally missed had I been absorbed in the misery of seeing nothing but pay checks.

I never really had to put on my game face. I'm a very happy person by nature. I'm also an extrovert and seeing my coworkers always put a smile on my face. I do miss the social interactions and my universe did shrink a lot this last year.

There are pros and cons about being retired, but so far the pros out weigh the cons. I'm far more peaceful then I was living the non stop lifestyle of working working working. Would I go back. Ah no.

I'm totally spoiled now and having total freedom is intoxicating. That and the endorphin rush I get on my late night bike rides are my new drug of choice. Those big paychecks were just an empty rush that went into a never full place. They were fleeting and the next fix was too far between. That endorphin rush lasts far longer, and so do the effects of being physically active in a fun way.

Stopping and smelling the roses had been only an empty expression in that hectic universe with fleeting moments of joy. I now totally understand the true meaning of that expression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 10:46 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I loved where I worked and didn't really want to retire so early, and like you, I worked a lot of doubles on the night shift. It was killing me, and a no brainer to just quit when it felt right.

At the time I was both excited and depressed about it. I was really good at being a workaholic and I was concerned that going "cold Turkey" would have an adverse affect on my well being. I have to admit that a few times during this last year of my retirement that urge to make money did rear it's ugly head. It only lasted a few minutes then it's on to another project or fun time.

I actually watched a spectacular sunset this week that had dozens of dragonflies darting to and fro. I had the luxury of time to stand there and enjoy every glorious moment of it. Something I would have totally missed had I been absorbed in the misery of seeing nothing but pay checks.

I never really had to put on my game face. I'm a very happy person by nature. I'm also an extrovert and seeing my coworkers always put a smile on my face. I do miss the social interactions and my universe did shrink a lot this last year.

There are pros and cons about being retired, but so far the pros out weigh the cons. I'm far more peaceful then I was living the non stop lifestyle of working working working. Would I go back. Ah no.

I'm totally spoiled now and having total freedom is intoxicating. That and the endorphin rush I get on my late night bike rides are my new drug of choice. Those big paychecks were just an empty rush that went into a never full place. They were fleeting and the next fix was too far between. That endorphin rush lasts far longer, and so do the effects of being physically active in a fun way.

Stopping and smelling the roses had been only an empty expression in that hectic universe with fleeting moments of joy. I now totally understand the true meaning of that expression.
Nice..

This is exactly why I want to retire early....

Old 08-16-2016, 12:49 PM

679 posts, read 812,192 times
I try to always have my game face on when working and even out in public.
Not until i get home or go on vacation do I relax that posture.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:44 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
With 13 months to go in order to substantially increase my pension, I'm getting a bad case of senior-itis. I try to stay focused and motivated and productive at work but am not planning on volunteering for any complex or long term projects after my current ones are finished. I also plan to use all ten weeks of accumulated vacation leave in the next year to make the time go faster rather than to cash it out at the end. Since I work for the government, there is no fear of being laid off (and no chance of a nice severance package) and everybody knows I'm leaving. Although I'm not on board with many of my new management's initiatives, I try to at least appear supportive and appease them although I feel very detached from the office politics and have a do not care attitude. Interacting with my favorite co-workers and customers has been more enjoyable as each team project that I work on with them may be my last. With so many of us feds less than five years away from retirement, our discussions are often about retirement.

Most of my work involves sitting in a cubicle reviewing documents and writing reports with occasional meetings and travel. In the past, I tended to dress up more than the guys but I have become a little lax about my appearance wearing more jeans and yoga pants. Except for meetings and travel, I've started to wash my hair every other day using dry shampoo in between washings. It saves a lot of time getting ready in the morning and is better for my dry hair. I rarely wear makeup - just tinted sunscreen.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:08 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
With 13 months to go in order to substantially increase my pension, I'm getting a bad case of senior-itis. I try to stay focused and motivated and productive at work but am not planning on volunteering for any complex or long term projects after my current ones are finished. I also plan to use all ten weeks of accumulated vacation leave in the next year to make the time go faster rather than to cash it out at the end. Since I work for the government, there is no fear of being laid off (and no chance of a nice severance package) and everybody knows I'm leaving. Although I'm not on board with many of my new management's initiatives, I try to at least appear supportive and appease them although I feel very detached from the office politics and have a do not care attitude. Interacting with my favorite co-workers and customers has been more enjoyable as each team project that I work on with them may be my last. With so many of us feds less than five years away from retirement, our discussions are often about retirement.

Most of my work involves sitting in a cubicle reviewing documents and writing reports with occasional meetings and travel. In the past, I tended to dress up more than the guys but I have become a little lax about my appearance wearing more jeans and yoga pants. Except for meetings and travel, I've started to wash my hair every other day using dry shampoo in between washings. It saves a lot of time getting ready in the morning and is better for my dry hair. I rarely wear makeup - just tinted sunscreen.

Re: "senior-itis". I think that's called "short timers disease". lol

Old 08-16-2016, 02:49 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I realize, in addition to all the reasons to look forward to retirement, that I really look forward to not "putting on my game face" every night (or day or whatever your work calls for). I especially often go into my night shift in a bad mood, having just woken up, and everyone that is headed home is sort of revved and wide awake and noisy, and just answering that question "How are you" is annoying. (I come alive around two or three in the morning, but still need my game face because I'm at work and I'd rather not be. This has been lifelong, but as I see an end in sight, even more so).

So for those who are retired, how does it feel not to need a game face every day or whenever? To have whatever moods or say whatever you want or not say anything every day? Do you notice a difference in your demeanor when you can do/feel whatever you want?
I don't do that - in fact, just the opposite. My most frequent companion now is my DH, and now that we spend so much time together I make it my business to be pleasant to be around. More even than I ever did for my co-workers since DH is worth more to me than they were. But then, I (mostly) always liked the work I did so I rarely needed a "game face". So it doesn't seem like an onerous burden to me.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:23 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
I never really had to put on any "game face" because my boss's nickname for me was the slang word for "poop". Every time I walked in his door he'd say "Poop, NOW what?" That's because my job entailed only having to consult with him if there was a problem that would affect the command and/or the Admiral. It got to be a joke between us after a while and actually an affectionate term. Now the only place I have to put on a game face is the local Wal Mart, because all my neighbors go there and I don't want to look grumpy when I see them.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:53 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I never really had to put on any "game face" because my boss's nickname for me was the slang word for "poop". Every time I walked in his door he'd say "Poop, NOW what?" That's because my job entailed only having to consult with him if there was a problem that would affect the command and/or the Admiral. It got to be a joke between us after a while and actually an affectionate term. Now the only place I have to put on a game face is the local Wal Mart, because all my neighbors go there and I don't want to look grumpy when I see them.
There was a time when I noticed my mum was being just ... really friendly. Waving a 'hi' to everyone we saw. I commented on it, and she said, "Actually, I don't see well enough to know who that was. If it was one of my friends, they'd be offended if I didn't wave. And if it wasn't, then I'm just that funny old lady who waves to everyone."

Old 08-17-2016, 07:47 AM

88,579 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I realize, in addition to all the reasons to look forward to retirement, that I really look forward to not "putting on my game face" every night (or day or whatever your work calls for). I especially often go into my night shift in a bad mood, having just woken up, and everyone that is headed home is sort of revved and wide awake and noisy, and just answering that question "How are you" is annoying. (I come alive around two or three in the morning, but still need my game face because I'm at work and I'd rather not be. This has been lifelong, but as I see an end in sight, even more so).

So for those who are retired, how does it feel not to need a game face every day or whenever? To have whatever moods or say whatever you want or not say anything every day? Do you notice a difference in your demeanor when you can do/feel whatever you want?
I was just my usual cranky-ass self. Lol, tried not to be, but after 37 years of commuting to NYC, I was not always able to keep the filter in place. I would find myself mumbling, "GTF outta my way", not loud enough for anyone to hear, but still verbally, and "WTF are YOU looking at?" when I saw someone staring at my height or looking at my feet to see if I was wearing high heels. Men do that a lot, then gape back up when they see the sneakers. Being looked at like a freak got old decades ago, but I used to be able to ignore it better.

And I was really starting not to care if anyone heard me or not. Becoming the demented crazed older commuter was part of what made me know it was time to go.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You reminded me of my last job. I was often the liaison between certain high-level people in our unit and the people just under them. I was congenial and well-liked, but unfortunately I was often the messenger who brought bad tidings and was detailed to try and straightened out things.

My office door was always open, in part because it was a small office.

If I asked someone to come in to "...see me for a minute," and then said, "Oh....close the door, will you."

The response was frequently, "Oh poop! Please, it's not an 'Oh, close the door thing,' is it?"

I too felt that Poop had become my nickname.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement