Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 12:57 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

What do men do all day that is different from women that makes their day enjoyable, relaxing, exciting?
Do you spend a more time alone or with your spouse?
What kinds of activities do you do alone and what kind with your spouse?

My husband and I enjoy reading the paper in the morning, discussing politics, having coffee for the major part of the morning. After that he vanishes into his room, does something with the computer, and pretty much that is what he does most of the day. He goes out to the gym daily around 4 or 5, i cook, we have dinner together, he cleans up. we may or may not watch TV together because he is a news junkie, me not so much.

I clean up house, putter around the yard, gym in the morning or walk in the evening; do some work on the PC - like City_Data!, fibance stuff, read, go birding. we both go birding with a bird club but often i go alone on my own as well.

we attend meetings related to our hobbies, volunteering etc. we go out with friends occasionally, a movie, dinner.

Sometimes I wonder what I will do if he passes before me. Or he if I do.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:10 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
I doubt gender makes much, if any, difference in how people spend their day. I'd think it depends much more on how what any individual finds pleasant and rewarding.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:14 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Sometimes I wonder what I will do if he passes before me. Or he if I do.[/quote]

I wonder the same as we age. She has not driven a car for a few years now. We go to the stores together. We have his and hers computers, but she expects me to know everything about them, good luck. Sometimes we agree on what to watch on TV, just as commonly we don't.

I read a local weekly paper online, but there is no print paper that we will bother with. Too much political propaganda, too little real news.

We usually disagree on the thermostat setting, she's hot, I'm cold.

We each have activities outside the home that we go to, some together, others separately.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:26 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
I am not sure if I am typical or not. I like to do things and I have friends with the same outlook. My wife is way more social. She is more attracted to crowds, events and spectator activities.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:42 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I doubt gender makes much, if any, difference in how people spend their day. I'd think it depends much more on how what any individual finds pleasant and rewarding.
I think women generally are more social. There more women than men in the senior center I go to and many women do say their husbands don't want to come. Neither is mine is interested. Nor is he much into volunteering though I see more men among my volunteer activities.
We both do many things separately , more independently than other couples we know. We rarely shop together, for instance.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:48 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I think women generally are more social.
Possibly but even so, not true in many cases. Not sure what point you're trying to make?

Old 08-21-2016, 01:15 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Gender difference in how people their day.

This sentence no verb?

I hit the ground running. He fights morning like it's trying to kill him.

"Sometimes I wonder what I will do if he passes before me. Or he if I do."

Looked at objectively, I'm a goner. Too many medical issues. Who-goes-first is a contest no one wins.

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 08-21-2016 at 01:24 AM..

Old 08-21-2016, 02:45 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Not a whole lot. We both couch potatoes and hermit like. He runs for exercise and I garden. We enjoy many activities together. Retirement is just perfect. When we feel like we need more social interaction with people, we travel. It's good for our brains, otherwise it's too quiet.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:27 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
I like quiet. I'm a writer and I like to hear my own thoughts. I could sit and watch the grass grow and be content. My husband is a talker. He never shuts up. He even reads the news out loud even when I tell him, "I already read that. " he plays golf a couple of times a week with his buddies which allows him to let off some air and it gives me 'me time'. We're both into electronics with me being the IT person and his specialty being the TV. We have two great rooms, the one in the lower level is where he goes to watch golf and some other sports. We both enjoy watching dramas and HBO/SHO, Netflix together. We both love walking long distances together and dining out. As far as 'women being more social'... nope. Not in this house. It's usually husband who gets the idea to invite people over.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:18 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
My husband passed away a few years ago. I miss 'him' but even more I miss the times of the day when we would talk - by phone if we were away from each other, in person if we were both home. He was my sounding board, and I was his. We bounced thoughts and ideas around between us as though they were ping pong balls. I like quiet too but not having a confidante, someone you know well, to talk to/with gets old after a while. The most stimulating conversation I have these days seems to be about the weather with a virtual stranger in the grocery parking lot - or online, but that is not in person and immediately reciprocal.

I also miss being able to ask him to give me a hand with chores like lifting something. Now, if something cannot be lifted by one (even if I think smart about how to do it), it will never move - ever - unless I pay someone to come and help. All for something that might have been a few second job years ago when there were two of us.

And there is no one to cuddle with, hug or get hugged by, and to call to ... 'hey babe' .. 'sweetheart, could you please' .. etc. One misses human touch and terms of endearment.

Otherwise I was always pretty independent, as was he. We often spent our days (sometimes weeks) doing our own things alone. I can cope fine with most practical things in life without him. I can drive (and do). I can handle financial things by myself. I have a garage full of tools (actually they were always mine) and I can repair and build things (though I am finding the 'planning' aspect more fun than the 'doing' part lately I must say).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement