Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:50 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times

Advertisements

DH & I continue our search for a 55+ community to test out. So far our favorite, based on location, is Sun City Summerlin. We like the proximity to the Las Vegas Strip for the entertainment value. We love the home prices. We love that its finished out. But, it seems just a bit dated compared to other communities. So, we are still looking around. However, it looks like SCS will be our choice.

Next step is to lease a house and live there before we buy something. Has anyone on this forum ever rented in this situation and then decided NOT to stay because you did not like it? Has anyone ever bought in a 55+ community and then moved within a few years? If so, please share your experience...

I'd prefer to simply buy a house and not have to move twice. I wonder if we are being overly cautious by renting for a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 11:05 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
I agree with renting for a year. Las Vegas is the type of place where you either love it or you hate it. My employer has an office there and I enjoy visiting but not sure I would want to live there even though I've spent some time outside the strip and like Summerlin and the Red Rock area. Also your previous posts stated that you were looking for a place near the water and there is not much of that although there is always Lake Mead. So I don't think you are being overly cautious.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:59 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
No experience but I would lease for a year. Keep looking around. Bet you move to a different community, You seem to think of it as a vacation place. After a year you may find you are ready to move on.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:07 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Yes, I inherited a place; going on three years full-time and thinking of moving. A couple things about 55+ communities:

Many built in the condo boom of the 80s/90s are now at the age where the buildings, roofs, infrastructure are needing to be replaced, and many times there isn't enough money in reserves. Therefore, you get hit with a special assessment that can be in the thousands. So check that thoroughly if you do buy.

Be prepared for everyone to be all up in your business. My neighbor's son was visiting for the weekend and parked his van in front of my unit; someone thought I had a boyfriend. Another neighbor asked me where I went every night (I was there but she couldn't see my car because her view was blocked by my neighbor's SUV.) Rumors spread like wildfire and most of the time they're not even half-true. The pool is Rumor Central and Complaint Desk.

I enjoyed all the activities and wonderful people, until I started seeing cliques, pettiness and jealousy. Then I made the ultimate mistake of joining the Board of the HOA -- totally thankless job (to be expected) and even though they can't even get people to run and have constant turnover, some of the malcontents were trying to recall us even though we are the hardest-working Board they've ever had. They totally divided the community, turned many of the elderly residents against the Board and now we're being blamed for everything including the fact that only four people signed up for the potluck and it had to be cancelled. Oh, I also got hate mail attacking me AND my dead mother.

So...I'm looking to get out, just don't know if I can afford it. If you do move to one, go slowly, don't get too involved until you get the lay of the land, try to avoid sitting with the same people at every event because then you don't meet other people, and don't join the Board....unless you're crazy.

OK, sorry to be Debbie Downer, but this past four months has been he**. My Mom wanted me to move here after she died as she thought the place and people were wonderful; now I cry thinking of how they are still talking behind her back, those witches. I know she'd want me to get out of this witches' coven if I could.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:01 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Yes, I inherited a place; going on three years full-time and thinking of moving. A couple things about 55+ communities:

Many built in the condo boom of the 80s/90s are now at the age where the buildings, roofs, infrastructure are needing to be replaced, and many times there isn't enough money in reserves. Therefore, you get hit with a special assessment that can be in the thousands. So check that thoroughly if you do buy.

Be prepared for everyone to be all up in your business. My neighbor's son was visiting for the weekend and parked his van in front of my unit; someone thought I had a boyfriend. Another neighbor asked me where I went every night (I was there but she couldn't see my car because her view was blocked by my neighbor's SUV.) Rumors spread like wildfire and most of the time they're not even half-true. The pool is Rumor Central and Complaint Desk.

I enjoyed all the activities and wonderful people, until I started seeing cliques, pettiness and jealousy. Then I made the ultimate mistake of joining the Board of the HOA -- totally thankless job (to be expected) and even though they can't even get people to run and have constant turnover, some of the malcontents were trying to recall us even though we are the hardest-working Board they've ever had. They totally divided the community, turned many of the elderly residents against the Board and now we're being blamed for everything including the fact that only four people signed up for the potluck and it had to be cancelled. Oh, I also got hate mail attacking me AND my dead mother.

So...I'm looking to get out, just don't know if I can afford it. If you do move to one, go slowly, don't get too involved until you get the lay of the land, try to avoid sitting with the same people at every event because then you don't meet other people, and don't join the Board....unless you're crazy.

OK, sorry to be Debbie Downer, but this past four months has been he**. My Mom wanted me to move here after she died as she thought the place and people were wonderful; now I cry thinking of how they are still talking behind her back, those witches. I know she'd want me to get out of this witches' coven if I could.
Too bad you are having a bad experience but that is far from the norm. Sounds like a small place since you say they have cliques.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:24 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I think it's smart to rent before you buy! I love Las Vegas but I'll be the first to admit it's not for everyone. Maybe you will get tired of the dry heat and decide it's not for you.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:14 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
It sounds like some people never out grow high school. Mean Girls in their 80s?

Old 08-21-2016, 08:38 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
There are many 55+ communities sprouting in Florida.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:02 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
There are many 55+ communities sprouting in Florida.
We are going to visit Ponte Vedra this coming weekend; outside of Jacksonville where we have family.... Strictly looking a 55+ community and only one there is Del Webb

Old 08-21-2016, 12:34 PM

164 posts, read 175,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Too bad you are having a bad experience but that is far from the norm. Sounds like a small place since you say they have cliques.
I bought a condo in South Florida in a 55+ community when I was 37 years old. They were allowed to have 10% of their owners under the age of 55.

The reason that I bought it was that it was cheap. These places were sold to retirees at top dollar when they were new, but now that the places have aged, you couldn't give them away. When the owners died off, their kids sold them cheap to unload them and to avoid the monthly association fees.

I can't say that it would be better to rent for a year, since the first 10 years that I lived there, it couldn't have been better. The finances were strong and the place was well kept until new board members took over and all of the money disappeared.

I have to agree with Avalon08 about everyone being all up in your business. This was definitely the case for me.

The old men kept asking me to come to the pool since to them at 37 years old, I was a young chick. They wanted to see me in a bathing suit. I never did go to the pool.

About a week after I moved in, I was going out to my car to go to work and passed a blind woman walking with a cane and I said "good morning" and she motioned for me to come closer. She whispered to me "have you seen the blonde floozy that moved into 107". I told her I was the blonde floozy in 107 and she stuck her nose in the air and walked away.

I still own the place and have it rented out to a man in his 80's. He has no problem calling me at all hours of the night to tell me he can't sleep because the neighbors are too loud or someone is parked in his spot. The man wants to stay there, so I will not sell until he dies.

Water was included in the monthly fees and apparently there was a leak in an underground pipe and no one noticed for several years since the bills were on autopay and 10's of thousands of dollars were paid out before anyone noticed.

It's a never ending headache. I hope that other people have had a better experience than I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement