Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:42 AM

6,719 posts, read 3,328,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Excellent. Working out and staying strong is a valuable way to spend time. Taking classes and learning? Superb. I like old people that keep learning and refuse to get stupid. Volunteering? Awesome. Helping others is a great way to learn new things and make new friends. I can approve your application to successful status, you're fine. I'm good with your approach, which is the right way to live. You didn't retire, you just changed your schedule to better suit worthy new goals. This is much better than transmogrifying into an idle observer of the lives of others and waiting for the eventuality of an oncology referral. Keep on keeping on.
This has to be one of the most arrogant and egotistical things I've ever read on these forums.

What gives you the idea that you have the right to approve and judge what a person does? You are not a guidance counselor. "You're good" with someone's approach? YOU can approve someone as successful? What a ridiculous thing to say.

Thankfully, the people here don't really need or give a crap about your approval ratings, and couldn't care less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 08:05 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,228,753 times
Quote:
Retirement, or chosen death, is the stupidest thing ever invented. You should be productive until one foot is in the grave. Puttering is for putzes.
Nonsense. Always do everything with both feet.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:51 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,000,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
This has to be one of the most arrogant and egotistical things I've ever read on these forums.

What gives you the idea that you have the right to approve and judge what a person does? You are not a guidance counselor. "You're good" with someone's approach? YOU can approve someone as successful? What a ridiculous thing to say.

Thankfully, the people here don't really need or give a crap about your approval ratings, and couldn't care less.

But you did.

Are you new to philosophical discussions? Determining, describing, and recommending the correct way to live and the best way to live is a primary function of philosophy. We are all able to make our contribution after doing research and thinking about it. I have done both. The two basic fundamentals of being a fully realized and fully functional human being are productive achievement and romantic love. Unless retirement actually causes a change to your species, you still need productive achievement and romantic love throughout your living days. And should pursue and enjoy both for as long as your health and life force permit it.

That means no rest when you retire. You need to do new and different things and you need CHALLENGES AND DIFFICULTY at all stages of your life. To me, that is the correct way to live for objective and rational reasons.

These are philosophical opinions, and I favor no laws preventing sloth and laziness and loneliness and gluing oneself to a television or internet connection in their retirement years. But I think doing that is incorrect and will lead to self-doubt, insecurity, anxiety, and a very low quality of life.

Your mileage will not vary.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
To me, that is the correct way to live for objective and rational reasons.
That's fine and dandy. Knock yourself out, but speak for yourself.

You have neither the wisdom, credentials, or authority to tell someone else how to live.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:26 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,267,096 times
Quote:
Excellent. Working out and staying strong is a valuable way to spend time. Taking classes and learning? Superb. I like old people that keep learning and refuse to get stupid. Volunteering? Awesome. Helping others is a great way to learn new things and make new friends. I can approve your application to successful status, you're fine. I'm good with your approach, which is the right way to live. You didn't retire, you just changed your schedule to better suit worthy new goals. This is much better than transmogrifying into an idle observer of the lives of others and waiting for the eventuality of an oncology referral. Keep on keeping on.
"Old people"? Okay...now I have a better understanding your perspective and age....perhaps mental age or emotional IQ as well? I do hope you're not as patronizing with your parents or other "old people" relatives.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:51 AM

208 posts, read 256,872 times
Hey, lay off Marc! I tend to agree with him. Personally, I'm looking for creative challenges, new and interesting and exciting activities, using my talents and energies and love to improve the world in some way before I die. To think that I could live for the next 30 years only going out to lunch with ***-yaks and shopping--no, that's not the way I want to focus the last years of my life. I will certainly do some of that, but that is not all I want to do. Anyone who doesn't like to hear this and gets defensive about this, well, maybe you aren't in a good place in your retirement and need to think about what you are really accomplishing if you are spending your hard earned dollars and hard earned retirement sort of dwindling down into being a slug.

But the point of this post was about retiring but not feeling one can spend any money. Personally I do not have the assets and pensions and double SS checks that many people on this post have, but I also know that I don't need that much money to live a very rich and fulfilling life. I don't need to buy more things. I don't need to constantly spend money to feel happy and fulfilled. I don't need trips and vacations, updated appliance, fancy gourmet meals, new clothes. If these things are what you want, and you don't feel you have enough money to spend on them without fretting, then don't retire!

Old 08-23-2016, 11:55 AM

21,680 posts, read 12,745,772 times
"But the point of this post was about retiring but not feeling one can spend any money."

Oh, yeah; THAT point.

My problem will be sustaining the real estate I would like to buy WITH my nest egg (ideally, I'd have two or three condos in different [types of] locations, but my income could never sustain the HOAs and maintenance fees. Or should I not buy ANY real estate and just spend that money traveling/staying in hotels instead? Either way, I'd worry about running out.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
Hey, lay off Marc! I tend to agree with him. Personally, I'm looking for creative challenges, new and interesting and exciting activities, using my talents and energies and love to improve the world in some way before I die.
That's fine, and commendable. The point was that he seems to believe that HE knows what's right for everybody.

I seriously doubt you would want to be told what you should or shouldn't do.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:15 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,952,261 times
Quote:
But you did.

Are you new to philosophical discussions? Determining, describing, and recommending the correct way to live and the best way to live is a primary function of philosophy. We are all able to make our contribution after doing research and thinking about it. I have done both. The two basic fundamentals of being a fully realized and fully functional human being are productive achievement and romantic love. Unless retirement actually causes a change to your species, you still need productive achievement and romantic love throughout your living days. And should pursue and enjoy both for as long as your health and life force permit it.

That means no rest when you retire. You need to do new and different things and you need CHALLENGES AND DIFFICULTY at all stages of your life. To me, that is the correct way to live for objective and rational reasons.

These are philosophical opinions, and I favor no laws preventing sloth and laziness and loneliness and gluing oneself to a television or internet connection in their retirement years. But I think doing that is incorrect and will lead to self-doubt, insecurity, anxiety, and a very low quality of life.

Your mileage will not vary.
I have read your thoughts and those of others in response. I must admit you have given me reason to pause and reflect on my current retirement and how to move forward. With that thought in mind you have me thinking I should leave retirement and move on with my life. I am considering the following as of now:

Becoming a stay at home spouse married to another stay at home spouse. That seems to have worked for millions over the generations or!

Along with my wife classifying ourselves as long term unemployed. Lost in the depth of and unable to escape the Great Recession or!

Becoming a small businessman running a startup that is having trouble defining what we want to go on Shark Tank as.

I will think about it more tomorrow when we are back on the beach waiting for a wave to wash our shallow existence away. Yikes what if one consumes us🙀

Old 08-23-2016, 12:42 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,000,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I have read your thoughts and those of others in response. I must admit you have given me reason to pause and reflect on my current retirement and how to move forward. With that thought in mind you have me thinking I should leave retirement and move on with my life. I am considering the following as of now:

Becoming a stay at home spouse married to another stay at home spouse. That seems to have worked for millions over the generations or!

Along with my wife classifying ourselves as long term unemployed. Lost in the depth of and unable to escape the Great Recession or!

Becoming a small businessman running a startup that is having trouble defining what we want to go on Shark Tank as.

I will think about it more tomorrow when we are back on the beach waiting for a wave to wash our shallow existence away. Yikes what if one consumes us🙀

Good idea. You want to avoid this:

The Unspoken Problem with Early Retirement | Cash Cow Couple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement