Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 08:00 AM

11,099 posts, read 9,738,392 times

Advertisements

Our mortgage approval process with BB&T was the smoothest and fastest I've ever experienced. I was expecting much worse since the last time I got a mortgage to refinance our old place it took almost 3 months to get approved for a payment lower than what I was already paying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 04:59 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,331,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
It's highly recommended to rent when relocating for retirement. You want to make sure that the city/town is a good fit and get to know the different neighborhoods before making a commitment. Making a mistake and having to sell later will cost you a 6% real estate commission and more.

As a person who has made many moves and who does not particularly care for the place you are currently living, this should make perfect sense to you.
I have 3 friends, in the last year, that built homes in retirement areas sell and move to a new location within two years of living in the new area. One was less than a year. Yes, if you can, rent first.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:06 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,577,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I have 3 friends, in the last year, that built homes in retirement areas sell and move to a new location within two years of living in the new area. One was less than a year. Yes, if you can, rent first.

We lasted a little over a year in Arizona. Had we rented, we would be out over $20,000 in rent alone. As it stands, we will clear almost $30,000 by selling the house we bought and renovated. By any standard, we came out ahead by buying, and not renting.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,470,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
It's highly recommended to rent when relocating for retirement. You want to make sure that the city/town is a good fit and get to know the different neighborhoods before making a commitment. Making a mistake and having to sell later will cost you a 6% real estate commission and more.

As a person who has made many moves and who does not particularly care for the place you are currently living, this should make perfect sense to you.
The problem is with people with no income. I bet you have SSA and/or a pension, right?

And, you could explain to your landlord, that the standard is to gross-up your income by 25%. If your income is tax-free, then mortgage lenders add 25% to it, to get a gross income figure.

The point is here, not to explain why someone would want to rent, but rather to explain why a landlord can't rent to someone who can't meet their criteria. If the criteria is 3X rent in income, then that's the criteria. And if they change that criteria to "and retirees with no visible means of support, but with cash on hand," then they also have to include anybody else with no visible means of support, but who has cash on hand.

And that's why they can't (or the smart ones won't) rent to a retiree who has tons of cash, but not enough regular income to qualify.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:25 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,209,371 times
Yet they rent to people who can lose their jobs which is the same to me as losing your money in the market. Landlords could what if themselves down to no renters. Or bankers with mortgage loans.
How many people lose jobs and default? Lots, probably more than have with 401ks. So it just seems like discrimination to me.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:59 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,900,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
We lasted a little over a year in Arizona.
Had we rented, we would be out (excerpted) rent alone.
...we will clear almost $30,000 by selling the house we bought and renovated.

By any standard, we came out ahead by buying, and not renting.
How about the standard of not buying a fixer? And then fixing it?

You know, the retiree type being discussed here...
folks newly arrived to a new city focused on meeting people,
making friends, and getting engaged in what's going on in the new city?
---

btw... in addition to the purchase/closing amount:
how much $$ did you lay out on the renovation?
how many of those 400+ days were spent involved in that work?

Old 09-07-2016, 10:49 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,577,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How about the standard of not buying a fixer? And then fixing it?

You know, the retiree type being discussed here...
folks newly arrived to a new city focused on meeting people,
making friends, and getting engaged in what's going on in the new city?
---

btw... in addition to the purchase/closing amount:
how much $$ did you lay out on the renovation?
how many of those 400+ days were spent involved in that work?

We spent about $20k on the renovation. It wasn't a fixer upper, it was just badly out dated and didn't show well. All the work was done in less than 30 days. We were in a rental for two months and we did get out and get involved in a lot of activities.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:08 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,577,480 times
Having good credit and showing money management skills might overcome having all the money in a lump sum. But when you think about it, a lot of people blow through an inheritance or accident settlement in less than a year. Do you have evidence of stable savings prior to the sale? I take it you are not collecting SS or a pension yet? Are you eligible for SS? You could bring the paper that comes in the mail every year.

I usually got mortgages from the department of my local bank that makes auto loans. A little higher interest rate, but much less hassle than a sold loan.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:17 AM

16,263 posts, read 10,388,882 times
This is our plan and I honestly never thought it would be an issue. Thanks for making me aware.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:14 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,641,414 times
Good credit, little debt and THREE TIMES the rent here in Fort Worth/Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement