Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 04:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Actually, now that I think about it... I never actually JOINED the 21st Century. I still drive a no-frills economy car with manual windows and locks that require a key, I use a basic dollar store phone ("disposable") and only for emergencies, I'm still wearing the clothes I wore twenty years ago, I still prefer books to Kindle. So, yeah; retreating from the 21st Century should be a cinch for me! I admit I do have a weakness for the Internet (obviously), but otherwise... Nothing good happening here.
RE: The Internet ...

A 20th Century thing that has somehow survived into the 21st Century. Let's hope it lasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 04:49 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
We're seeing such rampant incidence of cancer, because so many people are living into deep old age.

Are the rates of cancer the same now as they were in the past for young and middle-aged people?

Old 09-16-2016, 04:50 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
RE: The Internet ...

A 20th Century thing that has somehow survived into the 21st Century. Let's hope it lasts.

How did it somehow survive?

Why won't it last?

Old 09-16-2016, 06:06 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Heard it on the news today and it was a lawyer and former prosecutor talking. I have found this person to be right on. And as for which forum I am on, having to endure a Hillary Clinton presidency would be one of the biggest reasons to make me skip to another time so I am not off subject.

I like electronics and modern appliances. I find PC disgusting.
I sure like the way this country girl is thinking!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:25 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
How did it somehow survive?

Why won't it last?
Imagine it getting completely privatized, the only way to access is paid subscription. Sure, it would still be there in some form, but the magic would be gone.

Another possibility - the whole thing becomes a push system, based on business intelligence / AI / complete invasion of your privacy (e.g. Big Brother knows everything about you, everything you buy, everywhere you go). No more searching for what you want. Big Brother pushes what he wants you to want, into your dumb, way-smarter-than-smart phone - or - IoT implant.

Or even worse, imagine it going the way of Roman infrastructure at the end of Late Antiquity.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:25 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
...another disease will probably pop up like HIV/AIDS did, which didn't exist in the 70s (or 60s?).

I think AIDS was around long before it became known. In 1974 I was working in the title department of an oil/gas company. It was my job to process estates and distribute the oil/gas revenue to the heirs. I'll never forget reading the death certificate of a young man (early 30s) who had died in San Francisco the previous year. The cause of death was listed as "pneumonia" but the physician had added that the actual cause of death was "probably unknown" and the deceased had "skin lesions, oral sores, fever, sweats and significant weight loss". The physician also added that he knew of "other young men in the area who died of the same mysterious affliction".

That death certificate and the physician's obvious concern has haunted me all these 40+ years.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
No, I don't.

Why not find something you can do to benefit the world and that allows you to be with others. You might feel better about the human race if you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement