Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:09 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,861,743 times

Advertisements

OP: I couldn't agree more, and I certainly plan to incorporate that attitude into my retirement plans. Its almost like the whole world has gone stark raving nuts since 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 02:34 AM

12,050 posts, read 10,204,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Have you considered the problem is not with them, but with you? "Spending time" sounds like a slow, painful death. What do you have to offer that is important, interesting and exciting to 17 and 19 year olds? If nothing except your own issues comes to mind, then you have your explanation.
That's right! When I hear this mentioned, I figure that they must not be interested in what the person has to say.

If they took out a book and started reading, would anyone say anything? Probably not. Just pretend it's a book.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:48 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,285,774 times
I think social media, 24-access to internet news/blogs, cable TV news has a major influence to why people feel bad about our nation. Frequently I go on camping outings (RV) and get away from all of the above and see that there are great places and people in this country and things aren't nearly as bad as the news outlets want to make them.

What I don't enjoy is the newest pop culture changes. But I'm pretty sure my grandparents, parents experienced the same thing. I don't like reality TV, the latest music lyrics, movies. I think our country can do better. Its disappointing.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:05 AM

4,338 posts, read 4,695,102 times
Quote:
Does anyone else feel that way?
No

Old 09-02-2016, 05:55 AM

I think that it's inherent to the individual to filter what they're watching/reading - otherwise, it appears to be doom and gloomy out there.

I am contemplating, though, moving to a less dense, less populated area later in my retirement to get away from the population growth and all that comes with it (crime, traffic, noise). This is after I've experienced all the positives a bigger city has to offer (arts, music, sports, cultural events).

Serenity now!

Old 09-02-2016, 05:56 AM

344 posts, read 415,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
People even sleeping with their phones next to them.
This is me! I was having trouble sleeping and started listening to podcasts when I went to sleep. I usually listen to old time radio shows some from the 40's! So I use new technology to go way back in time. Some even have the commercials and it is a blast listening to commercials about buying war bonds or hearing about the capabilities of the newest Frigidaire.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:04 AM

7,144 posts, read 9,229,488 times
When my mother in law retired to a condo community in Scottsdale, Arizona she picked a neighborhood on a golf course with a homogeneous group of mostly wealthy retirees. The rich ones drove Mercedes and the poor ones leased new Camrys. The biggest topic was where they would do lunch or when they would go to the pool. They never discussed big social or news issues.

I noticed that she did not even have cable TV, and she did not get the local newspaper. Her only media was the local FM radio channel that played non-commercial classic music all day long. She purposely became oblivious to the real world. I think she tuned it out completely because she wanted to not be stressed. At the time I thought that was peculiar but now I understand.

I think you can reach a point in your life where you realize that worrying about everything just makes your life stressful. Too many problems have no good solution.

If you are like that live life like a good dog. Don't worry, be happy.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
When my mother in law retired to a condo community in Scottsdale, Arizona she picked a neighborhood on a golf course with a homogeneous group of mostly wealthy retirees. The rich ones drove Mercedes and the poor ones leased new Camrys. The biggest topic was where they would do lunch or when they would go to the pool. They never discussed big social or news issues.

I noticed that she did not even have cable TV, and she did not get the local newspaper. Her only media was the local FM radio channel that played non-commercial classic music all day long. She purposely became oblivious to the real world. I think she tuned it out completely because she wanted to not be stressed. At the time I thought that was peculiar but now I understand.

I think you can reach a point in your life where you realize that worrying about everything just makes your life stressful. Too many problems have no good solution.

If you are like that live life like a good dog. Don't worry, be happy.
Very good post. My 79-yr old father should adopt this lifestyle. If you're in your final decade(s) of life, enjoy the final chapters and forget these issues which you have no control over. Let them become someone else's problems to deal with. But stewing over the news has become my fathers full time hobby. And to tell the truth he has every need in the world met (financial, healthcare, family)......not a real problem in the world, really.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:30 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,083,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I think that it's inherent to the individual to filter what they're watching/reading - otherwise, it appears to be doom and gloomy out there.

I am contemplating, though, moving to a less dense, less populated area later in my retirement to get away from the population growth and all that comes with it (crime, traffic, noise). This is after I've experienced all the positives a bigger city has to offer (arts, music, sports, cultural events).

Serenity now!
Do you really think rural areas have lower crime rates and you will be safer in a rural area?

You will certainly be able to find less traffic and noise and more serenity....or will that serenity turn out to be boredom?

Old 09-02-2016, 06:40 AM

34,882 posts, read 30,990,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Do you really think rural areas have lower crime rates and you will be safer in a rural area?

You will certainly be able to find less traffic and noise and more serenity....or will that serenity turn out to be boredom?
Generally the crime in the rural area is drug/domestic and contained to people who know each other. I live in a violent small town, but there is almost no random crime. In violent big city Indianapolis, crime is much more widespread and random.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement