Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 11:40 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

I am "only" 63 and a political moderate, but I just feel that the world for at least the past 15 years is not something I want to be part of. I cannot think of anything new that has happened in the world since about 1999 that I either enjoy or approve of.

I also cannot think of one single thing that has been invented since 2000 that I either need or use. Microwave ovens and cellphones were introduced in the mid-70's; CDs, personal computers, and e-mail became popular in the early 80's, the Internet was put in general use in 1991, and DVDs became popular in the late 1990's. And as far as social issues, equal opportunity for almost everyone was well on its way by 2000, and people generally had more of a "live and let live" attitude. No direct U.S; involvement in any war lasted for more than a dozen years, and people were not generally afraid of "foreigners" -- or even allowing their children to walk to school by themselves. Traveling by plane was somewhat of a pleasure, not one hassle after another. People also knew that if they worked hard and were honest, they could almost certainly earn a decent living (and very few people had the attitude that they were "entitled" to something they didn't earn, unless they were seriously disabled in some way); and most people who worked all their adult lives knew that they would have a fairly comfortable and secure retirement. Basic and routine medical and dental visits did not cost the equivalent of what, to many people, would be a week's salary; and medical insurance and expenses were not often the second greatest expense -- and often the greatest expense -- of retirees (and sometimes of young families, too). And, perhaps most importantly, people had hope that most of the world's problems could and would eventually be solved.

Now, however, it seems to me that the modern world is just mostly ugly and/or unpleasant; and it just makes me want to isolate myself in my home and become a complete recluse. Does anyone else feel that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 11:48 AM

44 posts, read 40,396 times
curmudgeon / misanthrope........ I'm right there with ya

Old 09-01-2016, 11:58 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Well, I'm 78 and I'm not wild about the out of control technology world. I can see my grandkids having arthritis in their fingers at a young age.

Personally, I never bought a cell phone, would not own a microwave OVEN and the ipad, forget it. I didn't buy a desktop until 2005 at age 67...

I'm into holistic health and work to stay off MOST pharma drugs and their surgeries as possible.

Due to advancing OA and a messed up hip replacement, I'm home a lot.

I cannot change the world, but can change ME.

Oh, I can't imagine going near an airport and I travelled a lot in my 40 yrs of working.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:05 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

Now, however, it seems to me that the modern world is just mostly ugly and/or unpleasant; and it just makes me want to isolate myself in my home and become a complete recluse. Does anyone else feel that way?
I am sorry to hear you feel to badly.

I think a great many things have substantially improved in recent years. Computers, emails, smartphones, and the internet have revolutionized many aspects of our lives. We have extensive and rapid access to information. We can easily keep in contact with friends.

Gays and people who are different have been gaining respect and rights that never existed in the past.

Healthcare has advanced. A great many diseases can be successfully treated. Those include mental health issues such as better understanding and treatment for autism, PTSD, and concussions just to mention a few.

Surely there are some negatives. Religious fanatics are high on the list. Of course there is nothing new about the harm caused by religious bigotry. That is as old as civilization. I am even hopeful that this time there were be some corrections for the wars, repression and harm caused in the name of religious belief.

You are asking for agreement by those who might feel as you do. I must let you down. You are not asking for any help with your feelings so I will avoid the obvious conclusions and suggestions.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:16 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Dude: Turn off Fox News. Go outside and smell the roses. Go volunteer.

Last edited by volosong; 09-02-2016 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: fixed quote hypertag

Old 09-01-2016, 12:58 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Nope - I look forward to new discoveries, new ideas, new yummy things to eat - lol!

Who knows - cure for cancer might happen in 2017 - why stick around in the 1990s!

Old 09-01-2016, 01:00 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
At the other house we were the youngest among the retired group there and I got very tired of hearing CONSTANT complaints about the "modern" world and "young people" and how much better things were in the past. At this house the majority of my friends are in their 30s-50s and just a few are my own age and most discussions are about the future, not the past.

Life and the world have changed - sure, not all of it is for the better (the complete lack of any kind of personal privacy, for instance), not all of the technologies are wonderful. But the world spins on and it is up to us to make the best world out of what IS, not seek to go backward.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:03 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I enjoy new technology and it's generally made the world better.

IMO, technology isn't the problem, and is one of the bright spots.

Politics is a mess. Terrorism is a huge issue.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:24 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

Surely there are some negatives. Religious fanatics are high on the list. Of course there is nothing new about the harm caused by religious bigotry. That is as old as civilization.
Of course there is nothing new about the harm caused by anti-religious bigotry either, eh wot?

Old 09-01-2016, 01:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Not me, I enjoy today and look forward to tomorrow. I hope the driverless cars hit the market before I get too old to drive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement