Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 01:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,121,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Retired people sometimes get into comfortable routines. It's the routine that makes it seem like time is going by faster.

Try doing or learning one new thing every day and see if that helps. If it doesn't, try doing two.
Well, I want to respectfully disagree. A regular routine makes time go slower for me. What causes me to feel that time is slipping by too fast are the obligations I seem to have acquired, which don't allow me enough time to do creative things, or read enough books! Or do other things. I rarely have a day that has no obligations attached to it. That is a reason to still like Saturdays. For me this is one day free of obligations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 01:17 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,257,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, I want to respectfully disagree. A regular routine makes time go slower for me. What causes me to feel that time is slipping by too fast are the obligations I seem to have acquired, which don't allow me enough time to do creative things, or read enough books! Or do other things. I rarely have a day that has no obligations attached to it. That is a reason to still like Saturdays. For me this is one day free of obligations.
Cut the obligations!!

Old 09-08-2016, 01:20 PM

One thing that bothers me in retirement are people that say that you are doing something or are interested in something because you "HAVE NOTHING ELSE OR BETTER TO DO".

ugh that just grates on my nerves. I have a sibling that says this all the time. She is the one that also says that she gets so bored her head hurts. So I don't know why she makes fun of what other people do. I have a couple of hobbies that she thinks are silly, so I hear this all the time.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:52 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,211,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Older retirees. Okay - I am in my 50s but hang out with mostly people in their late 60s. Even when I was in high school I never hung out with my classmates. I had friends among them, but didn't do things with them. I went out with my sister and her friends. They had more fun.

Anyway - I sometimes go on trips with these people. I'm always amazed how many problems and issues they still have. I want to think that once you retire and don't have to raise kids, your life is easy and carefree! But I guess not.
How about when the kids you raised come back from a broken relationship with their kids??

Old 09-08-2016, 02:12 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,883,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
How about when the kids you raised come back from a broken relationship with their kids??
Oh, now THAT would bother me!!!

Old 09-08-2016, 02:27 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,002,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
This is an article that was in my local newspaper within the last year entitled, "RECYCLING: Is it really worth the effort? No"

Per the article it states, "Even the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says it only makes sense economically and environmentally to recycle about 35 percent of discarded materials. Among those materials are paper and aluminum cans, according to the agency."
"If one includes the cost of collecting glass waste in small quantities from neighborhoods, and the pollution produced by the collection trucks and the recycling process itself, glass recycling creates more greenhouse gas emissions and is more expensive than making new glass, which comes primarily from sand, an abundant raw material.

No wonder many municipalities across the country continue to pick up glass in recycling trucks only to dump it at the local landfill.

Why the charade? Because “reduce, reuse, recycle” is an emotional mantra, not reasonable environmental policy, and years of indoctrination has left most Americans blind to the actual evidence surrounding recycling programs.

By sending an extra fleet of trucks around town once a week, adherents of the recycling religion actually are undermining their stated goal of protecting the environment."

https://www.abqjournal.com/698397/no-2.html
Well, that was pretty disingenuous of you. Not to mention downright sneaky.

First of all, you post an opinion piece about recycling and call it an article, implying that the "reporter" for the newspaper has studied the issue and determined that recycling is not worth the effort.

Secondly, and more dishonestly, you fail to mention that this was one of two columns that were published on the same day in the same newspaper as sort of a debate on the merits of recycling.

The other column, which you conveniently neglected to even mention in your post, was titled (obviously):

Recycling: Is it Really Worth The Effort? Yes

https://www.abqjournal.com/698396/ye...=related+posts

I find it sublimely amusing that in the quoted argument against recycling, the author rhetorically asks Why the charade? Since you chose to C&P a column presenting just one side of the debate and tried to pass it off as if it was a settled issue, I might ask you the same question.

Why the charade?

Old 09-08-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I don't know - maybe leave them the house and take off!

Old 09-08-2016, 02:59 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,380,472 times
Thanks, Mad Man, for researching this more carefully. Actually I did not see the pro-recycling article as I simply googled on whether recycling was worthwhile and the article that I posted showed up. It was a commentary but was written by a faculty member in the business department at a major university. But I also looked at some other websites and most showed that glass and many plastics and probably a few other items are not that worthwhile to recycle with glass being at the bottom of the heap. These also rated metal and paper (but not newspaper so much) as highly recyclable. Which is why I specifically quoted the article concerning glass and considered this commentary to be rather representative of the issue.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:43 PM

19,770 posts, read 9,319,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
One thing that bothers me in retirement are people that say that you are doing something or are interested in something because you "HAVE NOTHING ELSE OR BETTER TO DO".

ugh that just grates on my nerves. I have a sibling that says this all the time. She is the one that also says that she gets so bored her head hurts. So I don't know why she makes fun of what other people do. I have a couple of hobbies that she thinks are silly, so I hear this all the time.
I certainly hope that doesn't bother you! One of the blessings of being older is (hopefully) learning that what other people think about what you do shouldn't matter in the least (as long, of course, that what you do doesn't hurt anyone).

So, if your passion is collecting vintage Barbie doll clothes or making 3-D "art" out of popsicle sticks (just for example), so what?!

Maybe you should tell your sibling, "Why do you care? Don't YOU have nothing else or better to do?"

Old 09-08-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I certainly hope that doesn't bother you! One of the blessings of being older is (hopefully) learning that what other people think about what you do shouldn't matter in the least (as long, of course, that what you do doesn't hurt anyone).

So, if your passion is collecting vintage Barbie doll clothes or making 3-D "art" out of popsicle sticks (just for example), so what?!

Maybe you should tell your sibling, "Why do you care? Don't YOU have nothing else or better to do?"
lol - good one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement