Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:22 PM

306 posts, read 416,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post

How is that different from everyone else who is employed and getting a paycheck every month?
exactly! And a lot of folks working do so for the same amount without a COL raise or other. I am fortunate now in tat I do get COL raises where i work but in the past I had many jobs that could go years without an increase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 10:05 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,780,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
exactly! And a lot of folks working do so for the same amount without a COL raise or other. I am fortunate now in tat I do get COL raises where i work but in the past I had many jobs that could go years without an increase
When retirees ask for discounts beyond my standard senior citizens discount, I ask them if they enjoy being retired. They always answer yes. Then I say I hope to retire someday too. They usually get the point.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:21 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I dont like the idleness. Although my creaking joints appreciate not having to hike from parking lot to office, my brain misses the constant stimulation of a new person to talk to, or a new problem to solve.

We recycle, but are dismayed to hear that glass is not worth recycling anymore, and several recycle centers have closed down.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:45 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I dont like the idleness. .....
This is a choice you have made. The world is full of new opportunities for learning, for accomplishment, to contribute to the general welfare, for personal growth and, yes, for excitement also. You can make different choices.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:49 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I remember my parents taking us on a vacation in the late 1950's. We had stopped at a fast food place. We kept driving while we ate and, once we were finished, my dad rolled down his window and tossed the trash out the window. I asked him why he had done that and his reply was that people were hired to pick it up. Even as a child, I was appalled. The shoulders on the expressway were filled with trash and was horrible to look at!
So true - that was the attitude even into the '70s. Remember the commercials with the Native American chief with a tear rolling down his cheek - "Keep America Beautiful"?

Old 09-08-2016, 07:24 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So true - that was the attitude even into the '70s. Remember the commercials with the Native American chief with a tear rolling down his cheek - "Keep America Beautiful"?
One of the last episodes of Mad Men showed the Draper family having a picnic. When they got up to leave, they took the blanket and basket and just left everything else there to fly off in the breeze.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:59 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
This is an article that was in my local newspaper within the last year entitled, "RECYCLING: Is it really worth the effort? No"

Per the article it states, "Even the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says it only makes sense economically and environmentally to recycle about 35 percent of discarded materials. Among those materials are paper and aluminum cans, according to the agency."

"If one includes the cost of collecting glass waste in small quantities from neighborhoods, and the pollution produced by the collection trucks and the recycling process itself, glass recycling creates more greenhouse gas emissions and is more expensive than making new glass, which comes primarily from sand, an abundant raw material.

No wonder many municipalities across the country continue to pick up glass in recycling trucks only to dump it at the local landfill.

Why the charade? Because “reduce, reuse, recycle” is an emotional mantra, not reasonable environmental policy, and years of indoctrination has left most Americans blind to the actual evidence surrounding recycling programs.

By sending an extra fleet of trucks around town once a week, adherents of the recycling religion actually are undermining their stated goal of protecting the environment."

https://www.abqjournal.com/698397/no-2.html

Thanks for this... I think. It's depressing but I understand.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:10 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

I remember him. Espera Oscar de Corti aka Iron Eyes Cody. He was a Sicilian-American who played Indian roles.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:26 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
I'm a recycler, but it annoys me that recycling pick up is every other week, and garbage is every week. My recycling bin fills up, but the garbage one always has room. If they want me to recycle so bad, why isn't this reversed??
AND...my daughter lives in NYC. In her apartment building ALL garbage goes down a chute out in the hall. No recycling at all. So if NYC isn't recycling, what's the point of the rest of us doing it?
And my third question, why are we talking about recycling in the "Things that bother you in Retirement" thread?

Old 09-08-2016, 01:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
My business gives a 5% senior citizens discount. Even though they have had their entire lives to save for it.

How is that different from everyone else who is employed and getting a paycheck every month?
If you work for company A and you get a promotion, you will probably get a raise. Later, if you find a different job with a company B, you would probably agree to move to it for a raise in salary. You always have the potential to find a better paying job, or remain with one company long enough to qualify for yearly raises.

You also can be fired, layed off, or demoted. So you also have the potential to have a lowered income.

If someone is on a fixed income, he or she cannot expect increases or decreases in their income. SS recipients do receive small cost of living increases, but not so much in the last few years. A lucky few people get col raises with their pensions, but those people are in minority.

Fixed income as a term is usually used to designate a class of people whose income is gradually giving ground to inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement