Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 05:08 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Good Luck and hiring someone to help you may be a good thing to do the first day home.

Is he an active man, PT is critical and I know good stories and not good stories on these replacements. I'm 78 and doing all I know possible to save myself from one of these. Hip replacement in 2010, left me with a lot of complications, including worse knee. Extra weight is not a help. This is truth.

Lots of Icing. And Moving. PT should give you important instructions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 05:25 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Thankfully, we only have 2 tiny steps on the porch. That's a good idea about me going to his appointment with the nurse (if he'll let me--very private guy).

Luckily, our daughter and a male friend have now offered to come help bring DH from the car to the house and daughter can stay a few days to help, if needed. Our insurance pays for Physical Therapist to come to the house, but I need to find out for how long. DH does not want to talk about any of this. Guess he is in denial about the whole process!

Tonight. I'm going to watch YouTube videos about knee replacement.

I appreciate all the input!

Old 09-06-2016, 05:27 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times
Perhaps he will be given a 'knee walker' (which cradles the injured knee and is wheeled, while he pushes along with the other leg).

Old 09-06-2016, 05:30 PM

9 posts, read 10,803 times
Not knowing how your husband will respond to surgery, I can only tell you about mine. And I only had
one bad knee, the other is just fine. I stayed in the hospital for 2 1/2 days and did not come home
that same day like your husband is doing. Why is he coming home so soon? I would not have wanted
to come home the same day, plus was getting IV meds.

Last November I had a TKR about 1pm on a Tuesday, back to my room around 4pm, got up with
help to the bathroom a bit later, using a walker. The next day I had some limited PT, then walked around and around the entire unit. Came home on Thursday morning, got into the truck and up the few stairs
to our house by using my non-operative leg, and then all walking I did at home was using a walker.
The next day, Friday, had my first PT appt. at the orthopedic group, and THEN...............went to
the supermarket to pick up a prescription, went to a home improvement store, went to another grocery
store, and then another pharmacy. Wherever there was a shopping cart, I used that instead of the walker.

Of course, I was driven, since I wasn't allowed to drive for a month, and was taking pain pills. My new
knee just felt SO MUCH better than the old one, that any discomfort was minimal in comparison.
My doctor also put a pain blocker in my knee during surgery, which I'm sure helped even though it was
temporary.

The biggest discomfort was trying to sleep, because I had to sleep on my back for the first week,
with my knees pressed against the mattress, and.............those horrible white stockings, which are
thigh high and so stinking tight. I had to wear the stockings for a month, except for showers.

The hospital gave me ice packs which I used a lot, and I did have pain meds to take, but the hardest part
was the lack of sleep. I was tired for a month.

I went to PT twice a week, and some of those exercises are painful, but necessary.

Eleven days after surgery, I was out Christmas shopping, and living my normal, if very tired, life.
I used a walker for maybe 10 days or so, and definitely for middle of the night trips out of bed. I used
a cane for a few days and then just walked.

Helpful items were a bath mat in the tub to stand on while showering, of course a walker, a cane and
a raised toilet seat. If you have "grab rails" in the tub, that's good, and help getting in and out of the
shower until I was able to do it without a problem.

My goals for after the surgery were to: be able to ride a bike (with crank forward pedals), drive a
standard shift car, and be able to walk all over without a limp, nor pain. I'm very happy with my surgery.

All that I have said above is about ME. I was 65 and not physically fit. I have no idea how your husband will manage, nor his health status, nor his age. I know my doctor wanted me up and around as fast as
possible - no sitting around, no recliners, etc.

I also kept a journal of that time period, which I'm looking at as I write this. It's good to be able to look
and see the improvement as time passes.

Again, it was ME and MY health, and MY doctor and MY physical therapist. I can't answer for your husband.
I wish him the best of luck and great mobility after the surgery!

Old 09-06-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Look at all the videos on utube! Get rid of all your throw rugs and move things so he can get around more easily. Buy a transfer bench for the shower too. Showers will be a mess for a while but it gets better!

50ft... I am thinking he will need a wheelchair on day 0. The aide is a good idea.

And get your handicapped parking documents in order too! You will need that for sure.
Great idea about the handicap sticker. I hadn't thought about that.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:12 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Thankfully, we only have 2 tiny steps on the porch. That's a good idea about me going to his appointment with the nurse (if he'll let me--very private guy).

Luckily, our daughter and a male friend have now offered to come help bring DH from the car to the house and daughter can stay a few days to help, if needed. Our insurance pays for Physical Therapist to come to the house, but I need to find out for how long. DH does not want to talk about any of this. Guess he is in denial about the whole process!

Tonight. I'm going to watch YouTube videos about knee replacement.

I appreciate all the input!
I have to say, your husband seems like his own worst enemy. That 'private guy' stuff has to go, as you will be given so much info that it is just common sense to have someone with the patient when talking with a health professional. As for 'being in denial', he has not been diagnosed with a terminal illness. It is a knee replacement, not a heart transplant! He really needs to get over his issues if he wants the best possible results.

As we all get older, we don't have the luxury of maintaining all our personality quirks. Sometimes the reality of certain situations call for a change of perspective.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddledeedee View Post
Not knowing how your husband will respond to surgery, I can only tell you about mine. And I only had
one bad knee, the other is just fine. I stayed in the hospital for 2 1/2 days and did not come home
that same day like your husband is doing. Why is he coming home so soon? I would not have wanted
to come home the same day, plus was getting IV meds.

Last November I had a TKR about 1pm on a Tuesday, back to my room around 4pm, got up with
help to the bathroom a bit later, using a walker. The next day I had some limited PT, then walked around and around the entire unit. Came home on Thursday morning, got into the truck and up the few stairs
to our house by using my non-operative leg, and then all walking I did at home was using a walker.
The next day, Friday, had my first PT appt. at the orthopedic group, and THEN...............went to
the supermarket to pick up a prescription, went to a home improvement store, went to another grocery
store, and then another pharmacy. Wherever there was a shopping cart, I used that instead of the walker.

Of course, I was driven, since I wasn't allowed to drive for a month, and was taking pain pills. My new
knee just felt SO MUCH better than the old one, that any discomfort was minimal in comparison.
My doctor also put a pain blocker in my knee during surgery, which I'm sure helped even though it was
temporary.

The biggest discomfort was trying to sleep, because I had to sleep on my back for the first week,
with my knees pressed against the mattress, and.............those horrible white stockings, which are
thigh high and so stinking tight. I had to wear the stockings for a month, except for showers.

The hospital gave me ice packs which I used a lot, and I did have pain meds to take, but the hardest part
was the lack of sleep. I was tired for a month.

I went to PT twice a week, and some of those exercises are painful, but necessary.

Eleven days after surgery, I was out Christmas shopping, and living my normal, if very tired, life.
I used a walker for maybe 10 days or so, and definitely for middle of the night trips out of bed. I used
a cane for a few days and then just walked.

Helpful items were a bath mat in the tub to stand on while showering, of course a walker, a cane and
a raised toilet seat. If you have "grab rails" in the tub, that's good, and help getting in and out of the
shower until I was able to do it without a problem.

My goals for after the surgery were to: be able to ride a bike (with crank forward pedals), drive a
standard shift car, and be able to walk all over without a limp, nor pain. I'm very happy with my surgery.

All that I have said above is about ME. I was 65 and not physically fit. I have no idea how your husband will manage, nor his health status, nor his age. I know my doctor wanted me up and around as fast as
possible - no sitting around, no recliners, etc.

I also kept a journal of that time period, which I'm looking at as I write this. It's good to be able to look
and see the improvement as time passes.

Again, it was ME and MY health, and MY doctor and MY physical therapist. I can't answer for your husband.
I wish him the best of luck and great mobility after the surgery!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I read it to my husband and he is appreciative, as well.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:48 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
You can also rent a wheelchair.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:48 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,518 posts, read 6,325,899 times
I had knee surgery for a meniscus tear and some deposits so not nearly as bad as a replacement.

All good suggestions. Id like to add besides a raised toilet seat you need to get the side bars. I found that I needed to raise and lower myself with my arms so I wouldn't put stress on my knee. Also he will need a high seated chair. Sitting on the sofa was out of the question too low. Luckily my wingbacks are pretty high and I was able to double up the cushions. I ended up using my computer chair a lot. Right height and you can push yourself around.

The PT should discuss steps. My Doc said do not put weight on your knee while its bent. You step up on your good leg followed by your bad leg kept straight. One step at a time. You go down with your bad leg straight followed by your good leg bent. Again one step at a time.

Get a tray for the walker so he can carry things. Also get a thermos jug etc so he doesn't need to call you every time he wants a drink.

I hope things go well for your husband. I'm glad you have people coming to help.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:49 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Your daughter and friend sound like a great back up to have. I'm thinking dinner for them! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement