Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 08:29 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times

Advertisements

I found out this morning after DH finally pulled out his paperwork and it said he was actually having a FULL Knee Replacement that apparently the doctor recommends a class on knee replacement at the nearby hospital. Who knew! This is the first I'd heard about it. So DH has signed us up for it and I definitely plan to go.

It's good that I am receiving advice from all of you (and passing it on to DH). Seems like he finally is beginning to realize we have to prepare for this surgery.

Thanks to all of you I'm learning a lot about what to do and DH is slowly coming around to realize we have make plans for the surgery and the aftermath. It looks like others reading our thread are gaining valuable knowledge also.

I appreciate all of you and am very thankful for your input and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 09:36 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I found out this morning after DH finally pulled out his paperwork and it said he was actually having a FULL Knee Replacement that apparently the doctor recommends a class on knee replacement at the nearby hospital. Who knew! This is the first I'd heard about it. So DH has signed us up for it and I definitely plan to go.

It's good that I am receiving advice from all of you (and passing it on to DH). Seems like he finally is beginning to realize we have to prepare for this surgery.

Thanks to all of you I'm learning a lot about what to do and DH is slowly coming around to realize we have make plans for the surgery and the aftermath. It looks like others reading our thread are gaining valuable knowledge also.

Yes, the class will cover all the basics he will need from admission to his stay. It also give him and you a chance to ask any questions you might have. It would be a really good idea to write any questions down before hand to have handy when he goes to the class. Sometimes it can get confusing when a lot of info is thrown at you. Writing it down before will help. You should get a packet of info at the class.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:12 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
I don't know if it is a partial or full knee replacement. I think he is in denial about anything to do with this procedure and didn't ask the doc questions!
What you describe is a recipe for being dissatisfied with the outcome.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:13 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
I'm not familiar with a toilet seat riser. Where would I be able to purchase one?
Probably a medical supply store or a drugstore that has a lot of medical type equipment.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:20 AM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You can also rent a wheelchair.
In my home town the fire department had equipment they would lend. Where I live now my gym lends similar equipment.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:23 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
He will come home the same day as the surgery.
It sounds like the surgery will not be done in a hospital. It sounds like it will be done in a surgery center.

Ask why. Ask for documentation on infection rates at this surgery center and compare it to the hospital.

My guess is the surgeon is a part owner of the surgery center -- so he earns $$$ both from billing you as the surgeon and also shares in the profit the surgery center earns from billing you separately.

One advantage of a hospital over a surgery center is in general a hospital will not release you if you are unable to negotiate stairs.

In addition to Physical Therapy, if it were me I would demand Occupational Therapy. In my case the Occupational Therapy was very valuable. The OT therapist taught me in my house how to do everyday things such as get out of bed, make it to the toilet, get things from the refrigerator to the table, etc.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with a toilet seat riser. Where would I be able to purchase one?
Try amazon and them your local drug stores.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:

I think this thread will help a lot of people. Just think 10 or 15 years ago you could not get this type of help.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
It sounds like the surgery will not be done in a hospital. It sounds like it will be done in a surgery center.

Ask why. Ask for documentation on infection rates at this surgery center and compare it to the hospital.

My guess is the surgeon is a part owner of the surgery center -- so he earns $$$ both from billing you as the surgeon and also shares in the profit the surgery center earns from billing you separately.

One advantage of a hospital over a surgery center is in general a hospital will not release you if you are unable to negotiate stairs.

In addition to Physical Therapy, if it were me I would demand Occupational Therapy. In my case the Occupational Therapy was very valuable. The OT therapist taught me in my house how to do everyday things such as get out of bed, make it to the toilet, get things from the refrigerator to the table, etc.
Check your insurance. The doctor can be covered and the surgery center out of net work. Find out what your co pay will be now so you are not hit the morning of the surgery.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:21 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Try amazon and them your local drug stores.
Amazon has them. I had to buy one after back surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement