Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 05:54 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,706,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
With 75% of your insurance being paid by the government it is a massive hit if you separate and have to wait three years to get back into FEHB.

In the meantime, with someone of average health, what are some affordable private options?
You won’t be able to get back, you need to keep it continuously at least 5 years before you retire. Otherwise, you don’t get to carry FEHB insurance when you retire.
It’s your choice if you think ACA is better.

Read this link for more accurate information on eligibility.
https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur...e/eligibility/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 06:08 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,536,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You won’t be able to get back, you need to keep it continuously at least 5 years before you retire. Otherwise, you don’t get to carry FEHB insurance when you retire.
It’s your choice if you think ACA is better.

Read this link for more accurate information on eligibility.
https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur...e/eligibility/
I believe a delayed retirement means you can restart your FEHB when you start receiving your pension.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I believe a delayed retirement means you can restart your FEHB when you start receiving your pension.
Where do you read that, do you have a link?
I only see 18 months under TCC.
https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur.../#url=Pamphlet

Old 04-26-2019, 06:46 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,536,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Where do you read that, do you have a link?
I only see 18 months under TCC.
https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur.../#url=Pamphlet

https://plan-your-federal-retirement...ed-retirement/

Old 04-26-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Yes you need at least 10 years at MRA. I’ve asked this question and you never answered.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Right, this reply doesn’t give enough information to give a correct answer whether it’s pospobing or deferring. They are both delaying retirement.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:49 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,370,917 times
This is an article that explains some of the FEHB options. The author of the article also discusses a COBRA type option for 18 months. One has to be careful with these retirement decisions and run them by your agency HR. If you misunderstand something and make the wrong decision, it can be difficult to reverse that decision. As the author explains it, you can continue your FEHB if you take the 5% a year penalty or reduction in pension.

https://plan-your-federal-retirement...rs-retirement/

Old 04-27-2019, 03:46 AM

771 posts, read 1,041,756 times
Here’s what OPM has to say:

If you separated from Federal service after reaching the Minimum Retirement Age with at least 10 years of service, but postponed the commencing date of your annuity to reduce or avoid the age reduction, you are eligible to reenroll in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program and the Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance Program, if you participated in the program for the 5 years of service immediately before you separated from Federal service or continu* ally from your earliest opportunity. You are also eligible to reenroll in the Federal Dental and Vision Program if you were enrolled when you separated from Federal Service.

I’m on my tablet and I can’t seem to get links to post. The info above is from Pamphlet RI92-19a
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement