Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 09:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I know credit cards are one of the roots of all evil but we really like our airline miles. You just have to pay off the balance each month.
Yes. We have one credit card that we use exclusively. We get dollars back, which DH puts into savings. I think using one credit card, paying off the balance every month, and choosing a card with incentives is a good way to get a little back for your spending.

I think some newer sheets do not wear as well as they did even 10 years ago. I think I bought a slightly better set this time, but time will tell. I actually have only one set for each bed in the house. I keep thinking I need another set, but I don't ever do buy it.

Pillows! I bit the bullet and bought myself a good down pillow. I love it. I have no idea how I will clean it. This pillow is a splurge, after using crummy old pillows for years.

I do save us a little money by not buying bottled salad dressing. I consider them expensive and really not that good. I make ours, or use a good olive oil and a good vinegar alone. We also do not buy alcohol of any sort, unless you count the cooking wine I buy from time to time. You can spend a lot on wine.

We do most of our own outdoor yard work. And, I don't have house cleaners come in, although I would dearly love to. So, we don't have those expenses. It may be that we will more expenses in this line as we grow older.

We are driving well cared for older cars. No car payments or urge to buy a new one.

I do not spend big dollars for cosmetics or fragrance. I do not spend extra for hair color or treatments. So, I save that way as well.

We shop at one grocer that gives consistent good value for much of our food, and one high quality store for good produce and a few other products. I dislike messing with coupons which usually are available only for highly processed foods anyway, which I try to stay away from.

For us saving money is more of lifestyle choice than pinching pennies. We try to make big decisions that govern how we spend, rather than spending mental energy on getting every product as cheap as possible. That has worked for us in the past, and that's how we are rolling now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 10:09 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Don't run the water while brushing your teeth

Don't run hot water just to wash your hands---it kicks in the hot water heater

keep one set of towels per person/per week hung up in the bathroom and one wash/dry per week

put back uneaten canned cat food into containers for later and leave kibble on the floor. Otherwise the cats bug you for a fresh can when there's already food on the floor. Don't put the wet food in the fridge, just store it in a sealed container during the day, that way it doesn't go stale.

dilute shampoo & conditioner about 25% water

save samples of soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc for traveling

Old 09-18-2016, 11:19 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Don't run the water while brushing your teeth

Don't run hot water just to wash your hands---it kicks in the hot water heater

keep one set of towels per person/per week hung up in the bathroom and one wash/dry per week

put back uneaten canned cat food into containers for later and leave kibble on the floor. Otherwise the cats bug you for a fresh can when there's already food on the floor. Don't put the wet food in the fridge, just store it in a sealed container during the day, that way it doesn't go stale.

dilute shampoo & conditioner about 25% water

save samples of soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc for traveling
Regarding diluting shampoo...I have a Shower Dispenser with a push button, like in a public bathroom? To get a normal amount, you have to pump about four or five times. I've learned that two pumps does the job, and doesn't damage my hair...

Old 09-19-2016, 12:27 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
Mine-

Never use paper towel except for cleaning mirrors. Otherwise I use white washcloths, bleaching them weekly with the towels. Total annual savings: $150

Wearing heavy sweaters, long underwear and thermal socks indoors when it gets cold... and using heavy comforters. Turning down the heat annual savings: $500+

Checking all the weekly circulars to find the best deals, then stocking up on the frozen items and nonperishables at good prices. Annual savings: $1,000

Unplugging/switching off major electronics and appliances when not in use. Annual savings: $100

Riding my bike for short trips around town instead of taking a car. Annual savings: $500

Using energy efficient lightbulbs at low settings. Annual savings: $250

Using the convection oven on the countertop instead of the stove for small meals. Annual savings: $100-200

Making homemade maxi pads instead of store-bought ones. Annual savings: $250

Shopping at the dollar store for cleaning products, stationary, and cards. Annual savings: $200

Hair color at home with professional products, growing hair out and only seeing the stylist twice per year. Annual savings: $2,500

Not eating takeout or dining out often. Annual savings: $10,000

Repairing old heels on shoes instead of throwing them out and buying new. Annual savings: $100-200

Sewing and repairing old basics instead of buying new. Annual savings: $200-300

When I do need new shoes and basics, only shopping the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. Annual savings: $1,000

I know the numbers because I use a computer program to track my budget. I use the savings to pay down bills, take vacations, and fund my retirement. It has also made me healthier as I can control the ingredients and amount of oil in my cooking. Sleeping at lower temperatures helps burn more calories. And riding my bike instead of getting into the car helps me exercise more. Between all of these things I saved over $17,000 last year alone as a single person. It also helped me to lose weight, lower my cholesterol, and increase my muscle-to-fat ratio.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 09-19-2016 at 12:52 AM..

Old 09-19-2016, 06:40 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Nice list of savings, but I seriously question the amounts you claim to have saved. You would have to eat every meal at a restaurant to save $10000 per year. I buy paper towels at Costco. I use a lot of them, about $20/year. I think I would need to spend more than that replacing and washing cloths. I cannot imagine how you save $1000/year by shopping for shoes at Nordstroms. Even if the shoes were free that would be 10 years worth for me.

If you significantly cut down on heat and AC and use of your car, I would agree you have some significant savings. The rest just sounds like wise shopping that most of us do routinely.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:04 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Sheesh - don't buy junk you can't afford. I'm just venting here.

Our local page had a lady begging someone to help her fix her car because she can't afford much. A few posts later she is buying candy from someone having a fundraiser. The thought process there (IMO) just does not compute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-19-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Nice list of savings, but I seriously question the amounts you claim to have saved. You would have to eat every meal at a restaurant to save $10000 per year. I buy paper towels at Costco. I use a lot of them, about $20/year. I think I would need to spend more than that replacing and washing cloths. I cannot imagine how you save $1000/year by shopping for shoes at Nordstroms. Even if the shoes were free that would be 10 years worth for me.

If you significantly cut down on heat and AC and use of your car, I would agree you have some significant savings. The rest just sounds like wise shopping that most of us do routinely.
I was curious about the food also. I guess it depends on what you are used to doing - where you ate etc and what percentage of your income that covers.

It breaks down to 30 dollars a day - which in reality is about right if you live in the city.

When we travelled for work with the military, our rates were more than that. But then it wasn't money coming out of our pocket.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Sheesh - don't buy junk you can't afford. I'm just venting here.

This is important, IMO. And small purchases for junk add up to big dollars, if you keep making similar purchases. I think for some people, just spending a few bucks every few days makes them happy. But you can end up with a house full of junk, and nothing of value to show for the dollars you spent.

Knowing things like this are good way to avoid foolish frittering away of one's resources.

I'd rather buy good quality food, decent furniture (when needed), decent quality clothing. I'd rather take a trip now and again. I'd like to be able to eat out from time to time. That's where I want to spend my money.

At retirement age I think we should give ourselves experiences and conveniences that we've not been able to afford before. But the trick is to know what you value. If resources are lean, then harder choices have to be made. But, buying the things that you value is smart. Wishing you could buy the thing you value, but not being able to because you are spending too much on junk, or eating out too often for your budget, or indulging in some other spendy habit, is not smart.

I also don't think that saving every penny on everything you buy is a good expenditure of my mental energy. If you value doing this, then you should do this. Honestly, I don't. As I posted before, I take generalized steps to ensure we don't waste our money. That, and thinking about what I want and value, is how I handle money.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:49 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Making homemade maxi pads instead of store-bought ones. Annual savings: $250
Huh?

Old 09-19-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Huh?
Yep. Forgot what they are called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement